Ande

Its getting old up here,in more ways then one.12 below here.But it was nice and sunny yesterday.
I"m just getting ready to send my order in for 150 Black Hills Spruce trees.And 50 Juneberry bushes,to plant at my little farm.Over the last 4 years,I have planted over 600,by hand.My old lab will come along with me,every once in a while,sit where I"m about to dig and put another little tree.

Do others here plant trees?

Yes I have averaged about 150 white pines and a dozen or so hard woods per year for the last five years.
My biggest issue is that the farmer that farms the perimeter of my property either sprays them or mowes them over. It has been done by his help and I don't think they have done it intentionally. I have a row of whites along the road of about 100 that I need to thin out and replant. Hopfully I can get to it this spring before they get too big. I have made my mind up that I not planting any new ones this year.
JRay

tried planting hardwoods for grandkids firewood supply, deer love them, very tasty

pines and spruce don't taste as good to them, try to plant 500/year

Try to plant some trees every year. Seems like every time I turn around the greedy land hoard types are shoving more into the creeks. Too bad more people dont put more value in our environment.

I've planted close to 900 over the past 2 years. 700 Scotch Pine, 100 Blue Spruce, 100 Norway Spruce. Don't know why but few of the Blue Spruce made it. Plan to do about 200 this year. Figure in a few years I'll put out the "Cut your own Christmas Tree" sign. Once they get past a foot or so, the deer seem to leave them alone.

I had to quit Blue Spruce,as to many diseases,I actually planted 600 of them where I currently live,and they had a rough time.In my front yard I have several Blue Spruce,and one Black Hills,the Blues have to be sprayed every year as they get sick easy,and the one old Black Hills,it just keeps getting bigger.
Talking with the forest service here where I get my trees tell me Black Hills are the most disease resistent.

I am cutting down scotch pine dead beetle gets in them and a virus or something plugs up the vascular ways they die of starvation.We had a wind break now having to cut it down. The forest people recommend burning and digging roots to stop it but it all over this area Nebraska.Re planting with cedar and spruce and a mix of all type of evergreen no more scotch pine. Seems like when you plant to many of any one kind it causes problems

Red Oaks are dying off in NW Akansas, The last few years have been very hard on all trees there. A Very hard freeze in late spring, one year, then a devastating ice storm last year. The soil on my place is very rocky, I don't know what to plant.

I planted hundreds of balsam fir and white cedar trees and found out it's a total waste of time in my area of NY. The deer strip them bare every winter. Only small trees I've planted that have survived the deer are the tamaracks. Not as tasty, I guess.

I kind of wonder now how Balsam and Cedar ever got big around here. Must of happened during years when deer populations were low.

Two foot trees can be very hard to see in 4 ft grass. One of my property owners has planted trees, he mows beside them and puts posts with surveyors ribbon next to the ones he can't mow by. Yes, steel posts are hard on tires. And of course anyone that farms knows it and will avoid going anyplace where one could hide, so it is unlikely that anyone mowing would intentionally get very close to planted trees that they can see.

We try to plant at least 500 a year, white spruce in dry land, Tamarack in wetter ground. This year I also ordered 25 white pine, and I plan on putting cages around them to protect them from the deer. We have about 200 volunteer white pine that we spray with a pest repellant, seems to work somewhat. It's great to see them make it to 10 ft tall, but them the bucks rub there antlers on the trunk and damage that. That is why if I go to the expense and trouble of planting seedlings I will put cages around them.

500 to 1500 a year. Depending on cash flow.

Mainly spruce, a variety of maples, and flowering pears/plums.

I have a tree spade and sell a few of them, and put the money back into more trees. Should run out of property to plant by 2012. Then I'll go back and start filling in older rows.

Only thing, I would like to plant them randomly around. But for ease of tree spading them, I plant them in rows. I do move a few every year around to make it look more natural.

Rick

Since I grow trees for harvest I usually plant 1000 douglas fir or ponderosa pine seedlings just for maintenance purposes every year. If I have a harvest I'll plant around 4000. The last two years there has been no market for lumber so not much going on here.

My small grove (acre or 2???) has been reseeding itself quite well, the original grove the great grandparents planted on the prairie is mostly all dead & gone, think we are on the 3rd generation of regrowth. Lot of maple, box elder, ash, some elm still trying, a few cedar, ironwood, hackberry and black walnut. Pine & conifers don't like this clay soil much, I planted a couple blue spruce in the yard that are going along well, one is coning now, see if the squirrels put any seeds in the grove....

--->Paul

Used to... but was only getting survival rates in the single percents. Don't get them from the local USDA program any more.

I have no idea how many many trees, but at my farms in North Dakota I, or rather SCS, have planted about 9 linear miles of field wind breaks and shelterbelts over the last 5 years. I hand transplant 200 to 400 a year, replacing trees that didn't make it.

This is a very good post by you as always. I've been thinking of the planting a few trees myself this year although I don't have the acreage like most folks I've been digging through magazines to get some ideas. I'm trying to watch the zones, their longevity and time to maturity which is important when you don't have 35 to 40 years to go.:-<

God Bless anyone who plants trees! I never had any land to speak of but I always planted trees! Even if you have a small yoad plant ONE! your house will be cooler and look better too! Just an old man's 2C...Charles

Don,I think your good for 40 more,just my take on it.I need to email you too.Thanks for the kind words,but really,I do it cause then everyone talks about something I want too!! hehe.Just kidden,but makes me this snow moving machine smile!
I LOVE TREES

North Dakota here too Scott.
You have planted a bunch of trees.Glad to hear that.

I try to plant a couple hundred every year, pines mostly but I planted about 2500 acorns last fall,hope they grow.

Yep, a bunch through Continous Signup CRP and others through EQIP shelterbelt renovation. Plus I put them in every odd corner of the farm that the cows or drills can't get to. I have 3 more miles to plant. The folks at the county SCS and the nurserys at Towner and LincolnOakes have been great. This is in the SW corner of the state. The common occurrence of drouth and huge herds of deer and rabbits and the fact I live in Northern California, fly back 4 or 5 times a year so I can't always deal with the weeds in a timely manner make it a challenge.

Planted, seems like couple hundred. All fall to deer or flooding. Sorry maybe 20 survivors I forgot about mostly pine and blue spruce. Power company took a few. Have to fight them off every year or so. Tried to tell them-job security. Let my trees be for their retirement. They don't listen a bit. Got all my shade maples.

14,000 in 2005, 2000-4000 every year to replace the ones I fed to the deer, rabbits and mice...

Some of the Spruce seedlings planted in 2005 are 9 feet tall! Some of the red oak look like shrubs from all the deer browsing.......

Tim

I planted a bunch of pine trees about thirty years ago and most of them made it. Now with all of the deer around to even plant an apple tree you have to make a cage around it until the lower branches are out of reach.

It's been a real long time since I planted very many. Today I cut down a European Larch that I planted as part of a 4-H project when I was in fourth grade, 1957. I got two sixteen foot logs, one twelve footer and several three foot sticks of sugar wood. I will get the logs sawed out for a wagon bed in the spring.

I originally planted five hundred of them on this site. I need to count the survivors and see how many are left. They have self seeded around the edges and the seedlings are some of them twelve feet tall.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back