Question for folks in cold country.

Richard G.

What kind of thermal underwear and boots do yall use to stay warm?
My legs and feet get cold when it gets down to freezing here in NW SC.
I know getting older does not help matters.
Richard

Just regular thermal lined long johns and flannel lined jeans. When it gets really cold, I have a couple pair of jeans with thinsulate lining and insulated bibs. I have insulated boots that my feet sweat in if I walk much and then my feet are cold.

I gear up like this for snow moving.
cvphoto113808.png

Not really. Good insulated boots sometime two pair of socks. Athletic leggings, lined jeans, and Carrhart bibs. When my hands and feet get cold its time to warm up. That is good for -5 to 30. At -5 to -20 I make more trips to the heat. Below -20 we call it because the equipment doesnt like it at all. Above 30 its not uncommon to see people in shorts, but I dont have the legs for that.

I put on my thermal "long johns" on yesterday for the first time this winter because it was minus 1 at dawn and never got above 6.5 all day and I had to work outside for a few hours. Just thermal underwear and jeans with two pairs of socks in my work boots keep my legs and feet warm most of the time. Sometimes I have to be out for long periods on my Allis WD plowing snow during frigid conditions. Then, I put on a pair of snowmobile boots with felt liners, a pair of insulated fireman's gloves and slip into a pair of insulated Carhart coveralls. I top it all off with my real fur trimmed "Mad Bomber's" hat. I always wear a scarf because when my neck gets cold, I get cold all over.
Can't imagine you need more than a pair of thermal long johns and a good pair of insulated work boots in your part of the country.
I'm 80 but try not to consider myself old just yet. LOL

Muck Arctic's long john bottoms called ColdProf. On top I ware a base layer like the military uses actually it is layer 2. It has a zippered turtle neck. If it gets real cold I have the third layer which is a zippered long john. Insulated bibs a Carhart hoody and an insulated jacket. For extreme weather I bring out the Carhart Zero proof bibs, a hooded neck gaiter and the leather mittens(I have been known to get out my air force flight line mittens). As you might guess I do not have a cab on my tractor.

Don't wear any shoes/boots that your feet fit tight in. The tighter your foot is in there, the colder it'll be.
I had a thick pair of wool socks. You'd think they'd have to be warmer than any other thinner sock. But they made my feet colder because they made my feet fit tighter in any of my shoes that I put on. Finally figured out, it was the tightness that was making my feet cold. Quit the wool socks thing. Went back to wearing thinner socks. Feet stayed much much warmer, even in temps below zero. The air inside your shoe with your foot is actually the real insulating factor. Otherwise the coldness of the outside of your shoe, will be conducted straight to your foot.
As for legs, I wear over the calf (practically knee high) socks, blue jeans, and insulated overhauls. I like the overhauls versus the coveralls, because it gives me more coat options (I wear 2 hooded coates, one heavier over one thinner).
There is an old saying when it comes to wearing leather. If it goes on cold, it's going to stay cold. Same thing should apply to winter clothes. Make sure they are warm to start out with when you put em on. Not out of the trunk of your car, or out of a cold un-heated closet.
Hope this helps. I did chores last winter when it got down to -28. That's exceptionally cold for here. But 0 or -10 is not out of the norm.

When I was working as a contract armorer, I was issued a set of UnderArmor long underwear for those Winter range trips.

Warm as toast. Those, a pair of insulated Muck boots, my Carhartt onsies and a bomber hat and I'm good to go for pretty much any weather we're likely to encounter here in Maine.

I wear just jeans with nothing under them other than my shorts except when going skiing or snowmobiling. Then I wear insulated bib overalls. On my feet I mostly wear just sneakers but if I am going out for awhile I wear pak boots. And here is a little tidbit about those: I have a pair of insulating innersoles under the paks, and the paks get pulled out and allowed to dry overnight because any moisture in them decreases the insulation value.

