12 volt kit

Anonymous-0

As part of my continuing effort to impress my wife, I decided to convert her 1951 model Farmall M from a six volt generator charging system to a twelve volt alternator. I purchased the kit online from Yesterday's Tractors.

When we installed the alternator yesterday we discovered that the brackets stick out too far. The hood can not be put back on the tractor. I called the telephone number at Yesterday's Tractors and was informed that they could not provide technical advice, even for their own products and refered me to this forum. I hope that somebody else has experienced this problem and can help me solve it.

The kit includes a resistor but should I replace the six volt coil and battery with twelve volt components?

Thanks in advance.

TK

Can you grind down the bracket?
You might want to post this in the Farmall Forum for more
responses.

Randy

I think you want to use the original bracket for the 6 volt generator, and make some bushings to fill up the extra space. Also, use the original Farmall M generator belt. You can keep the 6 volt coil you have if you use the resistor supplied in the kit. Absolutely do not use the 6 volt battery. Get a new 12 volt battery. Alternator/hood clearance is usually not an issue on an M. It does become an issue on an H.

Tom, I will only address your electrical concerns. Of course, youre gonna need to replace the battery to a 12 volt and I assume the new alternator is for NEGATIVE GROUND ???? so dont forget to configure the 12 volt battery as such BEFORE wiring the alternator.

As far as the ignition coil and resistor, you can EITHER use the existing 6 volt coil but add the external voltage dropping (12 to 6) ballast resistior in series in the ignition circuit AFTER the ignition switch and BEFORE the coil ORRRRRRRRRRR ELSE buy a new full true 12 volt rated coil and dont use any ballast. If the old coil is good I see no reason to run out n buy a new 12 volt coil especially if you alrady have a ballast to use !!!!!!!!!

GROUNDING ISSUES In the event you have to change from positive to negative ground (most alllllll alternators are neg ground) you would have to swap the ammeter leads or else it will read bass ackwards and the coil should be wired to match the battery polarity, i.e. - terminal to distributor for Neg ground with + receiving voltage from the switch/ballast AGAIN this is if you were previously at pos ground and only now changing over to negative !!!!!!!!

John T

To eliminate the gen The easest method was to use an idler pulley mounted to press on the outside of the belt. With this the gen can be mounted closer to the engine. The Olivers have to do this to fit the side panels on.

I've got an Oliver 88 with an alternator on it,
Had to get a lot shorter belt in order to put the
side curtains back on.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back