OT - 12 year battery?

Decided to replace the battery in my 2001 Chevy 2500 today. I've owned it since 04 or 05, and its had the same battery all that time. I'm pretty sure it still had the original battery in it - pretty amazing. It was an AC Delco, and did not have a carry strap. 78 month battery it said - more like 144 months!

Am going to put the old one in an old W-4 I just bought and keep my fingers crossed.

Tim

I bought a brand new tractor in Oct,'01 that was put together in Jul,'01 and the original battery is still strong and functioning well. 12+ years. I have a battery disconnect because the tractor sits for long periods occasionally and before starting in the winter I pre-heat the engine while a battery charger is attached to the battery. When I'm ready to start, I put the charger in the start mode and the tractor starts instantly, as if it was summer.

I have seen several original Motorcraft batteries in Fords that made it to 11 years and still were good, but at that point you are on borrowed time. Seemed like the majority of the time those were in Crown Vic/ Gran Marq cars but occasionally other stuff as well. And then you see the 2 or 3 yr. old ones that crap out occasionally so I guess it all balances out in the end.

My 2000 F350 still has the original battery after 250,000+miles. I meant to replace it but sort of wanted to see how long it would go.Its cranking a little slower lately so I may replace in the next month or so.

I replaced the original Delco in my 2000 Buick
Lesabre last March 2013 making over 13 years old.
I figured it lasted so long because it is under
the rear seat inside where the temp helps protect
it. Battery looked new when I took it out, no
leaks or corrosion.

I think batteries are not being made as good now, I doubt you would get that life out a 2013 model.

Absent abuse, vehicle cranking batteries last much longer these days than they once did. Ten years or more is not uncommon.

Dean

Replaced the battery in my 97 GMC in 2012 ( orig. Delco). Had to replace orig Delco in 06 Chevy Impala LT this summer.

I get my batteries from Walmart. I buy their batteries with the 3 year free replacement. I've had several that lasted over 10 years. I even have one in my garden tractor. Hal
a136584.jpg

I have the original battery in my 04 Saturn and my 07 Chev. 2500. I just put the 3rd batt. in my 08 Dodge van.

Did you replace it with a delco? My delco was only 7 years old when it failed the load test. I replaced it with a cheap Excide from Rural King. I could buy 4 cheapies for the price of one Delco.

I'm begining to think in terms of not how long something lasts, but how much per year does it cost.

OEM batteries in new vehicles, in my case, GM.

I have also had long life from replacement batteries from Sears, etc.

Of course, one should not expect such life from seasonally used equipment batteries if one does not periodically charge (not a trickle charger left on continuously) the battery during the off season. I make a point of charging all out of service batteries every four weeks or so.

Dean

I've had good luck with some of the Delcos too. There was a big old Delco in the IH truck I bought used in fall of 2002. Not sure what age it was but that battery is still in the truck and starts it fine . The record holder is my CIH magnum 7130. I put in a new pair of CIH Magna Starts in spring of 99 and they are still on the job. No special treatment and only had them out to clean the trays a few times. The tractor is not used in winter and I might charge the batteries once a winter.

Its been my experience since modern solid state and alternator charging systems have improved and cars start much faster (way less cranking time required) BATTERY LIFE IN GENERAL HAS INCREASED. That may not be true for some, but has been my experience based on a ton of farm and fleet and private cars trucks boats RV's Golf Cart tractors etc. etc. I was a used truck car n tractor dealer in the past and bought n used n replaced more batteries then I could count grrrrrrrrrrr

Asking about batteries is about asking for the best brand of oil or spark plugs or politics lol you get all sorts of opinions and all well intentioned and all fun to read.

I have had good luck with NAPA and Exide and Interstate and Trojan and yes even Wally World Batteries. I'm sure there aren't all that many different makers left, just crank them out at a factory and stick on whichever label.

John T

I even use a Walmart battery in my garden tractor.
The worse thing for a battery is to just sit and not be used. They say taxi drivers have very little battery problems as they're used a lot at night. The batteries are then discharged and recharged. This tractor is kept in unheated mini barn. When the temp gets in the lower teens
I use a dip stick heater to warm that 30wt oil on the tractor. I bought it in 1971 when I had 20 years with the government two years of that I was in the Army . Nineteen years later I retired and worked for defense contractors from 1990 until 2000. Hal
a136616.jpg

I have a 12 volt blem battery in a 70 JD that I bought in 1999 (knock on wood). It was for irrigation motors and were sold as blems.

(quoted from post at 19:44:34 11/27/13) Decided to replace the battery in my 2001 Chevy 2500 today. I've owned it since 04 or 05, and its had the same battery all that time. I'm pretty sure it still had the original battery in it - pretty amazing. It was an AC Delco, and did not have a carry strap. 78 month battery it said - more like 144 months!

Am going to put the old one in an old W-4 I just bought and keep my fingers crossed.

Tim
Replaced them in my 04 Dodge dually last spring...still running the old batteries in my tractors. Pulled one out of the 190XT that was date punched '97, Kirkland (Costco) brand....put a heavy charge on it and it is still cranking. Pulled the original Delco out of my 1944 WC a couple years ago, not sure how long it was dead :) Yesterday I replaced the battery in my Skidsteer...just because you can't get to it if the arms are down...can't raise the arms up if it won't start, DUH! New commercial duty battery, $120, 18 month warranty!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back