Buy a skid steer or put a loader on my tractor?

rbooe05

Hello all, looking for a little input here. I currently have a new Deere 5045d I use to bush hog and work over food plots and garden and work my driveway. Well I need a loader and I"m looking at putting a 512 loader on it but those are pushing 6 grand installed so for around 5 grand I can buy a Deere 675b skid steer. Any input on what"s my best bet? I"m not big on the fact I have to do maintenance on 2 machines but skid steers do come in really handy. Any input would.be appreciated!

A skid steer is handier than a T shirt pocket. After owning one for a while you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Yes, there is maintenance but you will also be keeping those hours off your tractor.

I have a loader backhoe combination, a farmall m with a loader on it, an h with a loader on it and a skid steer. When I need to do loader work, I grab the skidder. Have forks and a snow plow for the skidded too. It's fast, and highly maneuverable. Great in the woods too. The backhoe is a lumbering giant, but has its place too.

I'd say it would depend on your uses ? If you really think you would want one on that tractor ever I would get it now while it is still available for that model. Loaders don't always stay current.

Not familiar with that model of skid steer ,but it's price sounds like it might be a good buy ?

I'm not a big fan of skid steers as you see guys getting beat to death on them bouncing around and if something goes wrong it is right in your lap !
I don't like the idea of crawling out under your load either. I use a loader mainly for lifting up things where they are suspended and you need to get on and off the machine often.
Now if your loading up loose items in close quarters it's hard to beat the skid steer.

Great question!
I bought a used Bobcat skid steer back in the spring. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it or trade it off for a tractor with a bucket.
You can do more things with a tractor, so I guess I'm leaning in that direction. A tractor may be easier to get in & out of too.

Yes, but you are comparing a NEW loader to a WELL-used skidsteer. Who knows what kind of pile of junk you'll end up with for $6000? Around here $6000 doesn't buy you much of a skidsteer, I know that much.

Also, it's another engine to feed and maintain, and another machine to park somewhere.

A compact tractor with a loader is darn near as handy as a skidsteer. The loader will be quick-attach too, so you can have it off the tractor in a couple of minutes when you don't need it.

I have 2 tractors with loaders. Also have a backhoe. I bought a skid steer about a year ago and haven't hardly even looked at the other 3 loaders since.

About 10 years ago dad wanted to go look at a skid steer, Why we don't need it. We bought it and now the loader is almost never used. The Ghel 4400 (4 cyl Ford engine) is a good machine and you would be surprised what you will end up doing with one. We gave $3400 for this one, 2 years ago I replaced the bucket (old one was shot) for $500 (it was a 1 year old and is a 1 yard bucket) and this spring I built a set of pallet forks for it. I never thought we would ever need one now I don't know what we would do without it! Get a skid steer you will be very happy! Bandit
a167975.jpg

I have both. Probably use the skid steer for more routine (small) tasks. I made sure that all my attachments fit both the loader on the tractor as well as the skid steer. Now you're talking handy. Sounds like you're just going to be doing ground maintenance mainly. It was mentioned below that crawling out of a skid steer with a load suspended up in front of you is NO fun. 'Downright dangerous. I second that! If I had to choose with one or the other (as in I couldn't have both) I'd take the tractor and loader combo. I think "skid steers" are a "convenience" item. With that said, mine is not for sale. At my age, I like convenience.

mostly it depends on your intended use. We had a loader on a Farmall H. 30 years ago I bought a used Bobcat skid loader. the Loader has not been on the farmall H since. And I'm on my second Bobcat. But this fall I bought a loader to fit the 986. It is to have something to load heavier items it has a bale spear and I'll use it for handling large square bales. Each has its place and the 1 you choose depends on your use.

When I was raising hogs the skid steer was used daily for cleaning in tight quarters.

When the hogs went the skid steer went a year later. I was tired of repairing it. I bought a loader for dads 1900 Ford tractor. Works great for my needs.

Skid steers are kinda like diesel pickups. If your pulling a load everyday a diesel may be alright. If your gonna use the skid steer everyday it may be alright. Otherwise why spend the money when a loader will do most jobs if not more and one less machine to repair.

Also a skidsteer will tear the heck out of every surface when turning except concret, unless you go back and forth 6 times. If your gonna do that you might as well use a tractor.

Gary

Your best bet? I think that would depend on what the intended use is... I can tell you that in the price range you're in with that skid and it being ~20 years old, that could bring you 5500 worth of skid and 8K more in heartache. On the other hand it may last you a lifetime. You really need to know what you're looking at and run it HARD for at least 1H minimum in a dirt bank doing heavy loading and see how hot it gets. That thing could well be at the point where the hydro makes heat in 20 min, the engine is on it's last legs, it doesn't lift right anymore, the boom is tweaked and doesn't sit level, the rear of the boom at the cross members could be cracked all to hell... reduction gearboxes may need serious attention, etc. All I can tell you there is BUYER BEWARE.
On the other hand, I suspect that once you have a skid you'll not want to go back to working with a conventional farm tractor loader. I have both and more often than not use the skid... but there are times when I prefer the tractor.
That size skid should do a lot of work for you if it's properly equipped.

Rod

I have a 1840 case.. cummins diesel.. bought it about 7 years ago.. I use it alot in the winter cutting trees down, moving snow, etc. Summer time it sits more than used..BUT wouldnt do without having one..Tractor with loader is to slow and you cant see the bucket well..

