Work boots sound off

Old560

Ok its time for new work boots. Ive been with red wing for 25 years and I think the quality has gone down and the price up. So now Im looking around which I hate. Ive always had lace up I dont think a slip on would fit tight enough. Should be safety toe. What all brands and models do you all wear? I hate spending money on this.

Dad used to spend $200 a pair on the Red Wings, then went with $30 Walmart boots. The Red Wings didn't last 7 years but the Walmart boots lasted more than a year.

He'd wear the Redwings until they fell apart. The Walmarts he could afford to replace well before they got that bad.

I bought a $135 pair of Carolina boots. Barely two years old and I wasn't wearing them much more than about 4-6 hours a week, and the sole separated.

Have bought WalMart stuff in the past but they stopped making the style I prefer.
Current pair is from Shoes for Crews, lightweight composite toe. Very comfortable. Wear every day at work in the refinery and they've been holding up for around 3 years now. Have another pair from them that I wear around the place that are looking ratty but basically sound after 4 years.
Son bought a pair of Carolinas and they were the crappiest boots ever, the nails came through the heels and were poking him after less than 6 months. I will never buy a pair after that....

Someone on the forum recommended Thorogood work boots, I bought some. Pricey but I love them. Made in the USA as well.

Stick with the Red wing model you've been wearing, I wore 9113 Pecos pull on, nothing else will fit the same. They still make some Red Wings in this country, but the imports in extra wide are more like the old D width and don't last. I got measured for a pair of 899's a few years ago and they were made in this country. They are the most uncomfortable boots and I just can't wear them enough to get them broke in. I bought another pair of old stock 9113 Pecos Red Wings and after a few days they were a comfortable fit.

Mills Farm stores, and many others sell Caterpillar branded Wolverine made shoes. The Liberty model is made in USA. Other models are of world wide manufacture. They are tough I would at least give their price point a look. Jim

As one who pretty much lost the use of a foot/ankle due to an accident where good-fitting high top work boots would have helped, I don't understand why you hate spending money on quality boots. Please don't take the ability to walk for granted.

(quoted from post at 11:23:57 11/21/21) As one who pretty much lost the use of a foot/ankle due to an accident where good-fitting high top work boots would have helped, I don't understand why you hate spending money on quality boots. Please don't take the ability to walk for granted.
No one said anything close to that.

Only boots I wear are the Red Wing Pecos, they are Made in USA but not all Red Wings are. Bought a new pair 2 weeks ago $269 but they gave a 15% Vet discount

Son swears by Red Wing logger type. I wore WalMart zipper type Interceptors, they used to last 6 months to a year.
I switched when the soles of those boots cracked in under thirty days. Have a pair of Lowa boots on deck. They aren't cheap
but when I tried them on they felt like they were custom made for me.

I used to wear redwings too. Current boots are Danner. Not made in USA, but are a year and a half old and get worn daily. Only complaint is that they were never waterproof like they are supposed to be even when new.

Brother is required to wear steel toe at his work. Because of this, they get some shoe allowance money. X amount of $'s per year. But that's messed up, because in order to get credited the allowance money, they have to buy shoes from a certain place (local store/outlet). He's kind of caught in a catch 22, because he don't like the shoes from there, and the WalMart cheapies don't last.
I'm not required to wear steel toed. I wear a lace up work shoe, with just a touch of a heel in the sole. I always had trouble with lace up boots. The tightness of the laces always pulled the side walls apart at the soul, or the heel would start ripping off from the back of the boot. Now grant it, some of this is probably caused by my narrow foot, which they don't seem to accommodate for in sizes anymore. But alot of it is from quality of construction. I have had trouble with boots that were right out of the box.

I have worn Red Wing pecos boots for over 50 years some of them were seconds as I live within 30 miles of Red Wing. Get new boots put them on stand in water until they are soaked clear thru, then wear them until they are dry and they will conform to your foot, and be comfortable.

Pete

I have been wearing Wolverine. I like the feel and they wear well. The last time I got some Ariat. They are really comfortable.

