Oliver 1955 gravity fuel issue

QUESTIONS: how much fuel is in the tank your drawing from? IF full sounds to me like filter is causing problems. How old is fuel going in. could there be water in fuel? Please let us know what you find out to be the problem.

I agree. The Olivers with fender tanks had vented and non vented caps. Unfortunately we never had a tractor with the fender tanks when I was around. We have a 2150 with them ,but I have never messed with it.. Always had fuel when I was goin to drive it. Maybe an operators manual wold tell you how it switched from the main tank to the fender tanks.

Hi:

Lots of good ideas here especially in understanding how things work.

I agree with scootergmc, I do not believe the problem to be the filters. If the tractor runs with external fuel supply then the problem is before the filters. I had a similar problem and eventually found a bee stuck in the fuel line at the elbow. It did not block the line so fuel would flow fine until the tractor was started. The bee slowed the fuel flow enough for the tractor to run out of fuel. Blowing air thru the line did not help because the bee did not block the line. I rigged up a wire to pass thru the line and found the bee.

Keep at it you will find the problem.

Very good to know I think my next step since the cab seems
really easy to tilt backwards, is to get that tank out of there and
get it spotless. That way I know Im good for the future and then
give it another whirl and go from there.

I once had a leaf in a gas tank, it would float around and at times it would float over the outlet and plug it
and the engine would die, without the tractor running and creating vacuum the leaf would float away and
it would start back up. with a fuller tank it would float higher and seldom cover the outlet, very
frustrating. cleaning your tank seems to be order.

With fender tanks, the main tank is non vented and the fender tanks are vented. The main tank will suck fuel out of fender tanks and then get air from them. You do not move the caps from tank to tank.

Yes, got the cab jacked up and the fuel tank out of it. Going to clean it out really good and make sure its spotless and then go from there.

Got the tank out and cut a hole in top to get my hand in there and clean it out. Some rust but my issue I believe was a wadded up piece of electrical tape. Looks like it would float around and get sucked into the feed pipe. Going to clean and line the tank and should be good to go!

If you have a good local radiator shop, I'd take it and get it boiled out. I had issues with a 1935 IH TD40 tank I "cleaned" until I got it boiled. Wish I would've just done it the first time.

Are you going to leave the cab/fender tanks disconnected? I imagine they look the same?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back