9N 3 Point Arms not Raising

Jim, I can lift the arms by hand very easily. Does this indicate something?
Thanks, DJ
I got tied up yesterday and didn't get to the site. Just indicates that the arms are free to lift. I looks like you pinpointed your problem. Let's hope you can get the valve freed up.

Grandpas 9N has been sitting in a shed for 8 - 10 years and when the shed started to fall down it was pulled outside for the last year. I brought it home and thought i would try to get it going. It’s an older 9N with the starter switch in the dash but it does have an 8N engine in it with the side distributor. I drained all the fluids and replaced, cleaned the carb, filed the points, hung a temporary gas tank on it and put in a battery. It didn’t crank much before started and it ran pretty good. Now the next thing to work on is the 3 point. The arms make no attempt to raise with PTO on and moving the lift lever. There is some movement on the top link spring. Reading posts i could find it looks like my next move is to remove side covers and see what’s happening inside with oil. Does anyone have any trouble shooting tips for this situation? The tires hold air for a while but are pretty rotten so i would like to see if the 3 point will work before I invest in tires which are probably worth more than the tractor. If it wasn’t grandpas i probably wouldn’t be messing with it.
Thanks for your help,
DJ
Did you get it operating?

Had some time this past weekend to play with it. After spraying it up with Kroil and moving it back and forth a couple times with a bar it now moves freely with the lever. I put the oil back in and fired it up. The arms go up and down like they should. What I thought was going to be a major problem turned out to be quite easy with this forums help.
Thanks again to everyone for all their help.
DJ

Had some time this past weekend to play with it. After spraying it up with Kroil and moving it back and forth a couple times with a bar it now moves freely with the lever. I put the oil back in and fired it up. The arms go up and down like they should. What I thought was going to be a major problem turned out to be quite easy with this forums help.
Thanks again to everyone for all their help.
DJ
Good for ya!

Wouldn’t have been able to do it without the help from this group.
The new rims arrive tomorrow so that will be the next challenge. What have people found has worked the best for lube to get the tires on?
Thanks,
DJ

Wouldn’t have been able to do it without the help from this group.
The new rims arrive tomorrow so that will be the next challenge. What have people found has worked the best for lube to get the tires on?
Thanks,
DJ
Water and dish soap works well or there is a tire lube called Murphy's soap that looks like a type of grease but isn't and oil product but a soap

Reactions: lha
I’ve been meaning to post a picture after i have most things working well, new rims, and some different tires. 75 years of tractor evolution in this picture. I wonder if the newer tractor will still be around in 75 year.
Thanks again to everyone here who helped me get grandpas tractor going again. I can only assume it will get its old job back raking hay this year.
DJ

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpeg
    IMG_3005.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 28

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back