Skyhook Review

CGID

My shop-space doesn't allow for a forklift or chain-hoist so safely lifting heavy tractor castings poses problems. When I commented to a friend how useful a skyhook would be, considering my space limitations, I was surprised he had never heard of them. I asked around and discovered a lot of people don't know what skyhooks are. I thought this forum would be the place to broaden appreciation for this useful piece of equipment.
Skyhooks are understandably rare due to the high cost of materials to make them. The hook itself is cold-forged from the exotic superalloy unobtainium, then coated with diamond hard imposibilium. The hook is suspended from an intricate superstructure that does not exist. These are the features that allow skyhooks to lift unbelievable loads.
Grainger and MSC catalog skyhooks but be prepared to wait, they are special order only. Years back, Sears used to sell them but like anything good, they discontinued them. Harbor Freight sells skyhooks occasionally, but avoid skyhooks from H.F. Their skyhooks probably worked OK in Asia, where they were made, but over here on the other side of the Earth, they only function to hold things down. They should be sold as groundhooks or floorhooks.
As mentioned above, you can never count on H.F. having skyhooks in stock. In spite of H.F.'s vast buying power, it is ironic that the very ships carrying skyhooks destined for H.F. are responsible for this spotty availability. Captains of these ships, savvy to skyhooks' geographically variable force vector, understand that in mid-Pacific, skyhooks only function in the horizontal plane. Caught in mid-Pacific storms, these captains raid the cargo and use H.F.'s skyhooks as anchorless come-alongs to lash unstable, on-deck shipping containers togather.
In a pinch, H.F.'s skyhooks can be used to lift but a cable must be run up from them, then down through a pulley. But then, you'll need a real skyhook to suppport the pulley. Just skip skyhooks from H.F.
Rental places carried skyhooks back when people cared about tools, but then yahoos with no appreciation for tools started using them. When they were done, they just let them float away. They ruined it for everybody.
Don't go to Craig's List for skyhooks. Skyhooks' high price and a seller's demand for a cash transaction are an invitation to get robbed.
The skyhooks on Ebay are always missing a vital part or are just worn out. No one sells a good skyhook.
If you know someone who has a skyhook then you know it is very poor form to ask to borrow it. They may allow you to use it on the premises, but hauling a heavy item over just to lift it, what's the point?
Right now I'm thinking of a two-axis gantry skyhook - imagine the potential of that baby! It would probalby be prohibatively expensive though, even for industry.

Perfect explanation, now would you use your broad talents to expond and expand on the use of board stretchers, a bucket of head joints and the invaulable coffin lifters. to name a few

Then there's special fuel for the red lantern and also the special fuel for the green lantern.

Dusty

I have a coupla skyhooks. Both with bad clutches which causes me to trip over the dang invisible hook and fall. The clutches are so weak that they won't even lift me back up. Worthless piece of junk. They are both for sale. If you buy one or both I will deliver when your not at home as long as your check has cleared.

We had a few skyhooks when I was in the Navy. We often used them to lift the steam blankets for the boilers out of their resting place in the sea chest. Saddly we once lost the keys to the sea chest when someone knocked over a bucket of live steam and they got washed into the bilge. In that case we had to send a bootcamp up and down the water front until he found another ship that would let us borrow their keys. Thakfully he came back with the keys, unlike the other individual we sent looking for an electron analyzer. Seems he spent all day up and down the water front before giving up. That's when we had him do the unthinkable and fill out a chit to see the Captain to see if we could borrow the ships spare......When he finally got to see the Captain he told him what he was looking for, and how long he had been looking.....The Captain got a real kick out of telling him he had been HAD.....LOL

I once had a 'safety' guy want me to tie off to one. I looked up and told him I didn't see one, and I wasn't going to tie off to the side of something where I knew would get slung unto the side of the machine and really get hurt if I fell....So, I threatened to load my tools and go home...with their crane undecked, and in pieces.....before I did something as stupid as he was wanting me to do. Needless to say he backed off real quick and left me alone from that point on.

Understandably why most if not all steam is moved within pipes these days. I kept getting my fingers burned putting the lid on the steam bucket. Then by the time I got it from the boiler room to the extruder floor, old Ray would holler at me because the steam was cold!

In the six years I spent working in the boiler/engine rooms we only had one guy come back with a bucket of water when sent out for some live steam. He had caught on and just said that it was just so cold out that the steam had condensed on him before he could make it back.

The funniest thing ever was the first Captain we had on the Pratt sending guys up to crank down the mast. Going under the old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC you'd swear the mast was going to hit. The Captain send up guys in their dress whites, with a crank for a fire hose reel. He'd then stand on the flying bridge and scream at them to get the mast down before it hit...talk about guys panicking when they couldn't find any way to do it...and the bridge was looming closer and closer....Now that was funny....

Looked for years for a good quality Sky Hook, none to be had at a reasonable price so I did the next best thing. Hooked a Clevis to Cloud 9 and hung my chain hoist from the Clevis. My biggest problem was getting hold of Wily Coyote to get from him an ACME Instant Hole so that I could have a dripless, weather-tight hole in the roof of my shop for the chain-hoist.

Doc

Thanks for the tip on finding a Skyhook! I lent my old one out some years back and you know what happens to loaned out tools!

Does anyone know where I can get aroundtoit? I've been trying to get one for years and no one seems to carry them. It's be a Godsend to get a couple because as I get older I just can't seem to get aroundtoit and get things done.

Oh, and my rememberer isn't working so hot these days either. Any tips on locating these needed tools will be gratefully appreciated.

NCwayne,

I was sent on an errand for a BT punch. I found out what that was when I got to the tool locker.

The next time they sent me to fetch a steam blanket, I went back to my rack and got a few hours of sleep.

D.

Thanks for the explanation. Dad sed he used one when he put the rafters up in the barn. I was pretty young then, and I don't remember how or where he put it. Needed it several times since, and never could find it.

Bret: I can help you. Stop looking for them. All you have to do is start a new project that you know will not require those tools. You'll be tripping over them in no time. Understand that "tripping over them" is just a figure of speech - be careful. Step on aroundtoit and it will shoot out from under you feet. And the rememberers are soft, squishy even and easily damaged.

A Round TOUIT isn't that hard to make. Simply make yourself a round disc of a material of your choice and then use a marker, again of your choice, and spell out TOUIT on it. It makes a handy conversation piece of nothing else.

I had forgotten about them, but yea, we sent a few out for the BT punches too. Most, like you, weren't very happy with what they got when they asked....LOL

Today's skyhooks aren't as dependable as the original ones, the last time I hung the moon I near had a catastrophe.

In the Air Force we'd send the newbies out for 50' of flight line, or a bucket of Jet wash, Sound powered phone batteries or the ever popular ST-1 (st one). Backfired once we sent the newbie out, figured he'd get bounced a round, well he called in every so often saying he was at B/TFS (Bomber/Tanker Flightline support) or Main Supply or CO-Pars (contractor operated parts store), when he was back at his room in the barracks calling in every 1/2 hour or so.

When I was in a jet fighter squadron in the Marine Corps, the M/Sgt in charge of the engine shop got a newbie on the 50 yards of flightline once.

Then a couple of days later, while building up an engine, the same M/Sgt told the newbie to bring him a tailpipe stretcher, which there actually was. There was a curved fairing on the back of the engine that fit over a lip on the rear of the engine with a lock ring holding it in place. I'm sure there was a high-falutin' military nomenclature for the tool that expanded the fairing to fit over the lip on the rear of the engine, but it was commonly referred to as a "tailpipe stretcher".

Having been burnt once, the newbie argued for 15 minutes that there wasn't any such thing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back