To Paint or Not to Paint, That is the Question

Thanks for the advice. I don't think anything when I see tractors like how mine looks at shows, so I don't know why I was concerned about how mine will look. Pride I guess. I actually do have a deadline to get it running, which is august 2024. So my plan is get running, reassembled, and run it for a while and then see how much time I have left before the deadline.

You are on the right track. Running, driving, all issues fixed, and no leaks. Then, you can worry about paint. Most people will be drawn to a fresh painted vintage tractor over a rusty orig. I would paint it back to the way it left the factory. Lots of labor, not a lot of material cost.

I would get it running and driving firstlike everyone has
mentioned. In this case after you have it running and all of
the bugs worked out then go back and repaint it. I have an
all original B that will never get a new coat of paint because
it is so original. I have plenty of others that have been
painted a few times over the course of their lives. Those are
the ones that will get the full paint and decal treatment from
me.

cvphoto144768.jpg

my biggest issue is that I can't afford sandblasting/painting equipment. Do you know how much the charge would be for someone else to do it for me?

Not much gets done for under 100 dollars per hour around here but these are professional businesses versus being a guy with an
air compressor plus blaster and applicator. Good to work on metal while waiting for parts but in your case maybe get the
mechanical stuff done first before going on to the next step.

NY 986, my dad says the same thing. My mom says to get it running then see what happens. My sister says to paint it. Not much help deciding, huh?

(quoted from post at 16:58:07 01/11/23) NY 986, my dad says the same thing. My mom says to get it running then see what happens. My sister says to paint it. Not much help deciding, huh?

Fix it first, then get the sister to break out the sandpaper and primer, let her get some fun in prep for paint.

I would think collecting all the parts and assembly would be the first step. This has to be done before painting anyways - you don't want to do disassembly/assembly and bang up the new paint. I would also get it running before paint - in running condition the tractor should be worth more money than pretty paint.

If you don't like the green paint on some new parts, shoot them with primer. Also, be careful with sand blasting around machinery. The sand can get in areas you least expect and is hard to clean out. It can do major damage to engine parts etc.

Good Luck on your project.

Based on what I saw from projects done years ago things such as hood, grill, and wheels were pulled off of tractor so debris did
not wind up in the tractor itself when wire brushed or sandblasted. This was a young fellow like yourself who did not have money
to do the whole project at one time. While he was waiting to save money for engine, clutch, and transmission parts he cleaned
those items up. It helped that his dad had what he needed but the point remains there are things that can be done while waiting.
The insides of the hood and grill will need to be painted anyways before reinstalling. Probably other pieces such as the air
cleaner as well. Then towards the end you can install the sheet metal with the intent of leaving it on and painting the exterior.

So what did you deside? I just told you when you get good rims just paint the
insides to proteck from rus, Can be any type of spray can paint but something
to keep rust at bay while you deside and you will not have to dismount tires
later to protect the rims by dismounting the tires and remounting them.

If you decide to paint it , you.may be able to rent an air compressor and a big blaster over the week end. The spray gun is very unexpensive, so is john deere factory paint.

You abdolutely need to do the mecanical stuff furst, and fully reassemble begore painting. If you need to realign, it is much easier begore done.

You can get 6 inch wire wheels for straight grinders fairly cheap.
They get a lot of job done. I bet you can clean up the entire tractor in 2 days.
They are not rzally mafe for anangle grinder 1nd you have to.find the right washer and keep them centered, use safety equipment because you will use them at 3 times their normal speed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-crimped-wire-wheel-67864.html

(quoted from post at 19:55:36 01/10/23) I am trying to decide whether on not to paint my 1943 John Deere B. Part of me wants to paint it and the other wants to leave it original( It's only original once). The one thing that's bugging me is that a few parts are going to be brand new with green paint. I'm only 14 and money is tight, so if it doesn't look odd I'm just going to overhaul it. Does this look ridiculous?

When I started working on my Oliver 77 I knew I was going to repaint it. My approach was as I removed various parts to do repairs, I painted the parts and the areas on the chassis/ frame that were around them while I could get to them. I didn t want to have to go back and pull everything off again in order to paint.

This doesn t help you if you are still undecided about painting. But as someone else asked; how do YOU want it to look after all the time and hard work and money you put into it?

I am trying to decide whether on not to paint my 1943 John Deere B. Part of me wants to paint it and the other wants to leave it original( It's only original once). The one thing that's bugging me is that a few parts are going to be brand new with green paint. I'm only 14 and money is tight, so if it doesn't look odd I'm just going to overhaul it. Does this look ridiculous?
mvphoto101286.jpg

mvphoto101287.jpg

mvphoto101288.jpg

mvphoto101289.jpg
I like them original looking and running well.

you don’t have to get just right ,just get it running . Perfection will come later . Oops there isn’t a perfect tractor .
buff out the sheet metal and put some fluid film on it and will look fantastic.
If you want to Factory paint job ,do it yourself , Don’t forget the paints runs like original

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back