Won't turnover- new battery, alternator, stater and solenoid

Is it possible my starter button is shorting out and needs replaced?

The tractor was running then wouldn't turnover. When I press the start button and it makes a click noise and my indicator light goes off. I installed a new alternator recently and it has an hour or drive time on it. The battery test strong (6 mos old). I just installed a new starter and solenoid.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

What tractor? what indicator light? I have always found that if the solenoid is clicking , I have a bad battery or bad cable connections to the battery. check both ends of both cables.

Ford 8n ('51?)

I've had the battery tested and it is good; however, the battery cable could possibly be bad as you suggested. I have been thinking of replacing them.

(quoted from post at 10:21:26 12/27/17) Oh, by indicator light I mean that I have a light that comes on with the turn of the key and goes out after starting.

All the stitch does is provide a ground. I have started mine with a screwdriver by shorting out the wire where it attaches to the switch. that would tell you if the switch is bad.
It really does not take much corrosion on the battery posts to reduce current flow. or corrosion where the ground strap or cable bolts to the frame.

The solenoid is making a noise because of low voltage. That is likely caused
by:

1. A weak battery (charge it & check it per tip # 49. Or get it load tested.)* It does not matter if the battery is 6 months or six days old; unless you test it, it could be bad.

2. Dirty grounds/connections (remove the cables & clean the connections)

3. Bad cables or incorrect sized cables (replace them - see tip # 41)**

4. Bad ground between the starter & the block. (pull the starter away from the block & clean the mating area - see tip # 36)

* No matter what else you do, the battery must be fully charged. A float charger is helpful; not a trickle charger, but a float charger. (I use Battery Tenders on all my tractors) If you need to jump it, see tip # 43.

** You can't see corrosion under the insulation.
75 Tips

X2 on Bruce`s suggestion #4...

I once heavily painted a new starter before installing...It didn`t make a good ground, and it took a lot of time to figure out what was wrong.

It was a bad pos (+) battery cable going to the solenoid. When I would touch the cable at the battery it would flicker the indicator light I installed. So I think the battery cable was shorting out.

This has been a great day for learning all this stuff. Thanks everyone for helping. And I learned or and bookmarked the "50 Tips" page.

Glad you got it fixed. It always gives a sense of satisfaction when you win

For what it's worth...just a technicality....you did not have a "short", you had an "open". A "short" is when you have a conducting path where there should not be one. An "open" is when you do not have a conducting path where there should be one. An "in betweener" is a "leaky" circuit.

I worked in TV repair back in my working days. Most of the customers, when they phoned in for a service call already had it diagnosed..."I think it's got a short somewhere!" So you are in good company

Like you said, each day is an opportunity to learn.

(quoted from post at 02:42:52 12/28/17) It was a bad pos (+) battery cable going to the solenoid. When I would touch the cable at the battery it would flicker the indicator light I installed. So I think the battery cable was shorting out.

This has been a great day for learning all this stuff. Thanks everyone for helping. And I learned or and bookmarked the "50 Tips" page.

You did not learn anything you got lucky lucks not bad but you are in the same boat as the others you got lucky...

(quoted from post at 20:39:48 12/27/17)
(quoted from post at 02:42:52 12/28/17) It was a bad pos (+) battery cable going to the solenoid. When I would touch the cable at the battery it would flicker the indicator light I installed. So I think the battery cable was shorting out.

You did not learn anything you got lucky lucks not bad but you are in the same boat as the others you got lucky...

If one lives long enough, luck turns into knowledge.

(quoted from post at 08:48:24 12/28/17)

Yes I read you reply you poked at it till you got lucky so lets call it lucky knowledge. I like luck I run across it from time to time and hope I don't use all my luck up at once and run out of luck for the day, week are year.

You are missing real knowledge the issue could be found without removing a thing without poking at it with a screwdriver :cry: That's knowledge, knowledge you can verify after you have used up all your luck. Whats the next step when you have ran out of luck.

(quoted from post at 07:01:12 12/28/17)

Yes I read you reply you poked at it till you got lucky so lets call it lucky knowledge. I like luck I run across it from time to time and hope I don't use all my luck up at once and run out of luck for the day, week are year.

You are missing real knowledge the issue could be found without removing a thing without poking at it with a screwdriver :cry: That's knowledge, knowledge you can verify after you have used up all your luck. Whats the next step when you have ran out of luck.

Using a screw drive to short out the wire was not luck, it was the knowledge that all the switch does is provide a ground for the circuit.

Don't confuse yourself, don't poke fun at people, share your knowledge.

(quoted from post at 22:03:43 12/28/17)
(quoted from post at 07:01:12 12/28/17)

Using a screw drive to short out the wire was not luck, it was the knowledge that all the switch does is provide a ground for the circuit.

Don't confuse yourself, don't poke fun at people, share your knowledge.

It is luck Whats the next step when you have ran out of luck.
The circuits can be diagnosed no luck involved... Poking at it removing parts and shinning them up proves you are chasing luck...

SV, you don't want your tractor to turn over. It is hard on the sheet metal, the steering wheel and the driver. What you want it to do is crank and then start and run.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back