You gotta be kidding

grandpa Love

Guy in NC is on a Cub Facebook group and we were helping him out with some if his cub issues. His neighbor GAVE him a non running '52 cub with cultivators. He has several rental houses in Birmingham AL,and was going to come by our place and buy a few parts ( draw bar, brackets,hand crank...) Was going to swap me the cultivators for the parts. We swapped phone numbers and have talked numerous times over the last several weeks. He has put about $350-400 in parts on the cub and still never got it running. Trying to help him one day I told him to pop distributor cap off and see if points were firing at all. Turns out the distributor shaft isn't turning. Well after more chit chat I asked what his plans were for the Cub. Said he was a preacher and he was gonna use it to pull a trailer around his property for hay rides. I asked if he would be interested in swapping for a running, driving '52 Allis B. Got good tires on the Allis. One rear on the cub is shredded and fronts ain't pretty. I figured it was a good trade. He was worried I was getting the short end of the deal ....... I told him the Allis suited him better, I ain't got implements for it. The cub would go nicely with my collection of cubs. Decided to meet half way. We loaded up yesterday and drove 200 miles east on I-20 and he headed south east from NC. Drove the Allis off my trailer and he drove it around the parking lot at the gas station we met at. Pushed his cub off his trailer and winched it on to mine, flat tires and all...... Everything is good. Well, some time after I got home last night (10:30 pm central) he texted me and wants his cub back !!!!! What??? So. Now I'm ranting to y'all, maybe looking for advice. I included his text.

Allis has been driven all over my place and parked in the barn. Never leaked. Sat on my trailer over night and rode 200+ miles , no leaks. He texted when he got home ,we were still on the road and said it leaked hydraulic fluid all over his trailer??? We talked to him a bit and he wasn't sure where it leaked from.
cvphoto89068.png

Text I woke up to!!!!

The first thing that came to my mind was that as many trades as you have had, this was likely something that would eventually happen. People are interesting to say the least, it takes all kinds to make a world.....and it appears we have them. I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation, but I wouldn't make a hasty decision for sure.

Interesting side note. He used his friends car hauler trailer, his friend hooked it up to his SUV. He loaded the cub and towed it 300+ miles. We unloaded the cub. When Mick drove the Allis on to this guy's trailer it popped off the ball!! Freaking us all out. He had a 2 inch ball and hitch was 2-5/16..... Holy cow. Luckily we had a slide in with the bigger ball on it. Took his off and put ours on. Ball was on tight....so we just pulled the pin and slid the whole thing on. He insisted on paying for it..... Gave my wife $25. Lucky fellow, that could have ended bad.

Well Kevin, I think I would say deal was done and agreed on by both parties.
Sounds like the Allis must have a very rough ride home after you swapped.
You did your part.
Also sounds like the trailer he pulled with the Allis must be very heavy on the tongue.
Your tired old friend, Richard

What I should do is find a good used tire for the cub and change that. Then patch tube in front tire. And pull the distributor out to see why it ain't turning. Get that cub purring like a kitten then haul it back to him ........ ...... Yeah I would do that.!!

Hate to say it but some preachers seem to always think they are are always getting the short stick and are owed something for nothing.

You already know the answer to the question: you have to take the whole loss and make it right, even though it's not your fault. Your honor is worth more than any deal.

He don't know what he's doing and you do, that means you should have recognized that he didn't, as you no doubt did, and not traded with him. You are lucky he got back to you right off the bat, if he had of had some bad accident you would have it on your conscious, the strong look after the weak, whether of body or mind.

I agree with Tim .... BUT expecting you to deal with the trip is maybe a bit too much. Why can't he do his part and haul it back to your house? Man of the cloth or not, I'm sure someone in his congregation will help him out.

The guy has never driven his Cub, and he thinks an Allis B is dangerous? He is the dangerous one, that Cub is not suited to do any wagon pulling. Planning hay rides with a Cub, or an Allis B, is a bad news story waiting to happen. I, personally, would never do a hay ride with a tractor that doesn't out weigh the loaded wagon. I'd tell him he might be better served to just sell the Allis that runs. He can then go to the local dealer of his choice and buy a new one that suits him. They sell new ones everyday.

He figured out that the cub is probably an easy fix and that it is more useful than the Allis. Now he wants it back. My $.02 is tell him you'll meet him halfway again and trade everything back how it was before. You're out the road trips, but road trips are nice. Don't do anything to the cub until you make your decision though.

Something for nothing. What one preaches is set to music as they live. He is never going to be happy no matter what. He likely tried to pull something with a chain on the axle. I never trade or sell anything without a written and signed agreement. It is likely he has never operated a tractor in his life. are there pictures of the interaction at the swap? Those would serve as evidence of intent, and satisfaction. Jim

Guess it's your fault for not explaining to him that 70 year old tractors don't come with a warranty.

If he is so disappointed with the deal I would tell him to bring back the Allis and come get his Cub but that meeting him halfway again is not going to happen.

Deal is done. If he wants it back he comes to you. Keep the cultivators.

If you decide to fix the cub and return it (I disagree with that idea) take images of it as is and before any effort is put into it. Inform him that he will be charged for the work at going shop rate regionally. He is not worth the effort, and it will promote the same poor lifestyle he exhibited. Jim

If he wanted "something for nothing" or wanted the Cub back because "it was more useful" then why doesn't he want the cultivators back?

