Tractor recomendations

jmvmopar

New User
It's time for me to upgrade to a larger tractor. The Massey MF65 is just a little too small but a darn good tractor.

So I'm looking for something diesel and just as reliable in the 75 hp range.

I'm kind of partial to the Allis Chalmers 185 but the lack of a differential lock is a bit of a concern. I'm also not a big John Deere fan, I work for Deere and their engineering leaves something to be desired.

What are your suggestions?
mvphoto108397.jpg

If you like the Massey features, go with a
bigger Massey. If you go to a different
breed, you'll likely miss a feature of some
sort that Massey did.

I always liked the features on a Massey.
But working on one (mechanically), I don't
much care for. Seems like they made things
a little harder to work on compared to
others. My only strike against a Massey. I
have a 235. Love the drivers seat, but hate
the wrenching on it. I'd rather wrench on
any other breed of tractor I got, than the
Massey. It's on the bottom of the list in
that regard.

Stay with a Massey.1080/1085 would be a fantastic tractor. Several in the neighborhood.About 85 horse

I've wrenched on all brands of tractors for over 40 years and don't share your thoughts on john deere engineering. An Allis 185
would never be on my go to list as I would much prefer an XT190. Masseys are just plan mean to work on. I can have the hood off a JD
3020/4020 in 1/10 the time it takes to get the hood removed from a massey. My preference would be a deere or ford in the horse power
range you're looking for or an XT190.

Unless you are working in muddy or wet conditions a diff lock is not needed in most other conditions. In fact I've never had one to use so don't know how it would be. I have feathered the brakes to get a somewhat similar working out of the rear tires. I would have to say probably something like a 756,806,856,Deere3020,4030,4020,or even like a case 730,830 would all be good options with plenty of power and all the live power toys like PTO,hydraulics,power steering and good brakes if maintained. Deere would probably have the best hydraulics of them all with closed center system if you intend to run any hydraulic motors or other hydraulic options like sprayer pumps and the like. Due to lack of dealers for most of the old Allis stuff and Massey I would probably shy away from them and yes they got combined into the Agco umbrella so yes dealers but not of the
Allis or Massey persuasion like years past.

Oliver 1655 or 1655? Know its not an allis but kinda sounds
like the right size.

John Deere has some unique stuff thats for sure why that
cylinder head bolt is right in the way of the hydraulic control
block on new generation stuff is beyond me but what always
got me is they had parts everywhere at least for me locally
and generally once repair the unique thing ran for a good long
time.

While i have never used one the IH 56
series of tractors come in a variety of
sizes and seem to be very reliable. They
are kind of a hot item right now in new
collecters eye though.

Before I give my opinion I need to know
how big is your wallet?

I have a mounted rotary rake and just love
it. Do you like your pull type?

Lot of good tractors out there in the size you're looking for, basically any color. I would
suggest to find the best buy not a particular make. I have to ask, does your employer know
that your on a tractor site talking bad about their product?

Ford 5600,6600, 7600 all great tractors with lots of aftermarket support on parts. Even better the 5610,6610,7610 at almost the same price range. around 76, 86 and 96 hp at the engines give or take.

Of a select group of tractors buy the one in the best condition regardless of brand. AC 185. Oliver 1655. JD 3020. IH 706. Ford
6600. JD 4030 (OK, that is 80 HP). I don't know what the exact bugaboo is with JD for you but given the overall parts support I
would find it hard to look away from proven models. As it is you will sift through a number of tractors that have seen better
days. A couple of real low hour JD 4040's coming up for auction out my way soon and well cared for low hour tractors nnalert all
others.

If lack of differential lock is a major concern then forget the Oliver 1655. A fair number of 3020's and 706's were sold without them.

There is a lot to choose from in tractors made from the 1960s to the present. Plenty of good suggestions have already been made. Sounds like you are now making small square bales. Going larger than 75 HP would give you the option to step up to disc mowers and large round or square balers too, with an air conditioned cab. At twenty to sixty years old condition can be a lot more important than the brand. Do you have a budget in mind?

You pay a lot for that parts support. I was looking for HALF of the drive shaft (just the shaft and knuckle - not even the universal joint or the part that slides on the wheel shaft) on John Deere 660 rake that runs from the wheel to the gear drive. John Deere price $540 and up. Real world price for a series 12 yoke and shaft $134.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back