Building fence

notjustair

I have to put in a new runway by the barn. I bought 4x8 wood posts so I would have something straight. Neighbor mentioned today they had heard there is such a thing as Quikrete for post holes. Is there such a beast? I have tamped every post hole on this place but I'm not getting any younger. Part of me wants to use some concrete although I know you have to put in some gravel to let the water out of the post. Still sounds easier.

Thoughts anyone?

Oh, and I will be using the hole auger on the 4020, so it is tractor related :)

They make a fast setting concrete that comes in a red bag.
You dig the hole;
put some gravel in the bottom;
install the post;
pour the dry concrete in the hole to within 3 or 4 inches of the top;
pour the recommended amount of water in the hole;
sets up in about 30 minutes.

John has the concrete product pretty well covered.

I have been back filling post holes with 3/4 washed crushed gravel for 20 years or more. The gravel will pour around the post easier than dirt. You just shake the post as you are pouring the gravel around it. Then tamp the top some. The post will be way tighter than one back filled with dirt. The gravel will wedge in much tighter than dirt ever would.

Try it on one hole and see how you like it. I think it is much easier to do and the post last better.

Yes, a dry set of a post is better than a wet set (pour the bag in dry, wet it afterwards)! Yes, they make a post setting mix, but I don't bother using it. I use any gravel mix. I agree with JDSeller that just gravel works wonderful-anytime the post gets bumped it gets tighter!

I wouldn't do it. I would not want all that concrete in the way the first time a post breaks off. If you get those posts in the ground where they belong they don't take much tamping. Given some winter rains they will tamp themselves.

A post set in concrete will rot off a lot quicker than on set in just dirt or rock. I have taken out hedge post set in dirt that had been in the ground over 100 years and were still good. Have also worked for a half day trying to get one out that was set in concrete that had rotted off.

My Father, May he rest in peace, mixed quikcrete with water to set posts a few years ago. When I went to tear the fence out so I could clean up the farmstead I had a heckuva time getting them out. My recommendation is not to use quikcrete.

depends on what the post is doing.

I'd absolutely do it for corner fence posts or gate posts. Otherwise I just back fill and hope for the best - and I've never been sorry for doing that.

As long as you're going down 4 feet. (or past the frost line - whatever it may be for you).

Can't say I've ever used the post-specific concrete - I just grab any type of quickrete, mix it in wheelbarrow and dump it in around the post.

I know you can just put it in the hole dry and add water, but I feet better knowing it's mixed well.

Quite honestly, I don't find it much of a chore. Rinsing the wheel barrow isn't hard work.

Do be sure to put a layer of crushed stone in first to allow for drainage.

A contractor here that has built hundreds of pole buildings puts a half bag of ready mixed cement dry and sets the post in the hole. They plumb the posts and back fill with the dirt around the hole. I have two that were built 30 years ago and the posts are still sound. A lot of people over think a non existent problem.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back