Rolling my John Deere Model B

750Ellwood

New User
Hi all. I just bought a place that came with a John Deere Model B. Here's a picture.
I don't really know what I want to do with it, but for now I've got to move it. I want to roll it down the ramp it's on, and then across about 30 feet of grass.
Can someone tell me what I need to do to release any brake that might be holding it in place? There are no wheel chocks in use. Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Library - 1 of 2.jpeg
    Library - 1 of 2.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 128
  • Library - 2 of 2.jpeg
    Library - 2 of 2.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
If it rolls now just pull it to where you want it. As for that pressed steel frame be careful about hooking to it. They bend fairly easy if you don't. A lot of guys make a hole in the front cultivator bracket that bolts on those 2 bolts in the front to pull on or to tie down to.

The pedals on each side are your brakes. They have teeth on them that a piece of flat steel flips over on to that locks the brakes. Push on the pedal slightly and flip the steel to the back and pedal should be free releasing the brakes. Along as nothing in the brakes are stuck inside the drums. Put gear shift in neutral it should roll.

When farmers parked old tractors like that, they simply left them in gear. Engine compression would hold the tractor in place. There is most likely no brake holding it where it is.

First thing you have to do is put air in the tires. It will roll much easier with the tires pumped up. 15PSI in the rear is plenty.
All you need to do is pull the clutch lever back and it will roll.

The pedals on each side are your brakes. They have teeth on them that a piece of flat steel flips over on to that locks the brakes. Push on the pedal slightly and flip the steel to the back and pedal should be free releasing the brakes. Along as nothing in the brakes are stuck inside the drums. Put gear shift in neutral it should roll.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

If it rolls now just pull it to where you want it. As for that pressed steel frame be careful about hooking to it. They bend fairly easy if you don't. A lot of guys make a hole in the front cultivator bracket that bolts on those 2 bolts in the front to pull on or to tie down to.
Thanks. I'll find out this weekend if it rolls!

When farmers parked old tractors like that, they simply left them in gear. Engine compression would hold the tractor in place. There is most likely no brake holding it where it is.

First thing you have to do is put air in the tires. It will roll much easier with the tires pumped up. 15PSI in the rear is plenty.
All you need to do is pull the clutch lever back and it will roll.
Thanks. They look like split rims. Is there any safety concern in airing them up?

Hi all. I just bought a place that came with a John Deere Model B. Here's a picture.
I don't really know what I want to do with it, but for now I've got to move it. I want to roll it down the ramp it's on, and then across about 30 feet of grass.
Can someone tell me what I need to do to release any brake that might be holding it in place? There are no wheel chocks in use. Thanks a lot!
Thanks for the help. It rolled real easy down the ramp. The brake pedals worked and it steered
Now, just got to figure out what to do with it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back