To flush or not to flush

mblair441

I just drained the transmission case on my 59 Farmall cub. It was a steady slow stream of white goo. I dont really know how water couldve gotten into the transmission
case since the tractor is stored inside, and it rarely ever rains in west Texas, but I digress. Should I flush the transmission case with some diesel? If I do, should I move
the tractor around to get it sloshed around in the case or can I just jack up a the wheels and spin a little bit? Also, go back with regular gear oil or is there something
new and improved that I should use?

Thanks

Well never worked on or owned a Cub, but on a H and M, you will never get it all out by draining and or ,and it isn't enough even ,on a incline, the best way is the hard way and take the top cover off and wipe it out under the Bull Gears, on a M there a gallon left in there, the worst crap you will ever see!!! It could be 50 plus years old !!!! I used 85-130, because they sell it in the bulk locally!!!

I would replace the fluid with Hytran or it's equivalent. Makes starting in cold weather much easier and it has high cleaning properties to help clean out the transmission. You could use it for a while and then after a good warm up like discing or such change it again.

IF you are intent on flushing I would get some 50 wt oil. Run it for a month or so then change out back to the regular 80/90 or what ever you choose. The Diesel fuel will not supply enough lubrication for the bearings and gears. The 50 wt is used in all the manual semi transmissions in the country unless they are being used in real hot weather or pulling excessively heavy loads. I have used it in my trucks for the last 25 years with no gear or bearing issues. It gets used summer and winter in MI I ran it down to McAllan and Nogales in the summer and MT,WY in winter with the 50 has over a million miles on it now and still going.

I prefer to flush with 5 gallons of kerosene , drive it around some hills in yard I all directions and after a few more runs , drain out . Im in no hurry to drain ,Ive had it in case for over a week . It also exposes the old leaking leather seals that have dried up and no longer seal . You will notice kerosene evidence. You my reconsider if you have no intention of replacement of the seals . I did cause I didnt want any oil leaking into the and on the brake bands .
I use the tractor to haul larger loaded hay wagons and cannot have any issues with brakes .
I also have a flexible mechanics magnet the I run around inside the bottom drain in case . In my case collect all the ferrous gear teeth , wire or pins I have found inside . Noted the wire and pin were not part of any differential parts .

(quoted from post at 15:49:29 01/29/23) I just drained the transmission case on my 59 Farmall cub. It was a steady slow stream of white goo. I dont really know how water couldve gotten into the transmission
case since the tractor is stored inside, and it rarely ever rains in west Texas, but I digress. Should I flush the transmission case with some diesel? If I do, should I move
the tractor around to get it sloshed around in the case or can I just jack up a the wheels and spin a little bit? Also, go back with regular gear oil or is there something
new and improved that I should use?

Thanks

I have had good luck with flushing with diesel fuel and driving.
I feel the best way to get the fuel to clean up inside is with driving. Then fill with regular gear oil.

While changing the rearend fluid you should remove the axle housing bottom covers and change that oil also. You will need new gaskets for the covers.The fill plugs are on the inside of the casting where the drawbar mounts to the casting. Full is level with the plug hole.

5 GALLONS? In a Cub?

You'll have kerosene running out your eyeballs! They only hold about 2 quarts.

On a Cub it's easy-peasy to flush the transmission out and do a good job of it. 8 Bolts and the shifter cover comes off the top of the transmission, giving you access to everything. Get a pump sprayer and a gallon of diesel or kerosene. Leave the plugs out, and spray the inside out with as much pressure as you can put into the sprayer. You'll probably have half a gallon of diesel left over.

I only recommend this because of the small quantities of oil and diesel involved. Normally I would only recommend a drain and fill because the milky oil will be diluted and a little bit won't hurt anything.

Yep FLUSH it Not once but as many s it takes to get it cleaned out BU may i add also dump a qt of ATF in with the diesel or Kero. ATF has great lube quality's along with detergents .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back