bfullmer

What tool do I need to count points on a deer at 500 yards not going to shoot that far just looking - got cheap binoculars and spotting scope but do I need just better quality tools ?

Lots of magnificationand yes quality optics becomes more important in the higher magnifications. My son shoots the 1000 yard target game and he has a Zeis spotting scope. Probably 85X or more? Ive never seen it up close.

This one might do.
https://optcorp.com/products/planewave-1-meter-observatory-telescope

That would sure bring some clarity to the antler count issue, but upside down. Astronomic instruments see upside down. The price might require a mortgage. Jim

From distant old memory, so take it with a proverbial dose of salt:

The human eye can resolve roughly 1 inch at 100 yards under good conditions, with resolving ability decreasing as conditions worsen.

If a tine is 1/2 inch diameter, it should be visible to the naked eye at 50 yards. Seeing that tine at 500 yards should require 500 yards divided by 50 yards equals 10 (times magnification).

In dim light, the pupil of the human eye can open to 7 millimeters, so the eye can see the entirety of a telescope exit pupil of 7 millimeters.

A 7 mm exit pupil on a 10x telescope requires an objective lens diameter of 7 mm times 10x equals 70 mm.

My thought is that a 7 x 10 telescope is the minimum you need. More magnification and a larger objective diameter are better optically, but heavier, harder to hold, and more expensive.

Good grief, it doesn't need to be difficult. A decent spotting scope and just as importantly, a good stand for it are all you need. Western hunters spend days at a time judging animals from 1000+ yards, in some case where fractions of an inch make a huge difference. Obviously the better quality the scope, the better you will be able to make out details. Probably don't need to spend thousands, but a 100 dollar spotting scope and 20 dollar stand aren't going to work well either. The background will make a difference too, but nothing you can do about that. 20x will be the minimum you'll want to see tine details, most are variable up to 50x or so. I keep mine at 15x most of the time here at the house, but I can't see tines well at much more than 200 yards unless there's snow on the ground. Sometimes I need 45x, just depends.

This post was edited by MJMJ on 12/07/2023 at 11:36 am.

(quoted from post at 19:27:27 12/05/23) Something with good chromatic correction and large objective lense. Astronomical tellescopes have an inverted image (normal science viewing is upside down) Jim
one that could do it

There is another one that could do it listed under similar sponsored items in that ebay link.

$90 for a used "Celestron LandScout 80mm Angled Spotting Scope Fully Coated Optics 20-60x" that retails for over $200

That link will expire around Dec 8, so don't bother if it is past that date when you see this.

I think I will get TWO, one for the house, one for the barn!!! You think I would get a discount if I got two? :)

cvphoto168282.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back