It all depends on what I am doing and how cold it is. If I am doing physical labor, uninsulated bibs, and a temperature appropriate coat and hat and gloves. (My favorite get-up! And I don't have too many clothes on when I come back inside.) I can take the coat off if need be, or throw the hood up over my hat if need be. If I am on the tractor feeding or plowing snow, and I know I am going to be out for a while, insulated coveralls, heavy socks, and maybe long johns and top. I always wear a tee shirt, flannel shirt, and jeans, so long johns would be over the regular under wear/tee shirt. It's all about layers.
I have been out plowing ground for several hours and needed insulated coveralls because of the basic inactivity while just driving the tractor for hours on the same day that a sweatshirt over my flannel would been enough if I was doing physical labor. Mark.

Used to be a skinny fella and was cold all the time, solution other than gain weight was: dual layer polypropylene themal underwear, multiple layers of clothing, one piece insulated Dickies coveralls, insulated work coat over top. Heavy insulated mitts with thin gloves inside. Sorel felt pack boots.

With thick type balaclava and good hat overtop, generally can handle -35 and wind if moving around doing chores. Sitting around it will do to about -15-20 C in still air. Those hot packs in each mitt are nice if you are using your fingers alot.

I'm curious how these heated clothes work, I've seen them advertised but seem pricey.

(quoted from post at 10:03:54 01/12/22) Just wear same rubber chore boots winter/summer, no insulation. I will wear long under pants, but no insulated overalls. I dont suffer from the cold
Sounds like I'm a real wimp compared to how some of you guys dress. Felt liners in heavy rubber boots keep my feet tolerable. Anything less won't. Thermal underwear, blue jeans for indoors. Outdoors add on insulated ski pants with coveralls over top to protect them and me. About 5 similar layers on top. Hands are ok with leather mitts and wool liners but they will freeze up and lose feeling handling a pitch fork for long at -20F. I have to admit that I was a bit overdressed for this warm weather though. Temps in the 20s this morning with sun and no wind.

All depends. I generally leave the house in 2 sweatshirts and a light jacket. A pair of insulated jeans with what I think are some sort of spandex long johns. Look just like what my wife and daughter call leggings. Have Cabelas brand insulated boots. And Kinco brand gloves. Thats pretty good for me down to about 0 Fahrenheit as long as Im doing some physical activity. Sometimes need a little more, sometimes if doing something like cutting wood a lot less. Sweat is the enemy ! If its cold and I need to go sit on the tractor out comes the heavy Carhartt jacket and insulated bibs. I have an open station tractor with a snowblower. Head gear is usually a knit cap, or leather fur lined bomber when it gets real nasty. Also have fur lined mittens I use with thin glove liners. Everyone is different ! Remember one you start sweating you will freeze if you stop your physical activity !

Richard,
I sleep around a lot, so I wear Flannel PJs.
So when I come in the house, off comes my dirty Bibs. I sit down in the recliner and within minutes fall asleep.

I wear arctic boots with removable liners.
Only wear these boots in Winter. Too warm to wear any other time. I have 3 pairs of boots. Don't recall the name of the boots. They will last me a lifetime..

Others have described the top 90% I address only the footwear. For continuous movement in down to the mid teens F Insulated Packs (like Tamarisk high tops) below that temp, I wear Mickey Mouse boots. They are moderately heavy but felt insulated between layers of rubber inside and out. If felt lined boots are worn for 4-5 hours they will get wet from sweat and compressed into useless conduction. Mickeys do not get wet insulation ever. If worn and filled with water you will still be warm as toast. Jim
real thing.

I use Sorels for boots snowblower days.
Insulated coveralls
I got silk long under ware ,cause if I wants move better than Randy in photo above . I can out run flick if he wants to beat me up.
Also go for dragging deer out of Allegheny Forrest
Got a pair of heated socks

Dress in layers. Much easier to adjust your insulation a little bit thru the day than wearing a t-shirt & parka.

The lower end of your coat should have a good elastic or draw string to snug up around your waist or lower. Else, kinda like trying to heat the house with the front door open.

Something taught in Boy Scouts for polar camping. Stay hydrated! Tis easy to become dehydrated in colder weather. Your body as it starts to dehydrate starts closing down blood flow in the capillaries furthest away from your heart. Those being your feet & hands......often the first thing to get cold.

