The Blackberry Control Thread

So................................. I'm lookin' around for pictures of Blackberry leaves (there's different varieties so I gather), AND ALL I FIND IS SITES AND BLOGS DEVOTED TO PROPAGATING THEM. Idiots want Blackberries.........come see me
cussing.gif
 
So................................. I'm lookin' around for pictures of Blackberry leaves (there's different varieties so I gather), AND ALL I FIND IS SITES AND BLOGS DEVOTED TO PROPAGATING THEM. Idiots want Blackberries.........come see meView attachment 166150
Yup. My most despised invasive is English Holly. Given up on chemistry except some success with cut stump treatment. Grubbing and pulling been all that seems to really work. And some folks still use it in landscapes. I would pay for the honor of ripping out the last one on earth!
 
Yup. My most despised invasive is English Holly. Given up on chemistry except some success with cut stump treatment. Grubbing and pulling been all that seems to really work. And some folks still use it in landscapes. I would pay for the honor of ripping out the last one on earth!
It was all over this place when we moved in on and under siding, up a block wellhouse wall and up pecan trees. Triclopyr with a little diesel took care of it. The hard part was scraping off the tendrils getting ready to paint.
 
I said it was gonna be a journey...........................................

stump treatment1.jpg

stump treatment2.jpg

stump treatment3.jpg

erniefp.png

In my defense..........it's been a while since I needed it
biggrin (1).gif


stump treatment4.jpg

stump treatment5.jpg

Bit o' surgery, and we have VICTORY
Ithankyou (1).gif


Continued..............................................
 
What with all this herbicide knowledge I've been absorbing of late................ Thought it was an excellent time to get some practice.

stump treatment remedy.jpeg


Don't have any diesel on hand, so I mixed the Remedy with Kerosene. Ought to work. Kerosene is a close brother to Diesel.

chemical composition remedy.jpeg


While looking at the SDS for the product, I happened to remember the chemical composition was listed. Lo, and Behold, Kerosene is the major carrier.
tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
So, it should be effective to mix with Kerosene. I did a 50/50 mix. A bit above the label call out.

stump treatment6.jpg

stump treatment7.jpg

While the outer layer/ring is the most critical, I just painted the entire surface.

stump treatment8.jpg

Including the bark down to soil level.

There's plenty of good videos on this. I'd tend to recommend the ones from the herbicide companies, and university ag extension services.

Now, I guess I'll toddle off, and jack up the sprayer to put some wheels on it(sigh)
 
It was all over this place when we moved in on and under siding, up a block wellhouse wall and up pecan trees. Triclopyr with a little diesel took care of it. The hard part was scraping off the tendrils getting ready to paint.
Foliar application or cut stump?
 
Foliar application or cut stump?

Foliar. I guess the folks who lived here before me planted every type of invasive available in the 50s. Had this around the house and wisteria and what I think is some kind of jasmine around shrubs and in monkey grass. Also had all kinds of holly around that kept sprouting back. It has been about 5 yrs, but I think I mixed about 20% diesel in. Tried it without it first without success.
 
Foliar. I guess the folks who lived here before me planted every type of invasive available in the 50s. Had this around the house and wisteria and what I think is some kind of jasmine around shrubs and in monkey grass. Also had all kinds of holly around that kept sprouting back. It has been about 5 yrs, but I think I mixed about 20% diesel in. Tried it without it first without success.
Thank you. I will give that a try.
 
And the fun continues..............................


I'm frozen solid. Probably corrosion. If it looks beyond repair, I guess a new one is in store for $235. TSC has them cheaper by about 30 bucks, but they don't have any in stock.

"Have a great day" she says:rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Looks like a trip to the Big Town is in order.

pump2.jpg


pump1.jpg


pump3.jpg

The pitting in the housing wall is the deal breaker. I could built it out with Bronze, then turn it..................but it would likely be Christmas before I got it finished LOL. A repair kit is $100.......half the price of a new pump...........so new pump it is.

Lesson learned. Next time I'll pull the pump off the sprayer, fill it with waste oil, and put it up in the shop.

So..........................

235 for new pump
170 for new tires
So far, we're at about the cost of buying 10 round bales...........gotta put everything in perspective.
 
And the fun continues..............................


I'm frozen solid. Probably corrosion. If it looks beyond repair, I guess a new one is in store for $235. TSC has them cheaper by about 30 bucks, but they don't have any in stock.

"Have a great day" she says:rolleyes:

Since it comes from me, you will doubtless ignore this out of hand. I’m gonna say it anyway: hire the co-op to spray this. They’ll do a thousand times better job, it’ll be done in two hours, and you’ll be out from under the gun.

I know whereof I speak: when we moved to our place, there was a nine acre pasture that was solid thistles. I spent ten years mowing and spot spraying, but it wasn’t until we bit the bullet and paid a local applicator that we made real progress. Do yourself a favor and drop a dime to the co op.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top