PVC & CPVC pipe

Dusty MI

Glue/solvent weld. Some cans say for PVC, some say for CPVC, some say for both. Whats the difference? If a can says for PVC, will it work for both?

CPVC is rated for hot water, and is Clorinated PVC that forms more stable cross linking between molecules. Similar but requires different primer and
cement. Using the PVC cement might appear to work, but could be a source of joint failure. Jim

Thanks Jim I didn't know that, I guess I either bought the right glue of I've been lucky! Used a lot of CPVC, plumbed a couple of houses, love it!

(quoted from post at 10:46:43 10/05/19) Thanks Jim I didn't know that, I guess I either bought the right glue of I've been lucky! Used a lot of CPVC, plumbed a couple of houses, love it!

Yes, with CPVC it's important t use the proper glue.

I bought an older house in the '90's that had CPVC installed recently.

It took a number off years, and then the leaks started, a couple of fittings even simply popped off the pipe.

I re-did it with copper, many of the glue joints that hadn't failed yet could simply be twisted off of the pipe with bare hands when tearing that crap out.

WHAT a mess!

Done right with the right glue it will last.
Dad and ten year old me plumbed the house us kids grew up in with cpvc in 1969.
Cold water pipes were pale blue, cold water lines were tan.
Not one leak any where since.

It's not worth the risk, get the right solvent and primer.

Regular PVC, I use the Hot Blue primer/solvent in one.

But for pressure lines, I use Pex and clamp rings, especially if inside a house, inside a wall.

I might be wrong about this, it's been 20 years since I replumbed my house with all CPVC. But, if memory serves me, I think CPVC glue is yellow as
opposed to the clear color of PVC cement.

Tom in TN

I personally built my house in 1979 with PVC for cold water and CPVC for hot back when PVC was fairly new on the market. I used purple dyed primer on
every joint and solvent based PVC/CPVC cement for the joints.....still here and yet to have a joint fail anywhere on the place. Not worth the chance of
failure if you ask me and the correct solvents are readily available.

(quoted from post at 05:25:42 10/06/19) ... I think CPVC glue is yellow as
opposed to the clear color of PVC cement.

Tom in TN

The "kits" mostly come in a colored glue. The orange CPVC glue is about useless. Wherever I have used it with primer it turned the plastic to goo and it would not hold.

Past few years all I do is rough up the fittings with medium drywall sandpaper and use clear CPVC glue only. Have yet to go back to repair a connection that has failed.

Have you considered the Watts Quick-Connect style fittings? No glue to deal with; they work with several different types of rigid pipe and have an insert to use with PEX. They can be removed/reused; there is pipe movement when fully assembled, if you need to rotate pipe to assemble the next joint for example.

https://www.watts.com/products/plumbing-flow-control-solutions/connections/quick-connect

When plumbing with plastic be sure to use the proper color solvent/glue.
And if it has to be inspected by your local building department Barney, you better check to see what is allowed first.

Some plastics might not be allowed and certain color solvent and or glue might be required to pass inspection.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back