Something else taught in Boy Scouts........Cotton Kills. Cotton can draw moisture from your body or the damp weather and create a damp layer. Damp/wet clothes draw water from your body quickly. Cotton blue jeans, t-shirts & gloves not wise to use in colder weather. There are undergarments that will draw moisture from your body and dissipate it without chilling your skin.

You lose a good portion of heat out of your head too. Baseball caps don't hold much heat.

Michigander all my life of 61 years.

UnderArmor or Champion polyester/spandex base layer, both tops and bottoms. Over this an UnderArmor thermal turtleneck, flannel shirt, a wool sweater or two, felt-lined jeans, and finally Carhartt arctic jacket and overalls.

For my feet I use Sorels with felt liners and two pair of socks (wool rag socks over poly or silk liners).

Incidentally keep two pair of felt boot liners and alternate them daily so I start the day with bone dry liners.

Warm hat and gloves are key. I have a couple heavy knit watch caps as worn by our local police. And Carhartt thermal work gloves, with poly or silk inner glove liners.

cvphoto113839.jpg

As mentioned, insulated boots like Sorels are good, even for snowmobiling or ice fishing in below zero weather.

Ditch the cotton underwear as it just holds moisture against the body. Use something that wicks moisture away from the skin, Gortex is very good.

GORE-TEX is a patented type of waterproof fabric made with a variant of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)(Teflon)known as expanded PTFE (ePTFE).

Suspenders are your friend. An old timer told me that a belt cuts you in half. Suspenders lets the heat from your legs rise up around your body. Working in the lumber yard we used pig skin mittens with wool liners You might be surprised what you can do with mittens on if its cold enough. As far as cold hands goes smoking doesnt help. I think it has something to do with your blood circulation We used to tell the young guys when they complained about the cold to not worry about. Worrying about being cold just makes it worse

I wear running shoes most of the time in Manitoba. I am never out more than 3-4 hours at a time. If I am going to be sitting doing nothing and not walking I had a pair of the $2-300 boots from cabalas good for -50. They lasted 7 years. Now I have no boots. Trick is to keep your feet dry and shoe/boots loser than tight.
thermal long underwear and a pair of jeans. long sleeve thin shirt.

I use a cheap bib overall type ski pants with elastic cuffs at the ankle. Fairly heavy hood sweater with a good long jacket over that. toque on head must be thick and fit snug. mitts are leather long from princess auto at $10-15 Inside that if I need is a pair of cotton finger gloves.

Leather shoes with thick socks that are loose on your feet will be warmer than 90% of all winter boots. There are also special socks that are made to keep feet dry and they work that helps a lot.

I also eat more spice or pepper now and eat vinegar more, like pickles etc. My body feels warmer now by far than when I was younger. I use to not get warm enough with 10 layers of close on. my feet would freeze all the time, but they were also always wet. Now I have to teach my children to dress different even though they think I am crazy using runners when cutting firewood and doing chores.

Richard,

I highly recommend UnderArmour thermal long underwear and undershirts (or a generic version of them).

I have Chill Chasers formerly sold by ShopKo Stores (now all closed down). They are fantastic at keeping a person warm yet they are not bulky under your clothes like the old fashioned cotton long johns.

For my feet, one pair of thin socks with a heavier pair over them does the trick. Regular, lace-up hiking boots, nothing special. The experts say that wool or silk socks are best, but I just wear what I have. "Hot hands" brand toe warmers are also a good source of warmth, and they work for me as well. Best to get them started indoors before going out.

I wear sweat pants under jeans. Gets a little bulky but they keep me warm.

Gerrit

Richard I would think plain old flannel lined jeans would do the job where you live if you aren't going to be out in the cold wind all day. Thermal underwear is warmer than lined jeans but again where you live thermals might be overkill depending on how well your body's 'internal heater' works. my son has a hot body and works in short sleeves in a 50 degree shop in the winter. I am bundled up at that temp. Here in northern Iowa I put the regular jeans in the basement and bring up the lined jeans around the first of November. If the temp gets up to 60 the lined jeans are getting too warm and if the temp is 70 they are way warm. Carhart jeans are thicker anyway and when you add the flannel lining they do a decent job of keeping the legs warm.

