Plasma cutter ; new user

Pulled out the HF plasma cutter, 220 volt model to cut some 3/8 plate. What I've read online said cup condition matters so I installed a new one. I was surprised to see the condition of the piece behind the cup. What's going on here? See also the photo of the cut it made. Seems like I ran low on air mid-cut as it left slag at the base.
cvphoto117204.jpg

cvphoto117205.jpg

cvphoto117206.jpg

I thought about running the grinder down the cut line (after I marked them of course). Now I know better and will clean it up first.

Not all tips are the same. Some are made for drag cutting some arent. At work we have Hypertherm cutters with a wide selection of tips. Maybe your tip wasnt meant for what you tried to do. Just a thought.

Dopp Creek, I was told that when you replace the nozzle, you replace the electrode. What you refer to as the cup and the piece behind it. Johndeere720GA is absolutely correct. Plasma cutters do not like moisture in the air. What is your machine rated to cut? Do you have the proper PSI hitting your machine? My Hypertherm takes 70 psi, so there is a regulator and a line dryer on the back of the machine, in addition to the line dryer at the air compressor. Hopefully you can get consumables at HF.

Mike

I run my Hypertherm air through a coalescing air filter/dryer pressure regulator combination and also through one of those cheap clear plastic Harbor Freight air filter/dryers attached to the plasma cutter air inlet.
I've never tried cutting rusty steel, looks like I will avoid it at all costs.
My compressor has an 80 gallon tank, about 5 ft tall, water drain on the bottom, air outlet on the top. I run air thru about 20 ft of 1/2 hose and 20 ft of 3/8 hose, and I've never seen water come out of anything air powered, not a sander, grinder, paint gun, sand blaster, or anything.

I want to add it looks like you might be cutting too fast. Have fun, mine doesn't get used very often, but I sure like it when I need it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back