What's the purpose of the 8n flip up seat?

(quoted from post at 13:56:24 02/01/23) At the time those seats came out the tractor owner though too much about his tractor to ever let then set outAfter the war when you had to go to the goverment and ask permission to buy a tractor And wait possible a year for a tractor to come in and if it was the Ford and a JD came in you either had to take it or be dropped to bottom of waiting list so the buyers took care of their tractors by not letting them set out. That letting them set out did not come till later.
K, OK, then.....it was to keep the bird & chicken sheet off the seat!!!

On a hot summer day, when you park in the sun and get off for a few minutes and forget to put the seat up, that puppy gets HOT.

Dad bought that for on the 2N as soon as were avaible for the
simple fact that fliping it up made it easier for him to get
on and off. If we had it up for use when done and parked
tractor put seat down so would be ready for use next time we
wanted to use tractor. It was just a way to stretch your legs
when out working a 10 hour day on the tractor. At that time
nobody left tractor outside over night. That only started
hapening when they became older and later buyers wanted a
throw away tractor and did not care how the tractor looked or
ran.

That's what I was really after - what the _original_ idea for it was, not necessarily what people use it for now. While mine stays outside 24/7/365 now, that's only because I don't have anywhere else to put it, and being in the Arizona desert weather isn't really much of an issue anyways. It's gonna be stupid cold or God awful hot in the morning, depending on time of year, whether it's inside or not :lol:.

The animals droppings didn't seem like much of a reason, considering the rest of the thing is gonna be covered too, and if my hands are gonna be swimming in the poo on the steering wheel, I'm probably not all that concerned about sitting in it.

Rain doesn't collect in the pan, given the holes punched in it...

Room for standing does make the most sense, I just never had the reason to stand much on it to realize it before.

I have tried driving with the seat up but there was still not enough room. Even though there are holes in the seat, there will still be plenty enough water to get my pants wet after a rain, so that is, for me, the reason for the flip up seat. Call it as you see it.

I know after the war civilian population was put on a waiting list for farm equipment while production was changing from war time back over to peace time products
Returning military were given fist option to purchase one new tractor, dad used his military option to order a new 20 Ferguson, that's what he ordered and that's what he got, I can not say if civilians had an option on what brand they received.

As for inside or outside storage I find your statement a little offensive. For those that had a shed or barn prier to the war or could afford to build one after, I'm glad for them.
My dad and many many farmers in my area did not have a building they could park a tractor in nor could they afford a extra building just for said storage, if there was a spare spot for storage most of the farmers that parked their tractor there didn't own a square baler
Dads tractors set out and I can tell you they were not throw away tractors and were kept in top running condition, he did build a small 24x24 work shop/tobacco striping building for maintenance and repair of our equipment and neighbors that brought their sometimes stored tractors over for us to work on

I have a 3 bay shed that houses my round baler, square baler and two tractors, the other five tractors will set out until that new larger shed on my list is built, unfortunatly a second hay barn and finishing up the cattle handling facility are higher up the list than the shed

(quoted from post at 15:43:09 02/03/23)
I know after the war civilian population was put on a waiting list for farm equipment while production was changing from war time back over to peace time products
Returning military were given fist option to purchase one new tractor, dad used his military option to order a new 20 Ferguson, that's what he ordered and that's what he got, I can not say if civilians had an option on what brand they received.

As for inside or outside storage I find your statement a little offensive. For those that had a shed or barn prier to the war or could afford to build one after, I'm glad for them.
My dad and many many farmers in my area did not have a building they could park a tractor in nor could they afford a extra building just for said storage, if there was a spare spot for storage most of the farmers that parked their tractor there didn't own a square baler
Dads tractors set out and I can tell you they were not throw away tractors and were kept in top running condition, he did build a small 24x24 work shop/tobacco striping building for maintenance and repair of our equipment and neighbors that brought their sometimes stored tractors over for us to work on

I have a 3 bay shed that houses my round baler, square baler and two tractors, the other five tractors will set out until that new larger shed on my list is built, unfortunatly a second hay barn and finishing up the cattle handling facility are higher up the list than the shed
on't let it bother you.....by now most know that he is only here to needle /bicker/criticize.

Every FARM did have a barn or grainery with drive the tractor and a wood wagon could be kept in. Not a single place without that. It was not untill later that the people with just a couple of acres started buying them and then letting them set out considering them a throwaway tractor as they were several years old and therefore not worth much.

Damn... Thought it was a simple question...had no idea it was going to upset people...

Sorry, won't bother you guys anymore with my stupid questions.

(quoted from post at 19:15:51 02/03/23) Every FARM did have a barn or grainery with drive the tractor and a wood wagon could be kept in. Not a single place without that. It was not untill later that the people with just a couple of acres started buying them and then letting them set out considering them a throwaway tractor as they were several years old and therefore not worth much.

Leroy, that is a very bold statement even for you. To make this statement and expect it to be accepted would require that you have personally inspected EVERY farm in the US during the time period that you have given to see that everyone has a suitable structure for storing a tractor. Not only that but you would have to confirm that none of these structures were being used to house something that was a lot more perishable than a tractor. Tractors thn and now were designed and built to withstand the weather, just as were and are our cars and trucks.

At that time Henry Ford did not think about weather or he
would have designed a different distribuator that would not
get wet from working in rain or snow. And making so many
problems for posters here on this site. And A farm could
not be a farm without a way to keep feed for the animals
and that ment a barn and I have never seen a barn that did
not have someplace to keep something like a tractor back in
the 30's, 40's or 50's. only pole barns to stack feed on
the ground came later. People that grew up in the depresion
knew the value of keeping things in good shape and
protecting them from the weather was part of keeping things
in good shape, at least in my part of the country. Other
parts may have different values. And I am guessiny this
will be my last post as I am tired of people saying I don't
know what I do know and grew up in.

(quoted from post at 23:54:22 02/03/23) Damn... Thought it was a simple question...had no idea it was going to upset people...

Sorry, won't bother you guys anymore with my stupid questions.

Your question was a perfectly acceptable one. I just didn't dream it would go on and on and on and...

I mean, it's just a metal A$$ pan. Sometimes you even see them hanging on walls for decorations !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back