The difference between two dealers, and Thanks to YT

WellWorn

Pardon my rant, but because I posted a very technical question on the MF subforum and a former dealer wondered if I didn't have a dealer I could get the info from, I thought a wider reply was in order.

As background, I have 2 'red' tractors - one, a '61 MF65 Hi Clear, and the other, a '51 Super A with a good bunch of implements. The "local" CNH/IH dealer is 33 miles away, and the AGCO/MF dealer is another 3 miles further down the road from them. Both are small dealerships, but have been in business for decades.

Unfortunately, I've lost all faith in the MF dealer. They laid off their helpful parts person a few years ago, and when I only need information, they seem horribly inconvenienced. Their parts are excessively expensive; they rarely have what I need in stock, and I either pay unreasonably more for shipping or wait weeks for items to arrive with their 'regular orders'. Lately even promised return phone calls are not made. If I called to ask about the Service Bulletin I need, they would have to 'look it up and get back to me' (and I wouldn't get it until I showed up in person to be a bother).

It seems what they really want to do is to sell new tractors; that providing parts for antiques (that they aren't making shop rate to fix themselves) is about on par with fixing the inside dual of loaded 16.9x38's in in the low spot of 40 acres of mud while it rains.

If the 65 HiClear was not the nearly ideal tractor for our use here (and if I didn't have so much in repairs in it), I'd be trading it for a different brand of red.

The parts guys at the CNH/IH dealer couldn't be more different. They always have time to talk tractor with their customers (if someone else isn't waiting), cheerfully give advice to make sure they get the right parts or from whom they might locate something obsolete, they have lots of SA parts in stock and when parts need to be ordered they are 'in' in 2-3 days with no 'extra' shipping charges; they gladly dig through their database for info (even a few minutes after closing time), and their parts prices are usually right on par with what I could order from 'discount on-line plus shipping'. I gladly drive the 66 mile RT and pay a bit more to give them my business - it's well worth it!

I now get every MF part possible on-line, not only because it's far less expensive and the parts are at my door in a couple days, but because I know I'm dealing with folks who want my business. Unfortunately, the decades of experience in service work that goes with those parts is not so easy to come by, especially when a 'tweak' rather than a 'restore' would be a functional improvement for a working tractor. For that, I come here, and if that fails, figure it out as best I can myself.

:arrow: This is where I give thanks for and to the good folks here on the YT Forums who so generously share of their time and accumulated knowledge in keeping the old iron as usable as it was intended to be decades ago on a drawing board.

It may not get mentioned as often as it should, but you all are much appreciated. :D

Well Worn

Same thing here...Local JD dealer was recently sold
to an absentee owner.They quit selling ANYTHING that
did'nt say "John Deere".They no longer sell baler
twine,grease guns,small hand tools,small 'short
line' equipment,etc.They dont take 'trades' unless
its under 10 years and a John deere.All they want
to do is deal with the 'big operators'.Several/most
employees are quitting/seeking other
employment...Now they closeing up and building a new
'"super store" in the next town.

That's business, some are good some aren't. I would bet the folks at the
CNH dealer probably enjoy coming to work everyday, the folks at MF have a
spike in blood pressure just before work every day. It might just be the
personality of the management/owner of the MF store, it might be as a dealer
for a smaller line, they have always been running on a slimmer margin. They
might of never had the luxury to take care of the customer first and have
profits and sales follow. Some of it might be pressure the house is getting
from the manufacturer to put units out the door and if you can't put them
out the door we'll terminate the relationship and find someone that can. I
don't know how they set sales quotas or if they even do but If I were king
the dollars from retail parts sales would play heavily in my rating of the
dealer's effectiveness in their community.

You do realize your "newest " tractor is 51 years old. I was pleased in the ealrly 90's when I could go to a Harley dealer and order a 1972 oil pump. I still ask but they look at me with two heads . They just look at a computer screen now. Just be happy the other guys do seem to love the job they do and will talk old parts. I'm taking a guess obsolete comes up in the computer sometimes and somewhere in the dealer is the part you need .

It's unfortunate, there seems to be a systemic decline in customer service throughout our society. I constantly have these types of battles now and I go out of my way to find salesmen & parts folks who really want to help. When I do, I stick with them and tell them why. I then tell the others why I don't spend money there anymore.

Local Cnh global or fiat agri or who ever they are this week is
the exact same way needed a chain for my 620 grain drill
doesn't even offer it anymore the only place we can get it
from has a minimum and ten feet will cost around a hundred
dollars. John Deere had it in stock for 28 bucks

Harley parts availability can be interesting- went in to northern chicago area dealer one time for valve guides on a UL I was rebuilding, asked for the guides and kid at counter tried fiche- couldn"t find the model, then tried a guide book and it showed the model as a Harley ended production to public 1949, use parts book number whatever. Dug out parts book, blew off cobwebs and dust, found part number, went to price book and found 3 superceding numbers, went to shelf area for the parts numbers to get special order/backorder slip and saw a box with the current part number on shelf -and it had 5 guides in it!!!. I bought the 3 I needed and when the price code line checked it came up as a "Moderate sell" stocking number- no "special order price". Kid was a little unsure of price and went in back to talk to head mechanic- overheard the chuckles, the first was that cycle was ended before kid was born, second was valve guide for 1937 side valve was same as the police trikes still used at the time so normal rebuilds on G meant valve guides and crank bearing for the over heated by idling in traffic abused 45 sidevalves meant they sold enough to warrant the "stocking" price code and the reorder that week would have replacement to stock added. Parts kid had his cycle stolen and couple months later I told him roughly where it was and who to talk to for recovery- did aggravate the skull and crossed piston crowd that was riding it a bit.

I have a great AgCo dealer, the JD is mixed. One company with lots of shops around the area. I stopped at one and it took a week and a half to get the part,the nearest shop had it in stock.(I drive a delivery truck and see a lot of dealers)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back