(quoted from post at 14:38:22 01/12/22) I wear running shoes most of the time in Manitoba.

Every time I see somebody wearing running shoes in winter I just shake my head. They would be my absolutely last choice of footwear. Guaranteed to make my feet damp and then ice cold. Too hot in summer and too cold in winter. I do own a pair but doubt I will ever wear them out. Its like the guys I see wearing baseball caps or nothing on their heads in winter. Unbelievable how they do it. My ears never see the outdoors as they are covered in touque and hood for winter.

Sometimes flannel lined pants when its cold the same long sleeve shirt and t shirt I wear whether its 40 below or 100 above a silk scarf the same hat I wear wether its 40 below or 100 above Kincos pig skin gloves i oil with obenaufs so they are water proof kennetrec pac boots chinks or my long rain coat and either a flannel jacket with a hoodie over the top

If your feet or hands get cold the rest of you will be cold. I wear 2 pair of socks and change them if they start to get at all damp. A warm coat is essential and if it covers your backside even better. As I age the cold bothers my fingers more so I have gone back to wearing mittens. I often wear thin cotton gloves inside them and carry extra gloves in my coat. A scarf is great for keeping the wind from getting down the front of your coat and in really cold weather you can pull it up to warm the incoming breath. A warm knitted hat that breathes and that covers the ears is also important. My wifes grandfather had heart trouble and wore a mask any time he was out in cold weather. Prewarming your breath takes a load off of your lungs and heart. It is also important to eat according to the weather. With cold weather you need extra calories and extra carbohydrates to keep the body going.

It was sunny and 42F this afternoon here in SE MN, lots of people out running in sweatshirts and shorts today. Ice fishing was very popular on the ponds and lakes today too. The heatwave is about over though.

Someone else mentioned boots shouldn't be too tight. I also found my feet stay warmer with less socks. Once my feet sweat they are going to get cold. Some say Arrid extra dry sprayed on your feet to keep them from sweating is the answer. A few years ago my work partner was complaining his feet were cold in his super insulated boots. I was wearing trail running shoes with canvas uppers. I said I could feel the wind blowing between my toes. We were framing a third story roof on a lake house, wind blowing across the ice. My feet were warm.

I agree, less is more. Too much insulation on the feet, makes wet socks. I go bare foot in my rubber boots often, even in winter. We used to play hockey bare foot in our skates, because feet grew but the skates didnt. So without socks I could still get them on. Became a habit after a while.

My wife was always on my back about not wearing a
winter hat. So one winter I told her I wasnt going to
wear a hat all winter or get a hair cut or beard trim.
Went all winter no hat, no big deal. I grew a thick mop
of hair and a wild man looking beard by spring. She
never tried to tell me how to dress again. She hates the
cold and freezes all winter. I can come in from working
outside and my hands will feel warmer than hers. I go
barefoot in the house all winter, good circulation I
guess

Probably the best defence against cold is growing hair. I have lots of body hair. From my fingers to my shoulders, thick with hair, fortunately its all blonde or I might look like a Sasquatch. Apparently body hairs help hold your bodys warmth close to your skin. I am the hairiest of the 4 boys in our family and the youngest too. If you ever raised pigs you know the runt of the litter is always very hair, lol

(quoted from post at 20:01:02 01/12/22) I agree, less is more. Too much insulation on the feet, makes wet socks. I go bare foot in my rubber boots often,.

For me less is not enough. The little bit of skating I did as a kid is most memorable for nearly freezing my feet out on the slough ice. Heavy insulated socks with felt insoles are not enough in rubber boots to keep my feet warm when its below zero. I gave up on that style footwear years ago. I wear heavy socks and felt liners as slippers in the house at 70 degrees just to be comfortable. Guess I have the poor circulation.

