The Blackberry Control Thread

You don't want to breathe those fumes whether you put it on or the drones do. Back in the '60's my grandfather died after spraying brush with 245-T ( agent Orange) which was a "supposedly safe" product at the time.
Plow that ground. Blackberrys are fairly shallow rooted. Turn those roots up to the sun. Out here we replant hay every year.
 
You don't want to breathe those fumes whether you put it on or the drones do. Back in the '60's my grandfather died after spraying brush with 245-T ( agent Orange) which was a "supposedly safe" product at the time.
Plow that ground. Blackberrys are fairly shallow rooted. Turn those roots up to the sun. Out here we replant hay every year.

Dioxin was the culprit.



Triclopyr is toxic to the blood, kidneys, and liver.

2,4-D is an Ester...................if you smell it, you're breathing it. It's volatile stuff.

Nobody can tell me that any of this stuff is safe.

Have to go to Tulsa tomorrow to pick up a more powerful spray gun

https://www.valleyind.com/product/long-range-spray-gun/

....will also pick up a new respirator that has P-100 cartridges, which are listed for pesticides(which includes herbicides). My old respirator is just listed for painting vapors.

I appreciate your concern.........this is nasty stuff.

So....................... I fixed K'kins sweeper today, and hoped it might earn me enough credits to convince her to go to Tulsa in the AM. No soap. She's holding firm........but maybe I'll break her down tonight:)
 
Last edited:
If I can get running by Sunday, surface winds are predicted to be 10mph steady with gusts in the afternoon to 20mph.
I'm sure your downwind neighbors will be glad to hear they and their property will be receiving your overspray. All of your overwrought drama about spraying your mess evidently doesn't extend to them.
 
Just so you know you are not alone
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20261009_142201429_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20261009_142201429_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20261009_142032227.jpg
    IMG_20261009_142032227.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Triclopyr burn down.............................. Plants were sprayed on 9/28/26, 2% solution. Small test plots.

chem6_.jpg

chem7.jpg

This corresponds to the guy's take on it. The Triclopyr gives a fast, satisfying result.........but is it for real????

chem8.jpg

I had a question.................. Am I seeing the plant go into dormancy, or am I seeing results. Judging by the one/few healthy canes in the thicket, which were probably missed when spraying..........I think I'm seeing results. BUT I DON'T TRUST THEM. I won't know for sure until the Spring.

You might note the pics of the healthy plants under the high line taken a few days back. No signs of dormancy.

Even the "healthy" canes are dying from the bottom up, so it seems.

Obviously the plant is in stress.......but is it a killer stress?? Did enough Triclopyr transport to the roots?
 
What we've learned about perennials (K'kins is part of this)..............we now know that the stuff with the yellow flowers needs to be sprayed at this time........not in the Spring. This stuff comes on late in the year, never in the regular growing season. Always after the grass has been grazed for a full Summer.

While it's a late season pest, it has to be using nutrients, and preventing good forage growth. It's bad enough that this was in Cotton for years during the Depression. Never has been good pasture. Grama had 3 little mouths to feed, and had to lease it out back then. To this day, the grass is sparce.

The pastures around here are absolutely covered with this. And, these guys spray like mad in the Spring. They're missing it. This stuff is making energy for regrowth next year. Perennials require a completely different mindset.
 
Got to thinking this evening. Getting really late, past bedtime.

Used to be, this was a pretty easy cakewalk. Put in the hours, and get results. And move onto the next thing to be done that day.

We're infested with Eastern Red Cedar here in Oklahoma. It's a legacy of the Dirty Thirties. They brought the trees in to help prevent soil erosion.

I used to push pasture out about maybe 40' at a time. Every Cedar, especially the large ones, gave you another 40' of ground. The lower branches cover a lot of territory.

bucking cedars.jpg

You limb one side, as high as you can reach, then drag the limbs off to the side so you can get to the trunk. Then, you could cut the tree down. This is probably a 30ish to 40ish foot tall Cedar. Limbing them, looking at the way they were growing, and the lay of the land..........you could predict where they would fall. You can do a lot with a chainsaw.

Now..........this is all well and good.........but what do ya do with the things. You can drag them with a chain, but you can only drag them into rows. Takes up more land than you cleared.

Time to fire up the welder. While I know this steps on some toes..........there's welders, and there's fabricators. I'm in the later group.

Put something together to handle the problem, and pat yourself on the back when it works.

You make huge piles of this crap, and wait for a wildfire to come through........which happens occasionally. You'd be an idiot to try to burn a pile like this.

So now it's Blackberries, and saplings (some of which are fairly large). The game never ends. The players just get old.

(The wildfire did come through about 2yrs(?) ago. Piles gone. Took near 20yrs, but it happened. Pics are sometime around 2007.

It's a young man's game. It takes time, and it takes physical health/strength. That goes away with time. You can't play catch up when you get older. You start to get steam rolled.

I'm not crying about it. It's a natural progression. It's the stuff of thoughts, and remembrance. A nice feeling.

And...........I'm still at it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top