Power Adjusting Wheels - Helpful tip

Today I found myself trying to thread the newly painted center discs into my newly painted rims. Before I started, I planned for a long time. I fashioned a handle that bolted thru a pair of lugnut holes. I started working on my first wheel. It wasn't too bad getting the thread started in the rim grooves but it would only turn a few degrees then jam. I got a spray bottle of soapy water and lubed the parts well. That didn't help much. I found the only way to get it to screw in was using a pry bar to center it then twist. I would get 10 or 20 degrees, then have to pry again. Tearing the crap out of my new paint job. I finally got to the right spot after an hour or more. For wheel number 2, I took a bar of soap and rubbed it over all the edges of the wheel center that touch off on the rim. Bingo! I had it in place in 60 seconds, slick as snot! No prying, no sweating, no cussing. I was so excited I knocked off for the day so I could come in a post this message!

Thanks for the tip. I haven't touched my Ford 3000's yet (someone else restored it) but I do have to replace the rims on my 55 Allis. Not looking forward to that because I know everything is probably going to be seized.

On or off from the tractor? I did mine with the center sitting on something like a bucket, and held the wheel, lifting slightly, turning it on. Bar soap is certainly a good idea for saving new paint.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back