What good is the screen inside my new gas and diesel can

Geo-TH,In

cvphoto142435.jpg

The screen filters the fuel before it gets inside the can.
I can't remove the screen. So when I
dump the diesel in my Kubota I use a funnel with a screen.
The dirt trapped by the screen inside the can ends up in the funny scene.
Hello what good is the screen inside the can if I can't remove the screen before I empty the fuel?

I do my best to keep dirt out of my fuel,
Yet the screen in my metal funnel provides otherwise.
I also bought a new spout for gas cans at RK that has a screen filter built in.

What good is the gas can filter?
Can you remove the filter?

It could happen a person could keep the gas can someplace dirty where when the take the cap off some dirt falls into the can. The screen would prevent that however it should be removable so someone could clean it. Otherwise when you pour the fuel in the tractor if you didn't use a screen the dirt would go right into the tank. I wouldn't like having the screen there. It would make it cumbersome filling the can.

Very simple it takes less then 30 seconds to drop a piece of rust/dirt etc into a gas can as your filling it

Dumb and incoherent designers loose in the world. (it would be gone on my can if I owned it.) Putting debris where it can't be removed unless the fuel were dispensed is like flipping over an air filter because it was clean on the engine side!! Jim

The screen is not for filtering. It is for a smooth steady flow. If you cut the screen out it will go glug-glug-glug and slop and splash ... just like any other can you ever dumped anything out of. Its not a China thing, go find the oldest Eagle safety can that you are able; it will have a screen in it. Except it will be brass and held in with a snap ring. There might be something to the anti -flash back comment also.

Without a vent, its still going to glug, glug, glug. I have one with filter also and it probably takes 3 or more minutes holding the jug to empty it.
I finally bought a little pump with 10 hose and it makes filling tanks a lot easier.

The screen IS the vent... they dont glug unless you invert the can... thats why they pour dismally slow. The pouring characteristics may not be the primary reason for the screen, but it certainly makes a difference.

Maybe I missed an answer to this question George. So far in using it, have you found dirt or debris trapped in the screen?

Like Jim said, it's probably there as a flame arrestor. Take it out! I have funnels with fine screens, but they make it easy to run the tank over if your not careful. Most of my equipment has good filters in the fuel lines.

No problem filling the can with the screen.
I think the screen is stupid.
I have no problem using the majority of my can that don't have screens.

I have one of those silly cans I use for my two cycle mix. The can is made so it vents through the spout. When I'm working at the cemetery and try to fill the weed eater all that pressure is released into that small tank all at once. Causes a fuel fountain spraying all over. I fixed that problem by drilling a hole in the can and adding a radiator drain cock for a vent.

After I added the drain cock my sister showed me you can buy plastic vents on amazon for gas cans.

(quoted from post at 15:11:16 12/09/22) The purpose of the screens is to give old men something to complain about instead of politics. They were designed by the wives of these old men.
HyabXyu.jpg

Just knock in inside and other than hearing it rattle when the can is empty, forget it. Another design by people who have no idea as to how the real world operates.

While the can is still vertical, prior to filling, depress the nozzle to let out the pressure then use as designed.

I have those silly screens in a couple of my cans. They slow down thing at the pump because they can't handle the volume that is being pumped into it. If I'm not careful they cause a spill. Going to remove mine.

Geo,

The screen should be in the spout.
Get some two cycle exhaust screen.

I was given some years back. Got more that I need in a life time, and I can send you some?

I think it's stainless

Guido.
cvphoto142451.jpg

It just didn't look like you could insert the nozzle all the way at the gas pump. It seems to me everything made this century is designed by a nitwit. Fortunately I don't buy gas cans, I recycle lacquer thinner containers to get fuel in.

I have 2 solutions for you all with fuel/gas cans.1 Sell all your powered equipment and hire it done. 2 Just buy bulk and don't use cans drain or pump from tanks with a filter in the line. Both problems solved.

It is not a filter, and it does not belong in the spout. The screen is "a special internal flame mitigation device". Just check out the Midwest Can website. Eagle and a number of other manufacturers have had similar "screens" in metal cans for years, along with the spring-loaded safety handles and no vents. Removing or disabling either can be a citation offense with OSHA. I hate them as well but had to live with them at work.

mvphoto100064.jpg

(quoted from post at 18:54:45 12/09/22) It is not a filter, and it does not belong in the spout. The screen is "a special internal flame mitigation device". Just check out the Midwest Can website. Eagle and a number of other manufacturers have had similar "screens" in metal cans for years, along with the spring-loaded safety handles and no vents. Removing or disabling either can be a citation offense with OSHA. I hate them as well but had to live with them at work.

mvphoto100064.jpg

Don't confuse the issue by stating facts. :shock: :shock:

The masses here will not listen to it. :roll: :roll:

Same thing on a couple 5 gallon diesel cans. Have to slooowly fill them at pump. I just own a few acres and fill cans at local gas station.

If anti-flashback it reminds me of a spark arrestor on a two-stroke dirt bike. More likely to start a forest fire by the rider smoking a cigarette than backfire or anything from the exhaust. In my opinion.

Ken

I'am pretty sure with your vast knowledge on a multitude of subjects, you already know the answer. You did get the pot stirring you where after.

George, I bought one of those cans a couple years ago and soaked myself good trying to fill it at the pump. I took the can home and got a big screwdriver and heave needle nose pliers and pulled that screen out. Then I gutted the stupid auto shutoff spout and went and bought a real functional spout with the pop in vent(drill 3/8 hole) and then I had a mighty fine gas can. I can only guess the company that makes these get their engineers from a mental institution.

Not sure about the screen but I will say that I have spilled more gas with these new safety cans than I ever did with all the old cans put together.

I never thought about wiping before I took a dump.
That's something I'll never forget.

4520BW ..... sounds to me like you have some experience doing that. How does it work? Just a simple answer if you reply no need for details.

..................Eagle and a number of other manufacturers have had similar screens in metal cans for years............... Note the can's
materal...metal....a conductor. A metal can sitting on the ground pumping a good volume of gas generating static electricity,
nozzle touches the can and BOOM!

(quoted from post at 11:27:14 12/10/22) I use this type of can at work and I love them. Works great for top filling tanks. However it would probably not work well if the gas cap is on the side like a truck.
No spill gas can.

.................. and you make it a better can by installing a steel tire valve stem with the core removed as a vent.

It makes fuel slosh out and the handle click repeatedly at a filling station.

It plugs up with diesel at about 5 below zero so you cant get any emergency heating fuel for your furnace. A real issue I had to deal with.

Terrible thing.

Typical of govt mandates.

Fuel vapors burn, so as a fire suppression it helps what, .01% of the cases?

Costs more.

We live in stupidity.

Paul

An old guy i work with at the deere dealer i work at thru collage would say that as well.as 100s of other sayings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back