I wore Redwings for years but went to Skechers Seargents Verdict. Last pair was $80 at Fleet Farm. They are light, have a really well padded bottom, are nearly waterproof, and have held up really well.The sole shows no wear even after 1 1/2 years of daily wear. I ordered another pair a while back online and the size I had originally was a perfect fit with the second pair. Only shoe I have ever had that didn't need a break-in period to feel comfortable. Made in Vietnam from water buffalo hide.

I've always worn wolverine work boots since I was a kid on the farm, Just bought a new pair for $120. Neighbor used to kid me about paying twice the amount he was paying but he bought twice the sets of shoes. Shoes are one of those things you get what you pay for.

Pete ..... you said .... stand in water until they are soaked clear thru, then wear them until they are dry ...... taking them off for bed time though right?

I was looking for a pair of Wolverine boots, a few weeks ago, most places were out the size I needed. I think most of Wolverine boots are waiting to be unloaded form the ships, off the coast of ca. Stan

I used to faithfully wear Redwings or Wolverine Durashocks until they both got the habit of the bottom of the soles would have already split open at the toe joint and leak terrible. Granted I wear them everywhere and am not kind to them. My wife found a website that has Caterpillar brand shoes online. They have been the best toughest wearing work shoes I've ever had and price is usually cheaper or equal to other namebrands.

in the past I was a long time wearer of Wolverine Dura Shocks. They wore good on the outside but my big to would wear on the lining into the steel toe and the insides would wear out. Could ruin a pair of socks in just a couple wearings. Then I found Thoroughgood good American made boot and I was pretty happy with them but they kind of wore on the inside too. Currently on my 3rd pair of Red Wings that have a wider toe box and have been very happy with them, I dont seem to wear out the inside hardly at all. My vote would be Red Wing or Thoroughgood. These are all 8 lace up boots.

I'm hard on boots and rarely get 2 years out of any brand of work boot.
If you've ever had a cow step on your foot you'll know why I wear safety toe boots.
During the summer and dry part of the fall I wear the cheap Herman Survivor boots from Walmart, cost about $60 and will last one season
During wet weather months I wear Red Wing 2414's that have a Gore-tex liner to keep my feet dry
When temps drop below freezing I have a pair of Cabelas insulated Gortex lined hunting boots to keep my feet warm and dry

I have worn Red Wings since 1975. Got my last pair in Oct last year. Had them two months and into the trash. Not what they use to be.

(quoted from post at 08:23:57 11/21/21) As one who pretty much lost the use of a foot/ankle due to an accident where good-fitting high top work boots would have helped, I don't understand why you hate spending money on quality boots. Please don't take the ability to walk for granted.

Nobody said that. The objection was to the boots being made OVERSEAS and the LACKING QUALITY.

This post was edited by BarnyardEngineering on 11/21/2021 at 10:49 am.

(quoted from post at 08:41:49 11/21/21)I'm not required to wear steel toed. I wear a lace up work shoe, with just a touch of a heel in the sole. I always had trouble with lace up boots. The tightness of the laces always pulled the side walls apart at the soul, or the heel would start ripping off from the back of the boot. Now grant it, some of this is probably caused by my narrow foot, which they don't seem to accommodate for in sizes anymore. But alot of it is from quality of construction. I have had trouble with boots that were right out of the box.

Check out Nick's Boots. Custom made to fit your feet.

