Powrtrol question

Dan in Ohio

Getting ready to reassemble my powrtrol piston in the cylinder. I have a paper washer and a rubber o-ring putting washer in first. My question is should I soak the paper washer in light oil before installing? I am afraid of tearing that paper washer, o-ring should be no problem.

cvphoto131226.jpg

cvphoto131227.jpg

I did coat it with oil but the piston had a groove for the o-ring and the top 1/32 of the groove was deeper so I guided the paper washer into that spot carefully and It went on without incident.

Success! Now that you have mastered that you are now qualified to install the Orings on the power steering vanes in a two banger without breaking one.

I agonized about installing that paper piece. Bob, a now missing poster, advised me to soak it in water, and when I actually went to installing it I discovered that there was a ''drop center'' built into the piston to help with the installation.

I have successfully completed that task (a couple of times) and documented the process on johnnypopper.com although most of the original photos disappeared due to a policy change by a
free photo posting site. Yes, those vane seals are a challenge and I have not destroyed one yet, a feat I credit to having a free source of hot water at my garage sink where I can make them
pliable enough to work them into place. Still makes my hands hurt thinking about that.

By luck or let's call it careful observation I noticed that drop center in the piston, sure made the installation of that paper washer possible. Sorry you got some bad advice.

I did the vane seals on my 80. Like you I got them as hot as possible and deburred everything and lots of lube, got them on no problem. Will probably do fairly soon on my non power steering 60. What fun I make for myself.

Brandon

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back