What about a John Deere M for homeowner use

scott1953

I know little about tractors. Been getting some very helpful advice on the Farmall forum where I was advised that it makes sense to replace my little garden tractor with a real tractor...like a farmall super a...but...

I ran across a JD M near me. Advertised as completely refurbished, engine rebuilt, repainted....for $3k. but no attachments or hitch.

I just want a pull behind finish mower to cut the grass and a snow plow, and of course the other odd job that will be doable cause I have a tractor. So the questions are as follows

Is there an issue with the 3 point hitches for this model JD? i see 3 point conversion kits...but what am I converting from...googled it but I'm still unclear on that.
Are JD attachments super expensive,
Are parts extra expensive?

Any thoughts you have on how the M could work for me are much appreciated. Maybe overkill? well hopefully a little overkill...that's what makes it fun.

Thanks again.

We use "Sparky", <a href="http://youtu.be/CLVwEDdD4XI">a JD 51M and BushHog ATH 600 (5 foot) finishing mower</a>, for the both the front and back yard.

The one in the photo below is a 6 foot mower that is now on our 52A.

IMG_1683.jpg" width="650"

Here is <a href="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/jameslloydhowell/library/John%20Deere%20Equipment/3%20Point%20Hitches/MT%20Hitches?sort=3&page=1">a link to photos of the "homemade" 3pt hitches</a> that we had built for "Mac", "Rusty", and "Sam" our three 51MTs.

The hitch from the 51M was used as a "pattern".

The average cost of each one was about $125.

We have not bought any implements for our 51M tractor.

Parts are expensive when ordered from John Deere; the majority of parts we get from eBay or other aftermarket suppliers.

Be sure to match the HP requirements of the finishing mower to the HP of the tractor.

The 6ft mower was a little too much for the 51M; the 5ft mower works just fine.

We also use "Audie", our 54 Model 40S, with a BushHog FTH 600 (5 foot) finishing mower.

a156306.jpg" width="650"

Hope this helps.

I have collected lots of M and MT implements over the last few
years. The hitch on the M series is not a 3 point. Like James
said you need to add a conversion kit. I have 2 one bottom
plows, 2 two bottom plows, snow plow, cultivator and a sickle
bar mower for my MT. The implements are usually in the
$100-$500 range. I got two of my land plows for $50 each.
The snow plow will be the hardest to find and most pricey. I
had to buy three to make one and spent well over $500 by the
time I was done. It's a very hand tractor to have around but
like a Super A is not 3 point hitch ready and will be a bit low on
power for any new implement over 5 feet.

I wouldn't say the advice from the Farmall forum was necessarily all that helpful - not that I'm against Farmalls, own one myself, a Super C, but I wouldn't consider using it on my 3-acre lot - no more than I would use my JD H nor MT. You don't say how much area you're caring for, but most likely you'd be much better off with a lawn/garden tractor that has a hydro transmission and that is in the 20+ hp range - or a compact utility tractor in the same power range. Parts and implements are much more available. It's hard to get on and off an M. My JD 855 will work circles around a JD M and the front end loader, belly mower, front-mount snow blower, rear blade, 3-point pto sprayer, and roto-tiller were readily available for it. It also has a standard 3-point hitch so lots of other things will go right on it. Parts are available. Also the front wheel drive is very useful

I'm going to second what Leon has said. I recently bought a JD 2520 compact tractor and is surprising what it will do. They are basically a lawn tractor on steroids. Mine came with a loader, belly mower and snow blade. Attachments are easy to come by and you don't have to buy them from a John Deere dealer either. That all being said they are not a real tractor that will stand up to heavy duty work either.

An M will handle those chores easily.

It came with a quick tach hitch that is basicly a single point pull with a balance support.

The bolt on conversion kits allow you to use any original equipment as well as any standard three point equipment.

The swing arm conversion eliminates the orig hitch completely so all you can use is standard three point stuff.

Parts are no more expensive than anything else and most anything you need is available from the dealer, ebay, or websites like this one.

I had one 15 years ago.... bought it at a local auction. Used it with a 5' rotary mower (not a finishing mower but same hook-up) to mow 4 acres of weeds and natural pasture. The M worked just fine. Sold it later on the buy a model 420, which was a much better tractor for the jobs around the place.
Get ready to spend quite a bit of money on the 3 point kit and the mower.

Correct me if I'm wrong Scott, but I'm thinking the question is more: "Can I justify buying a nice old tractor if I mow my lawn with it".

Correct?

It sounds like you're not so much looking for something that's superior in utility value to a garden tractor, but are willing to forgo a few modern advancements to have something cool to play with.

I'm just trying to frame your question differently because I think it's being misunderstood here.

I apologize if I'm wrong.

I think either a cub, a super A, or a JD M are all good choices for what you're looking to do.

Yes, they're all overkill/inappropriate if you're just looking for the best way to mow your lawn. But if your main goal is to justify an old tractor - they're not overkill at all, they're just right.

Around here in MA - most guys looking to do that go with the cubs. Go visit Village Power in Berlin, they specialize in cubs with most of their customers doing exactly what you're doing. They've got a yard full of tractors and implements.

Unfortunately though - the cubs tend to go for a premium just BECAUSE so many homeowners want them for that purpose.

You can buy a cub in farm country for half to 1/3 of what it sells for around here.

I've said this on the IH board, but I'll repeat, no matter which tractor you decide on, keep your eyes open for tractors that come with the implements you want. It's almost always a LOT cheaper that way.