Where does an Allis B leak hydraulic oil from? They don't even have hydraulics!

Being a preacher really doesn't or shouldn't enter into the situation. He's just another guy.
If you were a bad person, out to take advantage of others, you would not care about what he thinks or feels, after the deal was made.
On the other hand, you should be compensated for any of your losses, such as time and gas, if you choose to renegotiate this deal.
Ultimately if comes down to you being true the moral and ethical values that you live by.

A hydraulic pump was optional on AC Bs, was part of the pto on the back of the tractor. Used 20 weight oil that replaced the 90 weight in the trans and differential for
fluid.

Your junk for my junk trade get what you get.He thought he was getting over on you and he ended up getting an old used tractor just like you got end of story as far as I'm concerned.I'm not anti anyone's religion but when I see ads referencing Scripture and such I'm double skeptical and dealing with a preacher goes double again unfortunately.I'd tell him a deal is a deal and that is it.For me the trip you made was worth as much as either one of the tractors,doubt I'd of gone that far for either one if they were free.

I agree, if GP Love wants to swap back the other guy should do all the transporting both ways , or a deal is a deal.

I've moved my square baler around the yard with an Allis B..... I've pulled wagons with one, and a loaded single axle trailer full of fire wood. Never an issue.
cvphoto89072.png

cvphoto89073.png

This is not the tractor he got! This is a '39 with hand crank and hand brakes.
cvphoto89074.png

For what it is worth, I like your idea below about putting a little repair work into it to make it run and roll, then hand it back to him with the stipulation that this is the end of the line. No more. If he isn't happy with what he has, a running cub for pretty much free, then too bad.

I would make it clear that this is the final trade. After the deal is complete, don't call, text, email, or complain. He got what he asked for.

Also note that a minister is basically an employee of the congregation. Just a job like any other. No special privileges attached.

(quoted from post at 04:48:11 05/21/21) He texted when he got home ,we were still on the road and said it leaked hydraulic fluid all over his trailer??? We talked to him a bit and he wasn't sure where it leaked from.

That hydraulic fluid on his trailer may be ATF. If you drive another 200 miles to re-swap, will he be there.

Sumpin' stinks here. He did something bad to the Alli and now he wants you to take it back. I'd tell him we made a deal which you agreed to. If you don't like the tractor, sell it. Sounds to me like he busted up something.

The hitch ball story tells you all that you need to know about him. He likely borrowed that trailer from a member of his congregation. He might have borrowed the truck from another member. If he'd had an accident, everyone involved could have ended up defending themselves in court. Did you help him secure the Allis on the trailer for the trip home? I admire your thought of fixing the Cub for him, but I'd make him chain it to the trailer himself. Good luck getting shed of him.

My wife was on a jury where a guy borrowed a pickup from one friend, a trailer from another friend and then was involved in an accident. The borrower and the truck and trailer owners were all sued. The jury wasn't told of the previous suits until after the trial was over.

Your willingness to accomodate him is admirable.In this case,no dice.Tough bannanas.He drove it around the parking lot. He was able to see and inspect it.He knew what he was getting.Not your fault he doesnt understand how to drive it without lifting the font off the ground.Tell him to 'pound sand' or something similar.However,if you decide to trade back(you shouldnt),make him come to you,the whole distance.Put the ball in his court.

Sounds to me like the preacher has buyers remorse but he doesnt realize he is ahead on the deal. He has a running tractor and could trade up to something that suits him better I cant help but wonder what he does when he has to buy another car

For what it is worth, the only thing I would do is tell him to bring you your Allis B back in the condition you gave it to him. He must travel the 500 moiles to your place. Keep the cub out of sight until you determine he hasn't done any damage to it and keep the cultivators.
that is pay for your trip. Don't be too nice. He is on his own as far as i can see. Henry

His response sounds like it might have been emotional. He may feel better after sleeping on this deal, after all he does have a running tractor now. I'd call him, show him the pictures of how you hooked up to the wagon, and give him a chance to re-evaluate. He may come around.

now that is a crazy idea! then he will say.. see i traded u a good tractor . with a written statement with as is condition included makes a deal a deal! have you done that? and with you trading and buying tractors you will not have 100 percent roses, as there are scammers and crooks out there purposely looking to do what they do!

Sounds odd to me or he has a small trailer full of some heavy stuff and tongue heavy and popping the clutch so it does a wheelie. Me I'd probably say fine but the Farmall is here and not going back on my trailer so if you want it back you bring the A/C here to where the cub is

Its hard to win working with clergy in many cases, you pretty much have to donate all your time and belongings in the works and in a lot of cases you still are a con artist. You tried to help him out and went the extra mile to make it happen. Either way hes upset even if you deliver his cub back.

I am with everyone else pretty much. He test drove it, and a deal is a deal. It is in his court to reverse the deal if he wants to that bad. I would thoroughly inspect the Allis before taking it back. I like the idea of hiding the Cub until you check the Allis out.

It's up to you how you should respond.

I don't see how he could be making a comparison since the cub never ran.

Once you find the distributor drive problem, which might be simple, might be serious, you might find even more problems with the rest of the tractor.

I would explain that to him, that you took a big risk trading a running tractor for one worth only scrap value since it is not running.

Like Grandpa said when dealing with a religious man cock the other barrel. Let him bring the Allis back and give him his tractor back though don't load it for him let him load it. Don't meet him some place either.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back