Ah the age old work boot , what to buy . myself personally have always had a problem finding a boot that would fit due to my narrow feet . For a lo0ng while i was buying Masons and was getting fantastic life out of them and the FIT and were long day comfortable . That was back when they were still made in Wisc. When i ordered in the NEW pair of the same model Number when they arrived i knew something was up as the box did not look the same and even with out the markings it reaked CHINA . The boots were missing the insoles and when i called to inquire about the missing insoles the lady on the other end of the phone line was vary snippy and told me that i could find insoles at any DRUG STORE and hug up . I probably should have sent them back but my toes were hanging out of the other ones . I went and bought a set of insoles and wore them till they started to fall apart three months later . So once again i needed BOOTS NOW and i bought a pair at Toys shoes and candy , they were wolferien (sp) , Water proof , 400 grams thinslate (sp) and did not weigh a ton and somewhat fit . Those lasted four years of hyd oil/ diesel fuel/ gas/ mud / rain / and cow manure . I was somewhat pleased so when they went south i went back and grabbed another pair that looked just like they did . Those were NOT the same BOOT they were not water proof , they were not insulated and the stitching was coming out of them in three months . I had them restitched and wore them out . Went to Charm Ohio to the Amishman's and bought a pair of Chipawa's here two years ago and they are great when it gets cold but not so once the temps get up . i also have enjoyed COLD feet since i was a kid with this pair and my one pair for sever winter weather i can last about four hours out . The one pair of rocky's i bought for deer hunting they also keep my feet warm BUT the soles are vary slippery even on frozen dirt let lone snow and ice and i have several times seen my feet higher then my head not a good thing when carrying a loaded gun left lone the fact that i am at that age of help i have fallen and can't get up. BUT I FIXED them after the last head over heels fall on ice . I bought a box of 100 stainless sheet metal screws and i drilled the soles and heals for a tight fit and screwed in these little short screws then took a Dremal and ground sharp pointed stars in the heads . No more slippy sildie , just don't walk on floors . Bought a cheap pair of lase ups at Fin feather and FUR that i thought would be a nice summer boot as they were water proof and lighter then a tennie and they were on sale for 39.95 Yep they are light as a feather , yep they are water proof , BUT they will cook your feet in temps above fifty degrees . Use them as my fall boots and i did have to have them restitched here after a year and that cost 15 bucks . So what is a good boot ????????? you tell me . i only own boots and one old pair of tennies

I agree with Keen. With safety toes! I bought some Merrill boots, which were so comfortable that I was able to wear them all day, the first day I put them on. I went to replace them and ended up with Keen, which were also just as comfortable, and as durable. I had previously worn Red Wings, which always held up, but hard to break in. What really wears out for me is the support inside the shoes. And when it comes to your feet cost should be secondary-your feet and legs are important. And your back, too. Mark.

I just got a new pair of Globe Structural Fire fighter's boots. They are super comfortable and came in my 11W size. They are steel toed and shanked. Only $462.59.

I have never had any at home and luckily I still have all of my toes...For 26 years I was required to wear steel toe ones at work and they stood most of the cost..Right now I cant remember the brand but they sure weren't Red Wings.

Whites or Olathe . . I buy artiats or twisted x because my feet and legs are so crooked I ruin a pair of boots in 6 months no matter what they are . Really thinking of trying whites again

I wore HH for 20 years and was very happy. Unfortunately recently they quit making the ste I wore. New style is made in China, and are very uncomfortable. Quality is not the same. Have been looking for a replacement brand. Trying KEEN right now. They are comfortable, to early to tell how they will hold up.

I've bought several pairs of Instructables, they are lightweight steel toed, I think kevlar. They are not as warm as leather RWs but a lot cheaper. I also think RWs quality is not there.

It cost me $500.00 to find out Red Wings don't have enough arch support and I have found several others tell me the same.I have had good boots and cheap boots. For the last ten years I have been buying Carolinas. I get one year out of a pair of logger high tops steel toe. It costs about $90.00 to have them resoled and $130.00 for new ones,I buy new.

Thorogood boots $249
cvphoto108696.jpg

RedBack brand
Patrol model
made in Australia
I really didnt want to spend the $$$ for them, thought it was too much. my 5th pair in 10yrs is on order now.. and my feet dont hurt a 1/4 as much as they use to..

I've tried most of the brands mentioned here. With up until they quit making the the model I wore. Red Wings were my best fit. Did need to add an arch support but have to do that to all my shoes. I would go bare foot before I would own another pair of any wolverine junk shoe. Most places thing a C is a wide shoe. My red wings were a triple E Loved the wide roomy space in them. Most of those rice eater places think a 2 inch shoe is a wide. More like about 4 inches is getting close to a wide.

It is like everything else: Only john deere stuff is good.
Seriously, are john deere shoes as good as xolverine or caterpillar?

I wore Red Wing for decades. They got to where they just wouldn't last. Tried Justin, same thing. Won't last long. Tried Thorogood, didn't last long. Finally got a pair of Ariat. They have lasted over 2 years. They need replacing now. This is the longest a pair of work boots have lasted. I will stay with Ariat.

