Tecumseh H60 Ignition Timing/Coil Question

Kerwin

Hello. I have a question about the ignition system on a Tecumseh H60 engine from a JD 624 tiller. The engine ran fine until the connecting rod broke, which was a couple of years ago. I've finally replaced the rod but now the engine won't fire. Crank and cam gears are timed correctly, but I'm getting a weak or no spark even with points and plug gapped correctly. 65-70 psi compression. Would a coil/condenser, etc go bad from sitting for a while? If magneto timing (adjusted by rotating the whole coil unit) was off would that make the engine not fire at all? I've not worked on a Tecumseh before, but the ignition timing looks tricky if I need to pull the head off again. There are a couple of marks on the crankshaft that appear to come before the points would open. Do these relate somehow to the 0.080 before TDC timing setting?

Set the point gap to "spec.".

Then, using a dial indicator, locate the point .080" before maximum piston travel to TDC and set up ignition unit so the points JUST begin to open as the piston is .080" before TDC.

IIRC, (at least on certain models) you can insert the dial indicator probe through the sparkpluh openong in the head and reach the piston.

Here's my home brew solution to that.
cvphoto48098.jpg

cvphoto48099.jpg

cvphoto48100.jpg

Don't rule out a bad flywheel either, I tried everything possible to make this little Wheel Horse run for over a half hour. Finally bought another running, worn out motor and swapped parts one at a time. Flywheel fixed it.
cvphoto48101.jpg

cvphoto48102.jpg

cvphoto48103.jpg

cvphoto48104.jpg

That number was in a youtube video I watched on timing a Tecumseh. I double-checked the JD manual for the tiller and the spec is 0.085 to 0.095, so around 0.090.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back