Best way to store tractor

Kc1937B

With busy schedules ahead I'm not sure how much more I'm gunna be able to run my 37 B. The tank is almost empty. My question is whats the best way to store them over winter or for long periods of time. Should I run it completly empty and let her sit or fill her full and dump some stable or isopropyl in it. All the years dad stored it I don't think it had much gas never really drove it much just had it at a friend's house and he'd go up once in awhile and turn the fly wheel just to keep it from locking up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated just wanna take care of this baby right

Dry would be best. Carb gaskets can dry out, so be prepared for that in the future. My old neighbor (now deceased) had some old logging tucks (40's) and other old crap, and would coat them with used oil. After his death, his son and I managed to get 2 trucks, a sawmill engine and a skidder to run. Just sayin'. He was right on the ocean, so a salt background was in play.

I think for long term storage, several years, I'd empty the tank. For simple over-the-winter storage, I'd fill her up and shoot plenty of the Stabil in.

I filled my MT with fuel for one winter's storage. I must have done it on a cold day because as the shed would warm up some on sunny days, unnoticed by me, the gas expanded, overflowed the tank, slowly run down the side of the hood and ruined the paint and decal.

So, I'd say drain the tank, run until it quits, then drain the carb. Never had any trouble with carb gaskets shrinking. For longer than just over winter, I'd also recommend blocking under the tractor to leave the tires up off the surface just in case one looses it's air. Oh, block the dry clutch in the disengaged position too. I sometimes spray sone fogging oil into the spark plug holes too. Draining the engine block and radiator would be good too. Antifreeze can turn JD green paint into blue.

For winter storage, I just shut the fuel off at the tank and let them run until they run out of gas. The gas tanks are anywhere from almost empty to half full. I use Primrose fuel treatment and in the spring they start like they were run the day before.

I like having the tank and carburetor full. I also have a bottle of two cycle oil in every tank to control rust. You don't want any type of alcohol in there. It attracts moisture.

Over winter just keep gas with stabil in it. May even be worth the extra for recreational fuel ethanol free ?
For long haul drain as much as you can drain out. Then put kerosene in and make sure it fills up carb. and leave some in the tank too.
I've had the most trouble with draining and leaving them dry.

I just fill the tank of my 530 to the brim with non-ethanol and a bottle of stabil. Fires right up like a champ every spring! I also wait until spring to change the oil and let it run till warm first so any condensation that formed over the winter is removed with the old oil.

I have not run my 1935 JD-B in years. The gas tank is empty and the carb drain is open and the tank is nice and clean and has been ever since ti has been in the family and my grand father parked it the same way as I do. Tractor has been in the family since 1940. I played on it as a child and my grand kids have played on it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back