Radiator Repair

Mr.Big346

New User
Hey y’all, I have a 1952 Farmall Super A and I just pulled the radiator in order to replace the fan pulley and assembly. After pulling the radiator I noticed a few things: 1) the fan had cut into the fins at one point (not causing leaks but looks bad for a restoration) 2) the overflow tube that runs down the side of the shroud is badly bent. Although unrelated 3) the upper and lower pipes on the engine water jacket show brown rust inside and along the walls of the jacket. Is that normal? It isn’t leaking but can a simple flush of washing soda do the trick to remove surface rust? I have faith y’all know more than me so thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Hey y’all, I have a 1952 Farmall Super A and I just pulled the radiator in order to replace the fan pulley and assembly. After pulling the radiator I noticed a few things: 1) the fan had cut into the fins at one point (not causing leaks but looks bad for a restoration) 2) the overflow tube that runs down the side of the shroud is badly bent. Although unrelated 3) the upper and lower pipes on the engine water jacket show brown rust inside and along the walls of the jacket. Is that normal? It isn’t leaking but can a simple flush of washing soda do the trick to remove surface rust? I have faith y’all know more than me so thanks in advance!
With the utmost care, and a radiator fin comb as well as an assortment of small straight blade screwdrivers, the fins can be flexed back into reasonable appearance. When done spruceing it into shape and a light coat of radiator black it can be put back on. once on and connected, use 2 gallons of white vinegar and remainder water as coolant and run it for an hour. drain the block and radiator assess the results anf needed do it again. Jim

Most antifreeze contains rust inhibitors. If the tractor was running straight water, things will rust. An appropriate antifreeze mix will curtail the rust. I've used an old table knife to straighten the fins. As Jim says, go carefully. It'll look good if you take your time. steve

Do very little to the outside, wash with garden hose to lose mud and dirt. Inside rinse and flush upside down and right side up. I clamped a rubber glove to allow leak test. I used a mammoth electric soldering iron to repair the side of one tube. Used jeweler's pliers to crimp edge. Tinned with

Rectorseal 74025 12-Ounce C-Flux , Gray​

Made a tent of copper foil over fin and soldered in.
Keep corrosion package up in coolant going forward.

With the utmost care, and a radiator fin comb as well as an assortment of small straight blade screwdrivers, the fins can be flexed back into reasonable appearance. When done spruceing it into shape and a light coat of radiator black it can be put back on. once on and connected, use 2 gallons of white vinegar and remainder water as coolant and run it for an hour. drain the block and radiator assess the results anf needed do it again. Jim
Thanks this helps a lot

Most antifreeze contains rust inhibitors. If the tractor was running straight water, things will rust. An appropriate antifreeze mix will curtail the rust. I've used an old table knife to straighten the fins. As Jim says, go carefully. It'll look good if you take your time. steve
Thanks! The block was running straight antifreeze, but it could just be iron stained color over the years and not actual destructive rust. Like I said it’s not a big deal— no leaks :)

Before you go messing with an original,non leaking,but ugly radiator, price a new one 🤬, then look at the reviews ( most not good). Then try and find a shop that will work on a 75 year old radiator ( probably won't find one) all of a sudden that radiator is beautiful 😎. An old tractor deserves a few scars

After flushing your radiator and engine block ad 50 50 premix green antifreeze or straight green with DISTILLED water. If you mix your own 50 50 solution with distilled water mix it in a clean pail before you pour it into the radiator. With no water pump it won't mix on its oun. I also wrap a rag around my garden hose an stick it in the lower engine tube and turn it on full blast and let it run until you have clean water coming out to top engine tube.
Dave

Before you go messing with an original,non leaking,but ugly radiator, price a new one 🤬, then look at the reviews ( most not good). Then try and find a shop that will work on a 75 year old radiator ( probably won't find one) all of a sudden that radiator is beautiful 😎. An old tractor deserves a few scars
Thanks, your right, I have seen the reviews for new radiators not pretty. I’ll work on the old one. Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back