Took the WD out plowing after a 2 year break!

Will Herring

Been two years since I've had the WD out but had a few free hours and a couple acres or so of bean field to play in, so I put the snap coupler plow on and went to work.

Some video I put on youtube (actually figured out how to record in HD, just wish I had spent more time putting the camera in better spots with the sun, but hard to record yourself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDHqoT2ZjA

Anyway, just a few passes and the plow shined up nicely. I can never get it to stop sticking to the top pieces, but I plowed on anyway.

OPMgUf5.png

t91288C.jpg

DlLgMYH.jpg

rMMYWK9.jpg

LWLpLL6.jpg

oHXHF27.jpg

Anyway, after a few hours of fun, wire wheeled it all clean with my angle grinder and re-greased the plow and tucked it back in the shed. Had no issues pulling in 2nd gear wide open throttle.

Good job plowing, I like to see a smooth field where you have been. Coverboards can be a pain to get shined up!! Next time take a putty knife with you and keep cleaning the stuck on dirt off and you will eventually get them to shine up. Good job!!

We used to buy a can of cheap hardware store rust paint and paint them before putting them away for the year. Seemed to work

Nice job of plowing. What gear are you using, second or third? I see the throttle lever being moved to wide open but it sometimes looks a little fast for second even so? Ans what size bottoms are they?

The tractor and plough look very nice, and I like seeing
this older equipment getting used some. When I was a
kid, in the early 60s , several farmers around us had
AC tractors with snap coupler attachment tools to do
their farm work. By the time the 70s came along,
almost all of the snap coupler equipment went to fence
rows, as guys bought bigger and bigger tractors. Used
to see good looking ploughs at farm auctions that
could hardly get a bid. Really a shame, cause most
were not worn out

wolfman -- Thanks!

johnofnewhaven -- Thanks, always fun to get the old iron out!

super99 -- Starting to debate on taking the coverboards off... Seems like the front one is almost good to go, but the other two just plug up every pass.

Philip d -- I've heard of people doing that. I assume the paint comes right off in a hurry the next time you plow. The grease seems to work well, I've got about 1/3 of an old 5 gallon bucket from well before my time. When I run out, I may need to find a "new" approach like this.

4wdtom -- Wide open in 2nd gear. Seems to pull and roll the best. Not sure on the bottoms, but I suspect they're 3-12?

Rich's Toys -- Yes indeed.

Bruce from Can. -- shame how much stuff wound up in the fence rows just to rot; appreciate the stuff I've got that is still in one piece

Traditional Farmer -- That's a very nice combo!

560Dennis -- For sure!!

DPittman -- Thank you sir!

centralilbaler -- Oh dang! I could at least have come over to watch haha. This weather this weekend has been incredible for working outside.

TomA in CA -- Once I run out of my 5 gallon bucket of old water contaminated grease, I may have to try out the paint route to see how it does.

jddrawbar -- Haha, thanks, I wish. Something either isn't adjusted right or is bent/worn out, because I cannot keep a clean furrow for anything.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back