One thing I'll say on the M/40/420's - they are hard to get on and off! Maybe when you use them a lot you find a trick to it? Might sound insignificant now, but keep it in mind if you try one out.

I used my M a lot several years ago I made my own 3 point quick hitch setup and it handled every 5 foot implement just fine. Seemed to have more power then the diesel compact JD4100 model and never did measure it but seemed like the M took less fuel to do the same job ? I bet the hydro of the 4100 zapped the power. I am spoiled by the newer tractors so the M just sits in storage. Yard was getting to show ruts from the heavier M too. I now mow with a JD F725 front mount mower way handier for the obstical coarse called my yard. And I remove snow with a walk behind MTD snow blower on tracks.

I have managed to collect a lot of the implements for the M. As stated they can bring a good $$$. I have the folowing:
M1 plow
M2 plow qty 2
M2A plow qty 2
M3B plow qty 2
M5 Tool Bar w/ middle buster
M5 tool bar w/ field cultivator qty 2
M6 disc plow
M10 cultivator
M10A cultivator
M20a belly mount mower
M32 snow plow
M51 rear mount mower
M100 cultivator qty 2
#100B one row planter for the M100 cultivator
M113 Spring tooth harrow
M404 Killefer disc

"Mr. JR Sutton,"
You are correct in stating that the Ms are difficult to get on and off.
The 40,420,430 series tractors were some of the easiest to mount and dismount.
This could be a topic of the tractors that were hard to get on and off, and some of the easiest.

You found the 420 to be the easiest to get on and off???

Then I'm probably confusing the M with the 420 - a friend of mine had both, but sold the 420 a while ago - might actually have been a 430.

He's got so many tractors I can't keep them all straight.

So I'm probably mentally lumping them together.

Which ever one it was - call it the M - you almost need a crane to lift you up and lower you into it.

So Tim I guess the M I purchased 3 years ago
with all the wheel weights & M1 plow M51 Mower
& M32 snow plow,& M100 Cultivator"s & M404 Disc
M113 Tool bar & a 3pth kit & 2 Sets of tire
chains one field, one road for 450.00 was a
steel? ( Wink)

If your are going to mow, get you a 420/430 S, U, or W with live PTO (2 stage clutch) & a PTO to belt drive mower like a Woods RM372, no gear box mower as the belt absorbs the power pulses of the 2 cylinder engine.

I tried to give him more money he WOULD NOT
take it.. He 1st said 200.00 for just the
tractor. ( WHICH HE OWNED ) I said it's worth
more than that. I said 450.00 for the tractor
that didn't run. He said well for that much
more he threw in everything else + 2 box's of
replacement service parts for the mower &
tractor. He wouldn't accept any more Money. Gave
me all the service manuals for each piece except
for the 51M. He couldn't find, will send it to
me he finds it. I put about 300.00 in the engine
& new battery. Runs like a top. It hauls all my
fire wood, I don't need it, but I'm glad I have
it. Currently have 7 other Deere's.. When the
day comes when I decide to paint it, it's hard
to use it for work anymore. All my machines I
use for work or farm if I don't use it, I won't
own it....

I forgot to mention, I also have another M2 plow with slat boards. I also use most of my John Deere's on the farm...there are 14 of them. Anything ranging from a 1936 AR to a 1978 4240

Plowed an acre yesterday with my MT and getting on and off to pick stones was the only part that sucked. I'm 31 and have fallen off while trying to get on once. Wet or muddy boots make it a challenge.
a156351.jpg

(quoted from post at 06:38:37 05/07/14) Correct me if I'm wrong Scott, but I'm thinking the question is more: "Can I justify buying a nice old tractor if I mow my lawn with it".

Correct?

JR, you are so correct. I didn't realize that myself until I read your post! That is indeed the real question.

I do want a cool old tractor to play with and learn about and just enjoy...that can clear the driveway and mow. And won't be too expensive and that I could sell at some point with out losing too much.

That's why I was having so much trouble with this decision....it didn't make 1oo% practical sense for my little property, as pointed out by some..so true ....but all I need is 25% practical and 75% fun.

Thanks for clearing that up. And thanks to everyone for their input.

The JD M I mentioned has no implements nor a 3 pt hitch....so I see, it could get expensive. So I''m off to look at a FarmAll SA with the weights, chains a carryall and snowplow and the 3 pt hitch. Asking $2650. New Ag tires in rear not turf.

Also I plan to be in Charlton this Saturday, would v much like to take you up on your offer...not sure how to email you. Must be an easy way, will check

Cheers

The 420,430 tractors are mostly wore out and have bad tranny's.Other than that there overpriced by collectors.There also money pits and require constant maintenance.Might as well buy a Kubota with a loader,ps and hydrostatic drive.

oh - I have to turn my email on with each comment
in order for you to be able email me from here.

So I'll turn it on for this one -

unfortunately I just found out I'm going to be at
a funeral this saturday - 10am - but then the
burial - then a get together afterwards... could
get up to about 3:00 - ish. Not sure if that'd
be too late - but either way- email me.

Respond to this replay if it doesn't work -

Do you like a challenge or just want a tractor to jump onto and do yard work?
A "M" is a challenge. If you want a two cylinder Dubuque. Try a slant steer 420 or a 430 with live pto.

Hi JR, Sorry of delay in gettng back to you. The timing is just off on this, I have to be in Charlton around 3:00, visiting my parents...the mothers day family thing.

But thanks so much for the offer and guidance.

Scott

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back