summer time on the farm

billonthefarm

Summer is upon us. It is 7:30pm and still 93 degrees. We are not in a drought, more of a normal weather pattern almost, but this is the longest stretch of dry weather in 2 or 3 years.

Here are a few pics of mine, some that nick took in the past couple of weeks as we have been keeping busy around the farm.

IMG_0501.jpg

Mowing hay, nothing smells quite like it or gives you a better feeling when the job is done and done right.

IMG_0515.jpg

I remember this hot day awhile back. I had the cubs game on, the A/C cranked up and enjoyed a peaceful afternoon of raking hay.

IMG_0508.jpg

This is a pic nick took after finishing a field one evening. It has been nice not dealing with rained on hay and soggy fields this year.

IMG_0516.jpg

Here the 8920 is pressed into service as we had some A/C difficulties on the 4630. I have bale with open station tractors but a cabbed tractor without the air working can be pretty rough. Figured there was ro reason to make life hard on nick so we switched tractors.

IMG_0523.jpg

We had the opportunity to upgrade to a 567 baler this spring and decided to go for it. To say we have been happy is a huge understatment. Didnt know baling hay could be this easy and fun. Sure have come along way from that 510 deere baler we had!

DSCN5208.jpg

Had a couple friends with some wheat and they asked awhile back if I would come bale the straw for them. Said sure, be happy too if I could buy some of it. That was great with them so nick baled it and we bought the straw. Soooo we went and brought it home the other day. This is a pic of nick coming out the lane to a 9 acre field on the other side of the creek.

DSCN5229.jpg

He carried the bales out two at a time. We didnt think we could cross the creek with our bale trailer. Took 15 minutes for him to make a round trip. Must be close to 3/4 of a mile down this path to the field in the back. The path is in the timber the whole way but it is in decent shape with no washouts.

DSCN5251.jpg

I spent the day yesterday mowing another pasture, untill the A/C quit working again! It was pretty peaceful afternoon till it quit and I headed for home pretty quick. I think I got it fixed now. Meanwhile nick was baling for a friend who reads on here all the time. Hope you didnt get to hot moving those bales bill!!!

DSCN5238.jpg

I thought maybe the cows would be standing in the lake when I went up to mow yesterday. They were down in this draw under the trees. They did wander out about 4pm but never paid any attention to me at all.

DSCN5253.jpg

Here is a photo trivia question. How many people know what this is and where it is?

DSCN5202.jpg

Sitting in the tractor while nick loaded straw bales on the trailer I got to thinking about how many people have spent a untold amout of hours looking at a dash like this. This one is a 4430 but seems like alot of those soundguard cabs had this dash. Think any other dash has been started at for as long as this style????

DSCN5203.jpg

Wrigley doesnt have his driving priviledges yet but I do let him sit in the seat and hold the steering wheel!! Actually the little guy is outside right now. We took a road trip to tractor supply this afternoon. He likes all the attention he gets at there. I'm always scared he's going to mark something when I'm not watching. Oh well.
Keep cool everybody.
bill

BILL...Thank you for doing such a great job with your stories augmented with wonderful photos. Now...MR WRIGLEY is the true star in these postings.!!

Rick

In the second to last pic where you are sitting for trailer to be loaded just wondering if you always leave the tractor sit at such a high idle and why.

Gosh you guys dont miss a thing! I thought someone might ask why I would need a pair of gloves!! The air works awful good if you leave it about 1400 instead of idle. Cant have the dog getting hot now can I.
bill

Hey Bill did you replace those rusty AC lines going up the cab post? That has been the main problem with our sound guards. Do you mow the pastures so there is fresh growth for the cows to eat?

They are just plain bad, I still listen to almost every game and wear a cubs hat everyday, but it is hard to like them right now

Yea, actually replaced all the lines. I have been chasing a electrical problem in the harness down at the bottom right cab corner. Fixed a couple of questionable wires in recent days and then last night I found a bare wire which may have been the problem the whole time. Hope I got it now!
bill

I bet I know why. AC compressor turns faster at 1500 than low idle, not to mention the fan is turning faster cooling the engine and the hyraulic system while at rest. Yeah, I've looked at one of those dashes for many hours, and gets old if your seat accumulator needs to be charged. Recharging the seat is really worth the trip to town, almost as important as the AC.

Great pics, Bill- I'd do the "2 bales at a time through the woods" job for free, anytime! Send plane fare. . .

Seattle Mariners are averaging one run per 22 innings, have lost 9 straight. Don't know how bad the Cubbies are, but I may have to start listening to them instead!

Yep Kitchen cooked chips from Farmington, Il. Been eatin em ever since they came out. Many years ago. Still the best around.

Prolly a litle late though! Huh?

Got to spend some time in a 4430 - Sure seemed like an upgrade from open station 4020 back when you plowed in the fall. Still kinda like to have a 4020 PS - but don't tell my Oliver friends!

Cubs - We might have to WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR

Thanks for the pictures and update.

PS: Can't make it for chores this week - HOT

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back