Question for Cub guys

kencombs

I always liked Cubs, but found them too slow in 1st and too fast in second for mowing. And a 5' mower was a bit much if the grass got just a little too tall. But several years ago I bought a well used 154. That's when I discovered that the 15 in the name was the HP. Still a little C60 engine, same cam, carb same size etc but they had turned up the governor to help with both speed and HP, compared to the earlier 'real' Cubs.

Finally I'll get to my question: Has anyone tried increasing the governed speed on early models to increase travel speed and HP?

I'm getting the itch to get another one once I shed some other stuff.

I’ve turned them up to get a few rpm’s out of it. back that set bolt that’s on the top out a little

The 154 has a different crankshaft and rods than the original Cub. I assume it has to do with the higher RPM.

Just increasing the RPM doesn't help, because you're spinning the mower blades faster and moving the tractor faster. Both of those require more power. Revving the engine faster doesn't make enough additional power to support the higher blade speed and higher ground speed. Once you get over 1600RPM, the torque starts falling off on a Cub engine. What happens is the tractor lugs back down to its peak torque, and you're right back where you started. You think it's got more power because it makes more noise when you rev it up.

The 154's engine is a little bit more than just a higher RPM. As I recall they at minimum have aluminum pistons, if not step-head pistons to increase the compression ratio, and a Zenith carburetor with a larger intake manifold which helps with airflow. Even then these tractors are not powerhouses and you have to manage your momentum, take partial cuts with the mower, if the grass gets a little too tall.

Too bad the old dyno results are gone from the farmall cub forums. Maybe Jim Becker knows where to find them?

I always liked Cubs, but found them too slow in 1st and too fast in second for mowing. And a 5' mower was a bit much if the grass got just a little too tall. But several years ago I bought a well used 154. That's when I discovered that the 15 in the name was the HP. Still a little C60 engine, same cam, carb same size etc but they had turned up the governor to help with both speed and HP, compared to the earlier 'real' Cubs.

Finally I'll get to my question: Has anyone tried increasing the governed speed on early models to increase travel speed and HP?

This here is a screen shot of K-Mo's YT post in 2007.........
Screenshot_2024-01-12-09-43-02.png

This here is a screen shot of K-Mo's YT post in 2007.........
View attachment 2071
Interesting. I didn't think IH put much thought into the 184 other than updating the styling to match the current lineup.

If the clutch is back on the flywheel then how did they get IPTO? The 154 and 185 had the IPTO belt driven off a pulley at the flywheel, and that's why the clutch was mounted on the input shaft of the transmission. With the clutch back on the flywheel, where was the pulley? Parts book is unclear as it shows the IPTO parts with no context as to how they fit in the tractor.

I have a 154 cub that I use to mow lawn. Like you say, the power isn't great if the grass is too tall. I put a carburetor off a 185 on it. There is enough more hp that it is noticeable, but it's not a huge amount.

If you are really sold on IH (personally I wouldn't be) and want a 5' mower in occasionally long grass, why not step up to an A. I have one and it handles a 5' mower in long grass in second gear no problem and isn't a whole lot bigger than a cub. On the other hand, my tired 8n runs a 6' mower in the same grass and is much more "user friendly".
0702181332b_Burst01.jpg
IMG_0045.JPG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back