Stump jumper stuck!!

Cajun

New User
Hoping somebody can help me out...
I don't think
20240423_184821.jpg
20240423_184826.jpg
there's any clips or pins holding it, took plenty heat and an impact to get the castle nut off. Where do I put the heat, or what am I missing to get this stump jumper off?

Is there an access hole on the top to remove the nut from the blade bolt? If so, I have used a solid steel rod, about the size of the hole, and whack it with a sledge on the heavy steel crossbar. Then rotate to the opposite side, and just work it back and forth. Most I have seen are tapered shaft coming out of the gearbox, so they can be stuck on pretty good.

Is there an access hole on the top to remove the nut from the blade bolt? If so, I have used a solid steel rod, about the size of the hole, and whack it with a sledge on the heavy steel crossbar. Then rotate to the opposite side, and just work it back and forth. Most I have seen are tapered shaft coming out of the gearbox, so they can be stuck on pretty good.
X 2. If you can also soak down the gearbox shaft top and bottom with your favorite penetrating oil, that will help. Don't be scared to hit it hard either.

Those are notorious for getting very stuck. The general appearance of yours makes it look like it may be the worst one ever.

Those are notorious for getting very stuck. The general appearance of yours makes it look like it may be the worst one ever.
I removed one but was also replacing the gear box. I ended up cutting the shaft on the gear box and put the thing in a press with lots of Kroil and then some heat to get it apart. Put allot of anti seize on it when I reassembled it but don't know if it will help it If I tear it apart again.

If you can get some heat on the top side it would do the most good for you. Then squirt some squirrel pea in the crack on top. Let set and cool then heat again if you could put some pressure on the end of the shaft while heating it you might get it off the first time.

Just get the torch out and heat the collar around the spline red hot, and again. The beat the jumper on the back side. Or take some steel make a puller that will allow you put a hydraulic jack on the shaft to pull the jumper up off the shaft. Heat Heat! Don't be shy it will come off. That rust has a real grip

If you can get some heat on the top side it would do the most good for you. Then squirt some squirrel pea in the crack on top. Let set and cool then heat again if you could put some pressure on the end of the shaft while heating it you might get it off the first time.
I agree with Cat Guy, heat and let cool, applying "loosen juice" as soon as it cools enough not to set the stuff on fire.

Repeat the heat and let cool cycles a few times and, likely it will come off.

Heating stuff up and BEATING on it while hot is asking for the parts to gall together, making it even tougher to get them apart.

But, it seems to be the MACHO thing to do!;)

If you decide to pound or put a jack on that shaft put the nut on first so you don't damage the threads. With the nut on and no washer drill a couple holes ub the jumper plate for 1/2 inch bolts then you can use a piece of a shaft to pull on with a bar of stock across the shaft over the end the piec of shaft will let you tightn the bolts to pull with then the heat it will probably pop loose. Easier than beating with much less damage to things.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back