Bayer has loss big bucks in court since buying Monsanto because of glyphosate.

Bayer has said it will take round up off the residential market and will only sell glyphosate to licensed people in the near future.

My question is what does this do to the generic glyphosate market??
I wonder how many used generic glyphosate and then turned around and got compensated by bayer.

John,
I'm no lawyer.
I think Bayer made claims that weren't true.
The Supreme court ruled against Bayer.
The patient on roundup has expired so anyone can make it and sell it..
Again I'm no lawyer.
The court decision didn't ban roundup.
As long as they don't claim generic roundup is safe, then
not a problem making it and selling it.
I just bought a gallon of 41% generic roundup at Rural King.
Yesterday I saw Walmart selling premixed roundup..I think??

I'm not sure Bayer has the authority to make it a restricted use pesticide, I'm leaning toward believing that only the EPA can do that, but if Bayer can, and they do, I applaud them. Some of the questions I see on these forums have me convinced that a whole bunch of folks in this world shouldn't be allowed to buy a can of fly spray, much less buy and use agricultural chemicals.

(quoted from post at 08:19:59 07/06/22) I'm not sure Bayer has the authority to make it a restricted use pesticide, I'm leaning toward believing that only the EPA can do that, but if Bayer can, and they do, I applaud them. Some of the questions I see on these forums have me convinced that a whole bunch of folks in this world shouldn't be allowed to buy a can of fly spray, much less buy and use agricultural chemicals.

Yep!

The patent or copyright is long expired for glyphosate. Bayer is one of many manufacturers that now make that product. If Bayer chooses to limit its sales in an effort to limit its liabilities, that is their choice to make. The other manufacturers may or may not choose to make up the difference or follow suit.

Ok I can agree bayer doesnt have the authority to label it a restricted use pesticide. But they do have the option to not bottle it residential sizes

That leaves the generic market open to fill the residential supply.

Now bayer is doing this to curb lawsuits. Im betting we already have lawsuits against bayer for people that only used generic products.

I fail to see the whole point of one supplier not selling a product.

Ya, I got to thinking about that later. Bayer could just choose not to package it in small consumer containers and not make it available to box stores and hardware stores etc, but at times you see boxes of two 2.5 gallon containers sitting in the aisles at TSC, Farm and Home, etc, and if it's not restricted, Joe Homeowner can lug those out the door. That begs the question, do you want that much sitting in people's basements for 20 years. On the other hand, if Bayer protects themselves by ceasing sales to homeowners, do the suppliers of generics want to assume the liability of they continue sales? These things usually have a domino effect. If Bayer pulls them after already setting aside billions to cover their backsides, will smaller suppliers take the risk of carrying that hot potato?

By the way, not to nit pick, but only dealers and custom applicators are licensed, farmers and other private applicators are certified. Just wanted to make that distinction.

(quoted from post at 10:39:21 07/06/22) Last I saw at Rural King it was $109 for 2 and a half gallons of 41%.

That's a deal. Cheapest I found it was $119 for 2-1/2 gallons at Tractor Supply, but other TSC stores were more expensive, $129, $139...

Yes,
I bought a gallon of 41% under $50.
So roundup is not illegal to sell.
Bayer made a claim that wasn't true.

An effect like you are questioning could happen. The generic products generally ride along the coattails of the name brand product for testing and labeling.

If Bayer gets its label pulled, or de registered, it could have an effect on the other generic products going forward. The generics would need to supply more of their own paperwork.

I think its more complicated than this; but there would be an effect.

Paul

Google EPA and Round up it will say no risk concerns to human health from current use of Glyphosate.

Round up is not a restricted use herbicide according to my salesman. Now I don't know if that measn if packaged in totes or just in 2.5 gallon jugs. the reason for that discussion was a few years ago the local Farm store had it for sal in totes down to jugs. that's when he said it was not restricted use. I see a lot of other herbicides and pesticides at farm stores that I thought were restricted apparently the package size has a lot to do with it. Like 2,4,D and several other versions of broad leaf killers with 24D in them. I agree with RR about there are a lot of people that should not be able to buy fly spray the way they talk about using some of these ag chemicals. As for the price I can remember 40 years ago round up was 60.00 per gallon and used 2 Qts per acre to kill Quackgrass for 3 years. So how is it so high compared to some of the other things like the 950-1100 per ton fertilizer.

Does Bayer make it for the other companies? Kind of like every else. Lots of brands only so many manufacturers.

Vito

Package size has no bearing on a product being restricted use or general use- some of the restricted use products I use are the most concentrated formulas, hence the rate per acre is low and the package size is small for my size operation. When the rate is down as low as one ounce per acre in a minimum of 30 gallons of water, most of us don't need a tote of product.

I have seen some restricted use products opened up to general use, one in particular became less concentrated. I used to apply 2.5 to 4 ounces per acre from a gallon jug, but now the rate is a quart per acre, and the smallest size is 2.5 gallons.

With the volume of glyphosate used worldwide, I doubt Bayer could manufacture all of it. I assume several places make their own generic versions.

I would assume they do. I know Monsanto did. The old guy who owns the fertilizer plant told me that he visited the factory once and that jugs were coming off the line with all kinds of different labels on them.

(quoted from post at 11:46:58 07/06/22) What is the average shelf life for generic glyphosate?

Don't know, but I've got some that is probably over 3 years old and it is still very potent.

(quoted from post at 14:13:33 07/06/22) Google EPA and Round up it will say no risk concerns to human health from current use of Glyphosate.

Don't belive everything you read on the net. If I get near the stuff I break out in hives and my tongue swells.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back