Ploughing yesterday....

samn40

A couple of us Fergy guys were asked to plow a small field yesterday at our local Folk Museum/farm. This place is a 'must do' place to visit if you ever make it to Northern Ireland
mvphoto4821.jpg

That's me on my £40($60approx) tractor. I am the ugly one!
mvphoto4822.jpg

Ground was a bit wet but not bad for this area near Belfast and not bad considering the rainfall we have had during Jan -Feb
mvphoto4823.jpg

This is the little hill farm house beside where we were ploughing. Every building at this museum has been taken down stone by stone and rebuilt here to make this park look like way back in the late 1800s. Over the next few weeks (time permitting!) I will post some pics of the old houses and the town, which have all been rebuilt since 1970.....
mvphoto4824.jpg

Sam

I spent some time after the ploughing taking pics as this is as good
a representation of how our wee country was when your ancesters
were leaving for the 'Better World'? I think you will like the
pics....Sam

the first left around 1700 and others in the late 1700's. Most from County Antrim but a few from southern Ireland.

Samn,
Very nice. That won't be happening around here for a bit yet.

Love the old farmstead - look forward to photos of the village.

Sam that is a good job plowing wet soil. It amazes me that you can work the ground that wet. Around here you would have bricks until the next freeze. Plus compaction under the wheel tracks that would be like concrete.

Like the pictures of the village. People then where satisfied with much less than we are today. Look at the small homes that people lived in for their entire life time.

I can remember going to Elvis's Graceland mansion years ago. It is a very nice place but it did not shock an awe much. There are larger modern homes right here in my small town that are as large. It amazes me that these couples are building 3000-4000 square foot home for two people.

I noticed that you have some large new homes right around your town as well. I often wonder what the people from years ago would think of these Mac Mansions.

Brian, those are Fergy loader brackets.....These old tractors are only
used for our hobby now....as if I don't get enough driving!....But
there is just something about driving these little tractors that just
makes you smile!........Sam
a149687.jpg

I'm planning to go in late summer with a friend and her mother. We won't make it to Northern Ireland this time though. Hope to post some pics of the countryside.

It is indeed true whitewash, this place is the most authentic I have ever visited......It is not Disneyland!!!!! LOL
Sam

Half of my ancestors were already here in North America for thousands of years before everyone started immigrating, the other half came from England.

Doc

JDseller, we can get away with ploughing even wetter ground than this, in fact we have to plough to get it dried! Our drying is maybe not as fast as yours so with slow drying it does break down nice....Plus the fact we ditched our discs about 30 years ago! They were great at cutting the ground into cubes! Some houses were real small years ago. Our country has both large and small even today, just like yours....In fact I am in awe at some of the housing standards in the US.......in some parts trailers seem to be the norm?
Keep watching my posts to see the other samples of yesterdays homes!

samn40
Thank you for sharing!
I think those old Fergie's are great tractors, I have used a TE20, TO35, owned an FE35 4 cylinder diesel and now own a 35 gas.
They were not used on a working farm either!
Cheers
Brian

3rd Picture - Can"t quite tell, but it looks like your top link is about to come undone, the tab has not been locked down. I have done that.

Samm Nice tractor and plowing, we have a TO20 a great tractor,
mostly a mower tractor now, we had a loader like that at one time,
defenitly a high lift outfit! Mike

samn40
We had the FE35 when we owned a small place on the outskirts of the city.
It hauled hay in and political promises from our two horses out!
We have since moved to a rural property in south western Ontario, Canada. My tractors are a bit bigger now, but I couldn't pass on the old 35 when I saw it for sale. Not quite operational yet, but warmer weather is coming.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back