(quoted from post at 15:54:49 11/21/21)
(quoted from post at 08:41:49 11/21/21)I'm not required to wear steel toed. I wear a lace up work shoe, with just a touch of a heel in the sole. I always had trouble with lace up boots. The tightness of the laces always pulled the side walls apart at the soul, or the heel would start ripping off from the back of the boot. Now grant it, some of this is probably caused by my narrow foot, which they don't seem to accommodate for in sizes anymore. But alot of it is from quality of construction. I have had trouble with boots that were right out of the box.

Seriously? $600.00 boots?!!! I have trouble with my feet, I'd love a pair of boots that really fit, but $600? To each their own man.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a hard time finding boots that I can wear. Anything touching the top of my foot at the arch causes the arthritis to kick in and she swells up terribly. Right now, I wear old made in the USA LaCrosse duck shoes. The low one, or Dry Shods. The only other thing that fits is old USA made LaCrosse Wellingtons. The new chinese made LaCrosse dont fit the same. Can't even get my foot in a lace up boot anymore, sucks getting older.

Hoffman Boots. Mostly Lineman styles with double shanks but they do have a single shank called Ground Force. Made in USA! Great fit too and while not completely water proof, if you treat them with tehir dressing they will shed light rain and grass dampness. They also have a great quality pac boot. Have had mine for 5 yrs now. Granted i dont do every day heavy work with them but like you, my red wings i felt red wing wasnt holding up...esp after failing with in a year.

I'd throw my 2 cents in for Caterpillar also. Bought a pair made with all man-made materials, betting fitting and wearing boots I've ever owned. they're absolutely ragged and I refuse to throw them out.

(quoted from post at 06:35:27 11/22/21)

$600 investment in your feet, over the course of 20+ years, is worth every penny. That breaks down to $2.50 per month.

This post was edited by FrogCreekRanch on 11/22/2021 at 09:21 am.

(quoted from post at 14:18:37 11/22/21)

$600 investment in your feet, over the course of 20+ years, is worth every penny. That breaks down to $2.50 per month.

There will never, ever be a pair of leather boots that can take mud and manure for 20 years. Sorry friend, I've used every grease, wax and oil out there, the manure is guaranteed to eat the leather up. Even the mud here will suck the oils out of the leather and you'll have cracks in no time. I understand your logic, but it just isn't going to work for anyone that spends time in the muck and mud. I bet they're great boots though.

(quoted from post at 10:30:39 11/22/21)

There will never, ever be a pair of leather boots that can take mud and manure for 20 years. Sorry friend, I've used every grease, wax and oil out there, the manure is guaranteed to eat the leather up. Even the mud here will suck the oils out of the leather and you'll have cracks in no time. I understand your logic, but it just isn't going to work for anyone that spends time in the muck and mud. I bet they're great boots though.

I guess if you choose to stand in mud/manure all day it would wear out your boots faster. The point is that if you take good care of a good pair of boots, they will last you. If I was standing around in that muck all day I would get....well...Muck Boots.

My grandfather worked road construction his whole life and only had 2 pairs of White's boots in 40 years. My great-grandpa used his pair of White's on his farm and told me he got 25 years out of his. This was the reason I got them. We don't stand around in mud/manure all day in my neck of the woods. Sorry friend.

(quoted from post at 14:36:05 11/22/21)
(quoted from post at 10:30:39 11/22/21)

I guess if you choose to stand in mud/manure all day it would wear out your boots faster. The point is that if you take good care of a good pair of boots, they will last you. If I was standing around in that muck all day I would get....well...Muck Boots.

My grandfather worked road construction his whole life and only had 2 pairs of White's boots in 40 years. My great-grandpa used his pair of White's on his farm and told me he got 25 years out of his. This was the reason I got them. We don't stand around in mud/manure all day in my neck of the woods. Sorry friend.

That's great service, and I'm sure they're great boots. Just not going to work in some places. No leather boot will and Mucks/Dri shod won't last more than 2 years before cracking where the toe flexes for me.

I see there is a difference between what some folks consider "work boots" and what others do. I was thinking farm use.

