Storing Funnels

jaoneill

Anyone have a creative way to store funnels? I have a rack with oil an oil catcher tray underneath to catch the final drips, but it only holds 2 funnels at a time. Meanwhile I must have 10-15 funnels of various sizes and configurations cluttering up what seems to be an excessive amount of shelf space.

Anyone have a creative way to store funnels? I have a rack with oil an oil catcher tray underneath to catch the final drips, but it only holds 2 funnels at a time. Meanwhile I must have 10-15 funnels of various sizes and configurations cluttering up what seems to be an excessive amount of shelf space.
I have a plastic tray/tote measuring approx. 10" high, 24" long, and 12" wide with a lip all the way around for storing the smaller funnels. I put a 30 gallon trash bag, still folded to some extent over the box with a bungie type (cloth covered easily stretched) retainer around it to keep the bag in place. Had I know how handy that was and didn't already have one I would have bought one with the lid at Dollar General or such. The funnels fit into each other for condensed storage. Really works well.

I have a galvanized steel, 1 gallon can with a spout and quart markings, like the old filling stations used when putting bulk oil in cars before the cans that just sits on the shelf with a plastic bag over the top to keep dust out like you get with your purchases at stores. The large funnels, I just turn upside down and put something over the opening to keep the dust out.

I put 2 or 3 in a plastic supermarket bag and hang it on wall pegs. Those used for oil are kind of messy next time but there's no dirt on them so it doesn't bother me.

I mounted a piece of about 2-1/2" pvc on the wall at an angle and drilled a series of different sized holes at the top surface of the pipe. Stick the funnels in the holes, then put an elbow at the lower end of the pipe so the oil from the funnels would run down and drip into a bucket. Used the oil in oil squirt cans.

I have a baking pan with a fixture in it with vertical rods to hold the funnels. The rods have cross bars on them so the funnels don't slide all the way down into the pan. This is so the funnels can be stored 'upside down'. That way, any trash or dust can be wiped off the outside and any drips go in the pan. I have only had to drain the pan once since I put that together.

I clean mine after each use and store them in a plastic tote with a lid. Don’t like for them to catch dust and dirt between uses.

I let them drip on a paper shop towel and then stuff it inside to clean it and help keep it clean for use 6 months later. Animal side of the barn has a concrete floor and the shop side has a dirt floor (can't swap sides) and with a barn door open dirt blows through and leaves a layer of dust on everything. I can pull a dusty shop towel out and it is clean and ready to go. Maybe a walmart bag around it will help as well.

We have a couple for oil use. We put them in an old Schwans Ice Cream tin from days of yore since they don't have those anymore. WE stack 2 of them in there. The tin is about 2-1/2 gallon size. Both just fit in there no messing with dirty funnels and they can drain out in the tin once drained into the oil container for a few seconds after use. They set in the old milkhouse so out of the dirt and dust pretty well tin has the original lid on it also. For the bigger ones that will hold a gallon or so they set in the well house upside down on a shelf since it is fairly tight we just wipe them out if we need them. Most fuel is pumped from the tank into the vehicle so no need for a funnel there. Gallon jugs will pour into most things for filling lawn mowers or we just run them to the fuel pump so it is not a high funnel use either. We mix our saw gas in 2-1/2 gallon jugs so the pump fits there also. I would like a funnel with a big like 1-1/2 pipe on the bottom so it would fit a fuel tank opening without flopping around for when I do need one .Don't use one enough to probably bother with it though. It just take so long for oil in winter to flow through a half inch hole in a funnel bottom. It is all part of the clean enough to eat off from so pumps last .

I stack mine in the neck of a 2 gal. oil jug, let them drain in the jug and use the oil in my pump oil can for general use around the shop.

I think it is Agri supply that sells funnels with caps on both ends. I bought a few of those, easy to store.
I have some with the caps, love them. I put some paper towels in them, always need one. joe

Thank you all for some great ideas!
My boss had a cabinet. 3-4 ft wide 2 doors. 5 gallon buckets under the bottom shelf. Shelf made of plywood. Hole saw holes for each funnel above the buckets. One clean rag on every funnel except the little bitty ones. Those had up to 4 under one rag. Top shelf had oil jugs and rag on each of them as well. Keep doors closed and very little dust ever got in.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back