Some AC implements

YTSupport

Administrator
Staff member
I went to help a friend with his D15 Gas today (we were going to check out the PD because it was slipping, but putting on the PTO put that off until he's done with his current project), serial number showed it was a 63 but it clearly had Series II decals and was all original. He showed me what he bought with it from the first owner 30 years ago. I snapped some shots because they were exciting items to me.

He has an excellent 10 foot disk with remotes and all, snap coupler. It is in sorry shape in the underbrush, but could be easily made perfect, he forsightedly raised the disks off the ground so the only real rust damaged parts are the wheels and the snap coupler drawbar (it's underground so probably dodgy (I just happen to have another though)). I offered to buy it to save it because he has no use, but he countered with he'd give it to me to restore and keep until he needed it. I don't know about that, because I've always held it as a matter of honor not to have other people's things in my possession, but I might do it because it is a snap coupler piece. I have no use because my mounted 8 foot is perfect for my needs and the 10 foot is a bit large to actually use in the hilly property around here, but saving it from destruction might be interesting. Transporting it could be difficult though since it's a wide load. It would be a nice piece to go with my tractor, and something large enough that the D17D could play with. Totally fell in love with it.

mvphoto21806.jpg

Then he had an original AC post hole digger. I've never seen one in person and it doesn't look like the photos I've seen. It's so worn that it's dramatically conical and won't dig posts in anything but soft ground. Another one I'd love to restore for him. Looks like it's so conical that it no longer has teeth on cutting edges. The shaft is too large for aftermarket augers so it's going to take some welding to adapt a modern auger.

mvphoto21807.jpg

mvphoto21808.jpg

Just because there was discussion on the 400 series loaders on here recently, I snapped a few shots of it. Interesting thing was that it uses a front mount pump and I'd thought only the D17 was fitted with that for 400 series. I'd thought the only 15s with a low pressure separate pump were the industrials. It's all clearly stock though.

mvphoto21809.jpg

mvphoto21810.jpg

mvphoto21811.jpg

mvphoto21812.jpg

The last thing was the cement mixer which the original owner told him was factory, but it seems like an aftermarket. He built his house with it. The mounts were persian orange at one time, but the main part of the mixer was red. The mounts looked factory and I tried to get a shot of them (was dark in the shed). They were made for the rear lower PTO brackets so it was at least targeting the D-series in it's manufacture. I wish I could have gotten it out into the light.

mvphoto21813.jpg

mvphoto21814.jpg

The one thing I missed was the factory 3-point adaptor. It sounded interesting because he said to use his bush hog, he had to get a longer PTO shaft. The top link was extend out much further than my factory 3-points, so I'm going to have to go back out and take a look. Sounds like a strange one.

Really fun time. It's curious that the island he lives on, is where my IB and my D14 came from. I have no idea why ACs were so popular on an island connected to my county, but generally there have been no other ACs around in the farming areas except a couple of Gs which I missed when they sold. I tried to talk him into considering a restoration of the D15, but he had about 7 or 8 old Mercedes and that is how he spends his play time. He suggested I borrow it for awhile and see what happens ;). Can't stand to see an Allis radiator shell that's caved in and I told him we at least have got to fix that. Thing runs like a top though.

On the front pumps I have a D19 with a factory front pump tied into the tractors hydraulic system and have had a D14 with a set up like you pictured.Also my I-600 has a front pump and hydrastatic steering.

Do you remember what year those were? The I-600 I'd expect but the D14 is a surprise. I did see a D14 that was outfitted as a Sperry-New Holland loader with an impressive front loader pump. It looked like it was put together by a 3rd party. I assumed that AC had wholesaled excess D14s in the early 60s since they crowed their market for D15s. The one I saw was labelled as a Sperry-New Holland 114.

You sure have some nice machines. I'd like to get an Industrial, but it is not likely around here.

We had a transport disc like that, but it was a regular drawbar hitch. I had assumed they only made them with a snap coupler hitch if they were fully mounted.

Yes, those loader set ups could be had with the aux. pump and valve. I didn't realize until recently, when here we found out AC made one for a WD/WD45.

And, most interestingly, reading a D15II operators manual, I discovered there was available for the D15II a complete aux hyd. system, much like the D17IV.

I've seen a few D15II's here in central NY. One, maybe two with OEM three point hitch. It's pretty light. I've got an earlier D15II, and a friend has a later one, with several little changes.

The D14 was a later model from the grille but never checked the serial number been a few years since I sold it.Of course with tractors that age a lot of things can happen and changes made.I do have a parts D14 that the front pulley for the crankshaft was tapped with mounting holes to mount a front pump.

I should have taken a better shot of the front. The mounted portion of it was the upper section of the hitch and it had two adjustment levelers. The forward one determine the angle the lift arms grabbed the rather heavy hitch assembly, I presumed this would allow it to lift some of the weight if a traction booster sensed slippage. So even though it had remotes and transport wheels, it was as if it were mounted too, only not enough to pick it up, just to grab weight without impacting the angle as my 8 footer would do. Looked ingenious but complex.

When I started faring in "72 I bought a 12 foot wheeled snap coupler disk. It used the lift arms and was very hard to turn. Eventually I put a straight tongue on it, and without the attachment to the lift arms, it did not have weight transfer.

RE; D-15 series identity. Air cleaner stack in LH hood and oil bath = series I. Air cleaner stack on right hand hood and dry air cleaner = series II
A person wanting to put a loader on a D-series had to make a choice. High pressure with one way lift cylinders and trip bucket, or high flow lower pressure system if he wanted a hydraulic bucket such as installed on your friends tractors. Seen the system on every D series except of course the series 4 17s and 21s that already had high flow systems.

Didn't even notice the air cleaner was on the "wrong" side until you mentioned it (3rd photo in the loader series).

That post hole digger is interesting. Grandpa had an old one that went off to scrap pile many years ago, but all it had was the drive shaft and the worn to bits auger... No frame for attaching to the tractor.

Also that 400 series loader is interesting. Is that a factory pump guard/shield? That one I found on a friend's WD45 in a barn had the crank shaft pulley pump installed as well, but it also had an extra oil sump looking deal on the right side by the brake pedals in front of the fender. You can see it on the right side here, sorta.

Vg1yA4J.jpg

Some difference between the two (WD45 vs. D17) that would require this, or could that have been for something different entirely?

Yes, definitely factory installed, very clean job.

The sump on this was the lefthand tower of the loader. One of the photos shows the fill tube (can over it) and another from the front shows both towers, you can see how the right hand tower is hollow and the other is welded shut.

Just looking at your photo again, it is identical, has the left hand tower sump, you can make out the filler pipe to left of the photo.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back