1170 likes the 100 yd dash but not the marathon

Ron Sa

cvphoto108454.jpg

cvphoto108455.jpg

I have a question or two for 1370 Rod or anyone else familiar with the 70 series diesel engine fuel systems.
Last week I started plowing my 84 acres. A problem soon developed. My 1170 pulls good for a short distance and then sputters.

cvphoto108456.jpg

cvphoto108457.jpg

Since fixing the clutch and having to disconnect the fuel line behind the bleeder hand pump, the 1170 had only been lightly loaded and no signs of a fuel system problem. As a matter of fact for the last several years, I had only used the 1170 on light loads because of the weak clutch.

But after hard plowing about a quarter of a mile, the 1170 sputtered. My first thought was fuel filters so I proceeded to change the fuel filters. I remembered I had found the bleeder hand pump to be bad when I was trying to bleed the fuel lines and restarting the tractor this past spring. A CaseIH parts man tried hard but said the OEM part number of the bleeder hand pump is no longer available and no replacement number was listed. I had to patiently let a full tank of fuel and gravity bleed the system.

Changing the fuel filters did not fix the problem or change anything; another quarter of a mile plowing and more sputtering.

cvphoto108458.jpg

cvphoto108459.jpg

cvphoto108460.jpg

This time, I inspected the transfer pump internals and they looked fine but the symptoms include maybe low fuel flow or maybe air getting sucked into the supply lines. My first QUESTION is what is you experience with 70 series transfer pumps going bad?

This prompted me to remove a panel and inspect the fuel line connection that I had disconnected last winter to fix the clutch. I then saw the bad bleeder hand pump was wet with fuel as shown above.

I also discovered the bad seal around the bottom that got busted when I removed it. I am assuming this bad seal may be a source of air leak into the fuel system. I will find out if an o-ring fixes any leak here.

cvphoto108461.jpg

My 70 series IT repair manual shows on later models the bleeder hand pump integral with the transfer pump.
My other QUESTION is if I get a new transfer pump for the later 70 series models, with the built-in bleeder hand pump, will it work on my early 1170?

Had the same problem with a 930 this summer. Take the hand primer off and take it completely apart. Turn the elbow out and the guts all come out...found a bug in mine.

The newer style primer pump that you don't have to unscrew will go right into your housing(even on the early 1970 style pump and filter set up without a sediment bowl) . I think the last one I bought was about $20 at the local diesel shop.

If you pull the line off that goes from the tank to the pump, do you have a solid 1/4" stream of fuel? Will it run solid until it fills a 5 gallon can?

I have had several 70s with floating junk in the tank that were a constant frustration until I pulled the tanks and cleaned them good.

I found a bug in one too, so check carefully. But start by taking the line off from the tank to confirm you have good flow from the tank. Junk in the tank is common on older tractors.

All the previous suggestions are good and I cant add much more information. Full continuous flow from the tank and no obstruction in the fitting feeding the primer and it should run great. Yes you should be able to install the later hand pump primer with no problem if you need to. Rod.

cvphoto108548.jpg

Thanks for all your inputs. After wiping away more crud, I can see that mine looks similar to this unit on Ebay. Case probably purchased someones standard unit for its OEM. As RGMARTIN mentioned, parts are probably sill easily available from various sources.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back