Yanmar YM1500 Weak Hydraulics - Help!

JJohnson-HT

New User
Hey guys,

I just joined today but ive been checking in here off and on for the past month or so.

I just moved from a small neighborhood out into the country and I now have 5+ acres to maintain. My plan was to get a small tractor and a bush hog and finishing mower for the upkeep as to not abuse my riding mower. I also want to have a garden and just need a small tractor for general utility as well. I came across an older gentleman who had a Yanmar YM1500 with a 4 ft bush hog. We agreed to a trade of an old golf cart I had for the tractor and bush hog. So far, the tractor has been great. Mechanically, it runs like a top. I even just ordered and received today the water pump conversion kit from Hoye because it gets hot here and I want to avoid any issues. I'm good with engines. I grew up in the country and my dad always had tractors and I'm pretty familiar with them, but I don't know anything about hydraulics and I've run into an issue.

My 3 pt lift has suddenly become weak. Without a load, the arms lift real nice without any issues. With a load, not so much. If I stand on the arms, it will not lift me, though it's trying to. The engine does feel like it's under load, but there are no noticeable noises from the pump or control valve. If I give it a little head start by supporting my own body weight (200lbs) it will lift me all the way up when I drop all of my weight down on it just after it starts moving.

I can pinpoint when it happened. I was lifting the bush hog because I wanted to get it on my trailer. I lifted it with the intention of backing my trailer under it. I closed the lock valve thinking it would help to hold the weight of the bush hog and I didn't turn the tractor off. I don't remember bringing the lift arm lever down and back up with the tractor running, but I've convinced myself that I must have and maybe I dead headed the pump. (Ive learned all of this about the hydraulics since my issue arose and I've been reading about it.) I was strictly naive about hydraulics before this. Anyway, I got the bush hog loaded, parked the tractor and came back to it a couple of days later. I hooked it up to a box blade and it wouldn't pick it up.

Ive pulled the relief valve and as far as I can tell, nothing is wrong there. I pulled the hydraulic pump today, because I convinced myself that I sheared the pin, but nope, everything looks and feels perfect. If I lift the arms and close the lock valve and turn the tractor off the arms will support my weight without leaking down, so I feel the piston and seal are in good shape.

What should I be looking at next?

Unless you have a loader or remote hydraulics or have some kind of quick disconnect couplers plumbed in - there is really no way to dead head the pump without <I><s></s>really<e></e></I> trying to. If the pump is deadheaded then it is game over and the pump will not pump until the problem (sheared key, broke shaft, cracked case, etc) is fixed. Since your lift<I><s></s> will <e></e></I>pick you up after it gets started lifting I am confident that your pump is just fine.

Since your lift arms will stay up once they are up I'm confident your lift orings are fine.

That leaves your valve and the linkage to the valve. I'm wondering if backing the trailer under the mower could have moved something or changed the adjustment of the lift linkages by getting them in a bind?? Maybe something with the linkage came loose? Either way it sounds like the valve is not responding to the feedback correctly. You can see that linkage push in the little button on the valve (shown in link below) when you move the lift lever.

<LINK_TEXT text="http://www.hoyetra..._Code=HTE&amp;Product_Code=hv-451</LINK_TEXT>

That is very possible. The trailer didn't just slide under the cutter. There was a little bit of a struggle because the cutter wasn't exactly as high as it needed to be.

I had been through the linkages and I couldnt see any pins missing or bent. But if something was out of alignment I wouldn't even know how to tell, but I did wonder if the linkage was pushing that button on the valve as far as it could go. I felt like there was a little more room for that button to travel. I'll look at it again.

You just responded to my question about returning the water pump kit. I've stressed myself out so much about this that I just bought a new tractor because the grass is growing and I need something I can use now.

If I can get this figured pretty quickly I may keep that water pump kit. I'd like to keep this tractor around even though I just bought a new one.

Well, I think I got it figured out. Turns out, once I finally got around around to taking the 3 pt. control valve off there was an O-ring missing. Looks like #23 on the 3 pt control diagram. <s>[url]</s>http://www.hoyetractor.com/CTGY/YM15003PTVALVE.htm<e></e>[/URL]

I replaced that little o-ring and put it back together and fired it up. That little 4 ft. box blade shot up like a rocket! It was the most beautiful sight I have ever seen.

I found a piece of it in the valve but I don't where the rest ended up. I'm still a little naive about it, but I think I know what happened. Looking at the feedback rod it doesn't look like it was engaging and putting the valve in a neutral position when the lift arms were all the way up. I had the arms lifted with the lift arm lever all the way up for a good period of time. I'm sure there was a lot of pressure built up in that valve if the feedback rod wasn't doing its job. I may be way off though. Thanks for all the help!

Kind of funny, literally 10 minutes after I got it worked out his morning, my new tractor got delivered to the house. Looks like that little o-ring cost me a lot of money! It's okay though, it's a 33hp and a little more appropriate for what I need. I'm going to keep that little Yanmar around though, I'm surprised at how much of a workhorse that thing is.

Aaron, you guys rock which made the tractor look and operate great!
Parts are powder coated which is why I needed new labels. I am lacking the 4wd-2wd label but don't want to buy another sheet for that one label.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back