Plastic Car Ramps Question

Bill VA

Ive got 2 sets of Rhino car ramps and probably for the first time ever I need/want to jack a car up on all 4 wheels to do some service beneath.

Ive also got jack stands - but thought, perhaps I can just drive the car up on all 4 ramps. Honda CR-V, probably 3,500 lbs total.

The engineer in me says OK, my gut says bad idea. My wife says take it to a mechanic with a lift.

Want to try a transmission oil change, its a CVT transmission.

Good idea - bad idea?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Stepson Toyota 4X4 pick up been sitting on 2 metal and 2 plastic ramps for about 2 years now and is just fine other then the fact it sure would be nice to have them back so I could put a clutch and transmission my Corolla

Murphy's law, if anything can go wrong, it will. If you can afford it take it to a mechanic shop. I had 2 ramps and sometimes when driving up one would slide thus making one wheel up and one halfway up. You are doing double that. If you try it, anchor the ramps in place. I trust jack stands more. joe

(quoted from post at 21:10:45 07/24/22) Ive got 2 sets of Rhino car ramps and probably for the first time ever I need/want to jack a car up on all 4 wheels to do some service beneath.

Ive also got jack stands - but thought, perhaps I can just drive the car up on all 4 ramps. Honda CR-V, probably 3,500 lbs total.

The engineer in me says OK, my gut says bad idea. My wife says take it to a mechanic with a lift.

Want to try a transmission oil change, its a CVT transmission.

Good idea - bad idea?

Just curious.

Thanks!
f that's one of those transmissions with no dipstick, you're supposed to hook it up to a computer to refill it. Otherwise you're best bet would be to put in what you drain out and hope for the best.

Right now if I did that it would most likely total it due the the fact the transmission is half in half out and stuck

I've got 2 sets. I've had my HD2500 on all 4 a few times on flat ground. No problem. I think mine are rated for 12K pounds.

The ramps will have no problem at all holding that little car.

Just don't try holding the brake and throttle while driving up. That will cause the ramps to slide. Just pull up as slowly as possible and be ready to brake when it's up top.

And do review the fluid change procedure. Probably find it on Youtube.
As said, some don't have a dipstick. Different designs have different refill procedures. Best catch and measure what comes out just in case.

Honda has a history of wanting only factory fluid in their transmissions. It did make a difference with the clutch type transmissions, I haven't dealt with a CVT.

If 4X4 it will climb both at once. If 2X4 drive the front up on 2 and raise the back with a floor jack then stick the ramps under it. It could need to be lifted twice using blocks to get enough lift to insert the ramps. Jim

Whut Steve said.

I have used plastic 12K ramps for years I speck you can stack 4 Hondas on them with no problem.

If the trans does not leak measure what came out and put that much back in. By all means service a CVT they need all the help they can get... If I did it Honda fluid it would get what was left over you pay for and tote home.

Jim and others are correct , you need to lift at least half of the car . To " drive up " onto four ramps means the rear ones must be under the car to start , I doubt if a Honda has that much clearance.

i have a honda crv i do maintenance on as well. i would suggest you use oem fluids in transmission and differential. also, if you're changing the transmission oil it's probably time to change the differential oil as well. one word of caution. before you take the drain plug out of the differential, make sure you can remove the fill plug. both the transmission and differential hold a small amount of oil. for the work they do, i change my fluids every 30K or so. do you have any friends with a car lift? good luck.

First time I picked up a set of those rated at 16K# I parked the '93 F350 CC Dually truck on top of them for a day. Life got in the way and 3 days later, still on the stands. The oil change finally got done. Trying to drive anything but a 4X4 onto 4 of them probably will not work too well. At least it hasn't so far with any of my 2WD vehicles.

No cannot do that either since there is a couple jacks under it and a chain hoist in side of it. ut my mom being bed ridden didn't help things either

I replaced some old, rusty steel ramps of my Dad's with a pair of plastic ones from Harbor Freight. Much lighter and easier to handle, I think they slip along the floor less than the steel ones did. They fit under the low bumpers of newer cars better, as well.

A few years later, they are starting to crack and chip out, meaning I only use them under my lighter vehicles and always with a back up set of jack stands placed after ascending the ramps.

I bought a used Harbor Freight hydraulic lift- it is the perfect tool for brakes and tire rotations for all my cars and truck. It is the worst possible tool for oil changes and muffler type work, as most of the middle of any vehicle is blocked.

I'm looking for a better quality, higher load rated set of plastic ramps to replace the one I have. It is quicker to use the ramps for oil changes than the lift, and easier to catch more of the used oil.

He did watch over your mom for a long time,,,maybe you should just fix the truck for him,,as a way to show appreciation for how he helped watch over mom?

Then how you gonna do the Carolla? Or the Diamond T,,Or the big front end loader,or Dads Ford dumptruck?or The mini tractor trailer from the two old chevy pickups?Or tearing apart the burned mobile home?You just admitted what I have been kindly mentioning to you for years now.

The car I can do because it has the transmission such that I can hook up chain hoist etc. The loader just needs a hyd hose and 2 batteries unless the engine is locked up. The old Ford need a gas tank so that is a simple fix. The Diamond-T I would have a shop fix that I don't work on diesel engines

Ok,,you win,,,what is the plan to get all this accomplished?We are getting old and tired.Describe your master plan for the things your gonna do,,someday..

At this time s much is up in the air due to having to take care of my moms estate

Spent over an hour in the bank today but got things worked out so I can access all her accounts. Now on the her life insurance. Have a form to fill out but don't have a clue as to how ot do so. I've never been any good with paper work

you really should have planned ahead--i have my kids on my houses deeds and each bank account has one of them as an authorized user--put the house in Ma in a trust and set up a bank account for it with me and the trustee as account users

Update - pulled my CRV onto all 4 ramps, no issues at all.

I appreciate the replies.

Thanks!!!
Bill

I couldn't remember when I bought my Rhino ramps, so I just now checked the date stamp on them. March 2004. They're 18 years old, and still work as good as new.

My only complaint with them is the little rubber feet tend to fall out, something that's gotten worse as the get older. A while back I glued them in with weatherstrip cement and solved that problem.

If old's ramps are Rhino ramps, I don't think he has to worry about them collapsing anytime soon. That 'yota will rust away to nothing before his ramps give out.

I have two sets of plastic ones from NAPA that are rated at 6000 lbs per pair. Very handy and not very expensive. About 8 years old.

Sometimes saving money sounds like a good Ideal. The problem is here you have an automatic transmission which means is really requires a person who really know what they are doing. Please don't take this wrong but these newer transmissions are more complex than the one that were built back in the 1970's. Just my crazy thoughts. Good luck in what every you do.

Hi Rich And Larry and others , Watching You Guys Banter back and forth makes me smile.., The friendly cajoling of get of youraz and get going is what i need myself ,,. TRUE THAT ! We are getting older, and less energetic,and many of us carry battle scars and health concerns. But the old-school poking around is good for all of Us ,,. I am Sorry Rich , It seems your Mother passed away while i was off here for a while ,,. I wish All of you a nice walk (When Our time comes ) with our Lord some day.

Lift it anyway you want but block it before you think about getting under it.

I have a kinda remote shop and I never, ever get uunder a vehicle that is not supported by wooden cribbing.

Just my humble opinion.

Brad

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back