175 clutch again, adjustment tool

Jim I probably am. But i deal with numbers at my job so its hard to say oh well close enough. I did the other method but to get them even I wont have any threads sticking out the back of two of the clutch fingers. I honestly feel that one of the fingers is sticking out further but then again Im sure there arent very tight tolerances on them. Im going to cut 4mm off the one gauge and adjust to it with some feeler gauges and hope it all works out.

I fully understand wanting to be right on the numbers, I prefer that as well. Sometimes you have to compromise. The throwout bearing and collar can deal with a few more than .005'' in the fingers. John Deere uses .010'' allowable variance in finger height, when using some of their similar gauges. They also call for ''excercising'' the fingers a few strokes after adjusting all three, then recheck them. They can change some as the pressure plate parts are not so precise that they will repeat with no change. You could put the disc centering alignment shaft tool in place to keep the discs centered to the pilot bearing and work the pressure plate finger a few times then check to see if finger heights changed.

Shortening the OAL of the FT366 tool should move the cutout of the gauge over the finger bolts. Just be sure you don't end up with a lot of threads showing below any of the fingers, which might foul with the clutch disc hub when pushed fully down.

Using ptfarmer's method you would need to be sure there are a couple threads showing on the lowest finger's bolt. Then bring the other's down to it, or you would encounter what you did.

How hard should it be to move the clutch fingers? I cant push
them in at all they are very stiff. And we appreciate all the help
this is my son and Is first time doing anything like this. Next will
be addressing the brakes after we get it back together and
running.

(quoted from post at 09:00:44 09/15/23) How hard should it be to move the clutch fingers? I cant push
them in at all they are very stiff. And we appreciate all the help
this is my son and Is first time doing anything like this. Next will
be addressing the brakes after we get it back together and
running.

They push hard. Consider the linkage geometry and that you are pushing a clutch pedal with your leg, that develops a lot of force to release the pressure plate. Some manuals recommend doing the adjustment with the flywheel and clutch assembled on a bench and ''exercising'' it in a press to push all three fingers together as the throwout bearing would. I have adjusted mine and haven't worried about exercising the fingers, they have worked ok so far. You might be able rig up a long bar and spacer across the pressure plate to move the fingers if you want to do it in place.

Also what wire do you guys use for the two bolts on the shaft that the clutch pedal is hooked to? I used a stainless tig welding rod but I am thinking it might be too thick. So what wire and where do I get it at? Thank you

(quoted from post at 15:17:58 09/17/23) Also what wire do you guys use for the two bolts on the shaft that the clutch pedal is hooked to? I used a stainless tig welding rod but I am thinking it might be too thick. So what wire and where do I get it at? Thank you

You can get .041'' stainless safety lock wire at Harbor Freight and other places. That is protected from the weather so mechanic's wire, rebar tie wire, baling wire, or similar should be ok.

Thank you sir.

I tried the new gauge and it seems to have them all set the
same. When I measure the one is off about a mm and it has like
3 threads out the back but the other two are flush. I will say all
the jam nuts the factory paint mark lines up now again and I am
wondering if the one clutch finger might be a little thinner than
the others. I know it isnt the right way but looking straight down
they all look pretty even with each other

The thickness of the fingers where the bolts thread in might be a little different or the machining in other spots vary a bit so the thread protrusions are different. The bolt head surfaces where the throwout bearing contacts is what is important.

Have you checked the clearance on the 3 bolts for the PTO disc? I think the book calls for .090'', many reduce that by .010'' to .020'' to improve the release of the PTO (second stage) disc.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back