(quoted from post at 10:30:39 11/22/21) There will never, ever be a pair of leather boots that can take mud and manure for 20 years. Sorry friend, I've used every grease, wax and oil out there, the manure is guaranteed to eat the leather up. Even the mud here will suck the oils out of the leather and you'll have cracks in no time. I understand your logic, but it just isn't going to work for anyone that spends time in the muck and mud. I bet they're great boots though.

Why would you ever, ever work all day in mud and manure in your good leather boots?

Around here that would get you fired for inappropriate footwear. You may as well show up in Jesus sandals.

For manure and muck, you better be wearing a Muck style boot (there are many knock-offs, I like the Itasca ones they have at TSC) or a rubber overshoe, just not that cheap Tingley junk. Get yourself a nice set of Lacrosse overshoes.

(quoted from post at 09:13:55 11/23/21)
(quoted from post at 10:30:39 11/22/21) There will never, ever be a pair of leather boots that can take mud and manure for 20 years. Sorry friend, I've used every grease, wax and oil out there, the manure is guaranteed to eat the leather up. Even the mud here will suck the oils out of the leather and you'll have cracks in no time. I understand your logic, but it just isn't going to work for anyone that spends time in the muck and mud. I bet they're great boots though.

Why would you ever, ever work all day in mud and manure in your good leather boots?

Around here that would get you fired for inappropriate footwear. You may as well show up in Jesus sandals.

For manure and muck, you better be wearing a Muck style boot (there are many knock-offs, I like the Itasca ones they have at TSC) or a rubber overshoe, just not that cheap Tingley junk. Get yourself a nice set of Lacrosse overshoes.

How can you possibly work on farm with livestock and not get mud and manure on your boots. And I didn't say anything about standing around in mud and manure all day, that was Frog Creek. What I said was that I have never seen any leather boot, regardless of the care I gave them, last anything close to 10 years, much less 20 years if worn for work. Even when I was a Trooper I never got more than 2.5-3 years out of a set of boots before the soles were shot and the leather was cracking and rotting, and they were polished at least weekly, if not more. Water, dirt, mud, it all wears them out. And we had Chippewas back when they were USA made and Rockys after that. Decent boots. As far as work, again, how can you possibly work around livestock and not get mud and manure on your feet? As I said, I wear Mucks or Dri Shod, and they crack too. We get the best wear from cheap feed store "barn boots" and just figure 3 months and it's time for new ones.

I'm still shocked that anyone can really see paying $600 for any boot. But then, I don't pay more than $15 for jeans either, or buy $75K pickups, so maybe it's just me. Some folks seem to have a heck of a lot of disposable income.

(quoted from post at 13:21:00 11/23/21)

How can you possibly work on farm with livestock and not get mud and manure on your boots. And I didn't say anything about standing around in mud and manure all day, that was Frog Creek. What I said was that I have never seen any leather boot, regardless of the care I gave them, last anything close to 10 years, much less 20 years if worn for work. Even when I was a Trooper I never got more than 2.5-3 years out of a set of boots before the soles were shot and the leather was cracking and rotting, and they were polished at least weekly, if not more. Water, dirt, mud, it all wears them out. And we had Chippewas back when they were USA made and Rockys after that. Decent boots. As far as work, again, how can you possibly work around livestock and not get mud and manure on your feet? As I said, I wear Mucks or Dri Shod, and they crack too. We get the best wear from cheap feed store "barn boots" and just figure 3 months and it's time for new ones.

I'm still shocked that anyone can really see paying $600 for any boot. But then, I don't pay more than $15 for jeans either, or buy $75K pickups, so maybe it's just me. Some folks seem to have a heck of a lot of disposable income.

Bret, this is like teenagers. You post "work around livestock" and they interpret it as "stand in mud and muck and manure all day", LOL!!

(quoted from post at 19:36:21 11/23/21)
(quoted from post at 13:21:00 11/23/21)

Bret, this is like teenagers. You post "work around livestock" and they interpret it as "stand in mud and muck and manure all day", LOL!!

Maybe thats it. I know our clay sucks the oils out of anything leather and even tires.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back