New to me 1971 4320

cab

New User
I just acquired a 4320 that appears very clean for it's age. Have noticed several issues and need some wisdom.

First, when using brake to turn left or right there is a growling sound like a gear that is spinning against another gear instead of meshing. But the brake will lock up the wheel and let you turn on a dime. Pulled sump screen and it was pretty clean with zero brass shavings. Drained and replaced oil and transmission/hydraulic filter also. All in all everything was clean as you would hope but noise sounds unusual. When you stomp on both brakes to stop there is no growling noise whatsoever.

Second, when not moving steering does not correlate to movement of steering wheel. Once you get going it steers ok. This and above issue occur with clutch engaged and disengaged.

Last, tractor has a kd 5000 loader hooked to scv remote. I have read there is a better way to plumb it. Is there a thread that applies to this that gives part numbers for spool valve assembly, t fittings, and everything else needed to free up the scv? I have searched but only found marginally applicable material.

Thanks!

JD hyd oil has an anti brake chatter additive added to it.

For hyd pressure for FEL one needs to tee into where fitting(parts key 2 is located.
mvphoto20016.gif

For return oil from FEL valve can be routed to ported hyd filter cover.

mvphoto20018.jpg

You could also get a power beyond block(parts key 3) in lieu of the 1st two ways.
mvphoto20020.gif

For a control valve you can get one of your choice at Surplus center. Be sure to get & install the "closed center" plug circled in red
mvphoto20021.png

Thanks Jim. With power beyond kit does all plumbing go to the power beyond or must the hydraulic filter be tapped for return?

Any reason not to go with power beyond? Seems like the cleanest setup of the options mentioned.

Tractor is a 1972 year model. Typo in my first post. Can't find the edit function.

Power beyond block isn't cheap but is cheaper from A&I vs JD parts. Cowling around rear breakaway must be altered when PBY block is installed.. Ported filter cover is not required(utilized) when PBY block is installed.

Everyone that we have ever done involved tapping into supply line for rockshaft (parts key #6). Lately we have been removing line, remove length of tube corresponding to length of tee and have them refare the tube and install T. I have been using a 2603-10-10-10 Tompkins tee that most places can cross reference. Route hose out from under platform to valve so that you dont have to route the hose from under the cowl.

mvphoto20189.jpg

Is it one of these lines that must be removed for installing the tee? I am not understanding the exploded diagram very well.

A pic of one installed would help. I keep finding 4020 pics showing the pressure line by brake pedals which doesn't apply to a 4320.

No that is not the area you are looking for,, the pressure line comes up from the front of the tractor under the right side of the hood, then runs down under the platform to the rockshaft

The power beyond block that mounts behind a SCV is the cleanest way of hooking in for a loader on your tractor, the other way is to tie into the line under the floor board and bring a hose out to supply the loader valve and a ported filter bowl for the return, there is not enough slack to put a "TEE" fitting into the line under the floor board, you would need to cut and re-flare it, this works out okay, but if you need to remove the line to reflare it that is a nasty job,, I would replace the steel line with a hose if you plan on going this route..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back