I use Under Armor which you can find anywhere. And Schnees boots made in Montana. I have a couple of pair, one for barn yard work and the other for everything else. Ms Candy has a pair too. All of them are 16 high. Knee high wool socks help a lot too. One key that a lot of people miss is that you have to keep your legs warm to keep your feet warm. If your legs cool, your toes get cold blood that will never keep your toes warm. Also keep your boots dry inside. The Schnees have removable liners that I take out every night to dry. It doesnt take much moisture to make your toes cold. Keep your boots in the house where it is warm. Putting your feet in cold boots takes heat from your toes. It is much easier to start out with warm feet and keep them warm than to start out cold feet and trying to warm them.
Schnees Boots

Apparently body hairs help hold your bodys warmth close to your skin.

There's more truth to this than you may realize. Anything that keeps a layer of air against your skin that doesn't trap moisture will warm you up.

A lot has been said but I'll throw this out. There's a business in Grand Junction that makes the warmest clothing made in the USA. The owner's name is Jerry Wigatow and his business is called Wiggy's. He's well known in Alaska and to those in our military who operate in cold climates. Unfortunately he's stopped making some of his cold weather gear and is focused on sleeping bags. He says it is due to the labor shortage. I don't doubt this but he also appears to have been burned by a retailer in Alaska, an experience that upset him, and he discontinued some of his gear. His stuff is second to none and is affordable, something not always associated with made in USA. The only caveat is his sizing. Some of it is on the small side, as in maybe you need to order an XL instead of a L. Best to call and ask questions about the garmet you are interested in and to provide your measurements. You will probably be transferred to Jerry to answer these kinds of questions. Where in this world will the owner of a factory still talk to a customer and treat him/her as if they're his most important call that day. The hallmark of his fabric is it keeps you warm even when it is wet and it moves moisture away from your body to the atmosphere. Moisture against your skin robs your body of heat. I heard about Wiggys about 15 years ago. Mentioned in a story about a father and son who flipped a float plane, winter in AK. They were able to retrieve their sleeping bags from the plane but they and the bags were soaking wet, yet the bags warmed them up somehow. I didn't believe this for a minute but was intrigued and eventually ordered a bag which was everything he said it was and more. I've bought a lot of his gear the past 15 years. The only complaint I have is I didn't buy enough of what's now unobtainum. wiggys.com

I'd go broke buying all the clothes you guys buy to keep warm. I wear on maybe 2 pairs of socks depending on the temp and what I'm doing. One pair of wool for the socks on the outside of the other pair. then just a pair of unlined bibs with an under shirt and regular shirt. If real cold a knitted hat over my regular hat if not then just the hat. Boots are hard to get for me. I have a pair of the dry shod this year bought new not all that impressed with them they used polyurethane for the soles and are a bit less grip than the old muck boots with the rubber soles. With EEE width feet it is hard to get shoes wide enough to fit with extra socks so just one pair in them. With leather shoes I'm good till they get wet. Gloves vary with job and time. Sometimes a coat and have heavy coat for driving in case of a break down and have to wait in dead vehicle.

(quoted from post at 13:33:06 01/12/22) What kind of thermal underwear and boots do yall use to stay warm?
My legs and feet get cold when it gets down to freezing here in NW SC.
I know getting older does not help matters.
Richard

I can't imagine South Carolina getting really cold, but I'll give you my 2 cents as someone who's lived in the North all my life. Wool! I wear poly/wool long johns, heavy wool pants if it's -10F or lower, turtle neck, sweatshirt with wool vest, a knee length Swedish surplus parka, wool lined chopper mitts with light wool gloves under them, a wool, brimmed hat with ear flaps, a wool scarf if needed. For my feet I used surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots for years, but they tear my knees up. So I'm back to pack boots, American made Lacrosse "Icemans" with a wool liner and 2 pair of wool socks. Probably overkill for South Carolina, but if I'm out in -20F weather on an open tractor in a 20mph breeze... I don't freeze!

The vast majority of my stuff I buy for cheap off Ebay and it lasts for decades. There's a big difference between going from the house to the heated cab and calling it being outside and actually working out in the weather for hours at a time. It depends on what you're doing, but layers work.

This post was edited by Bret4207 on 01/13/2022 at 06:16 am.

You're just tough man!!!!!! Its all those 16 hour days and having to stay busy that keeps you hot. Grin.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back