(quoted from post at 03:44:53 09/04/14) Hello all, looking for a little input here. I currently have a new Deere 5045d I use to bush hog and work over food plots and garden and work my driveway. Well I need a loader and I"m looking at putting a 512 loader on it but those are pushing 6 grand installed so for around 5 grand I can buy a Deere 675b skid steer. Any input on what"s my best bet? I"m not big on the fact I have to do maintenance on 2 machines but skid steers do come in really handy. Any input would.be appreciated!

I bought this one about 6 years ago and can't live without it. Visibility and maneuverability is a big advantage. Yanmar engine is easy starter and low maintenance. I hate having loaders on my tractors, always in the way.

I had a small case 1816c and it was very handy but just way underpowered and small. I have a 10 acre property that I use the equipment on and help a lot of family and friends with home and garden projects and move a lot of snow for them and the people close by. I would guess I might put 3 or 4 hours on a skid steer a week just doing property maintenance ex: driveway work, landscaping, moving downed trees and brush cleanup and what not and in the winter push snow. So for me I'm sure I can get away with a less than perfect machine. My price isn't set it just seemed like a nice machine. It had no leaks, ran strong no smoke, no slop on the controls and no hesitation or chunks in the drive motors. It has 2100 hours and was used as a highway dept. Machine to load snow. I think he said the year was a 94. But I also have seen a few high hour bobcats with a heated cab going for 11,000$ which I may be able to make a little money with on the side. I'm just torn. It's one more machine to maintain and one more spot to take up in the barn. Just trying to decide if it's really worth it or not. I don't know how a loader may affect maneuverability or vision when I'm bush hogging or tilling or dragging a box blade. It's not a quick detach loader. Those run 7 grand and up so it would have to be permanent

How is the skid steer for transport ? Can I drive it down the road comfortably at 15 mph to one of the other farms half an hour away like I do with my tractor. Or do I need to buy a trailer with a skid steer too? For sure I have looked at the skid steers but a decent one is a lot of money and I don't need the headaches of a "well used" one.

I know lots of skidsteers are faster than my Bobcat S185 cause it will only go 7-9 mph on the road.
Like someone already stated that they tear up the ground when turning but you can learn to cause less damage, but slows you down.
I have a Kubota L3800 with front loader and it has the quik-tach system that matches Bobcat and several other major brands but I put the bobcat bucket on the tractor and it felt like the little bucket with a load in it already.

You are hands down better off buying a compact articulated wheel loader instead of a skid.
Greater visibility all around, no tearing up of the yard and lawn either, they are easy to get on and off from the side instead of climbing out of a cramped skid steer cab and over the bucket(One is stuck as rabbit in a trap in a skid if you're by yourself and need to get out when you have something hanging in the loader like a post hole auger or lifting an engine or so or hanging a gate).
IMO Skids are a pain in the arse.

The particular skid in this thread.. IIRC, has a top speed somewhere around 7mph. Larger skids, IF they have the 2 speed gearbox... at least the NH based ones like that, top out around 12 mph. If you're going any distance you haul them. A mile is one thing. 10 miles is painful.

Rod

adding a skid loader you add more maintance cost. fuel cost. buying a worn out skid loader can cost you a lot more than 6k in the long run.

if I were you id look at the 553 loader. should be close to the cost you were quoted for the 510 but is a much heavier loader. and is a quick attach loader. It comes off and on in 6 minutes.
the 510 is a light duty loader and is not a quick attach loader.

remember you get what you pay for.

always buy the best tool you can afford at the time.

in this case buy the 510 or 553 loader

For me it would depend on how often I would use it and what I'm going to use it for?

Skid steers are very unhandy if you want to pick up stuff with a chain.

Also getting in and out of a skid steer is unhandy.If you have any kind of leg,joint or back problems getting in and out of the skid steer will wear you out.

I don't own any type of loader. No more than I would use one. I would get a quick tach loader for one of my tractors.

Get in touch with a Woods implement dealer. That loader may be 15-20% less cause it has the Woods name and not the Deere name. I saved $700 cause I bought the FEL for my Deere from a Woods dealer.
$700 is a nice chunk of money. Getting a good running skid steer for $ 5,000 seems tough.

The Bobcat has a handle by the back window and you can pull it and get out the rear. It's not too easy but at least you have the option.

I HAVE A HYDRAMAC skid steer and a 200 AC with a Westendorf Quicktach loader. I took the loader off the tractor and may never put it back on. I use the skid for everything. I would suggest you try out the loader before you buy it. I wouldn't be with out mine.

I really don't believe the hours... Keep in mind that those things have an EIC that... isn't so much prone to failure as it is to perhaps mis-diagnosis of it's failure... regardless, it gets replaced and the hours are seldom set to actual on the new cluster; they're just left at zero and the count starts over.
You've checked the superficial stuff. Work it hard for at least an hour. That will tell you a lot more about it's actual condition. AS long as the hydro temp doesn't push more than 120-130 and it doesn't get lazy... it should be OK.
I'm just doubtful of the hours because the DOT usually doesn't have that stuff sit around for 20 years doing nothing. Could also be 12000 hours...

Rod

are you going to use it in snow or mud? skidloaders have trouble in both. Tractors have way better traction in those conditions. But if you need to get in and out of small areas or buildings, skidloaders are the way to go.

Lots of good comments below. Consider where you will use it. I would not want one on hills or mud but if you have reasonably level dry area to use it, I suspect you will also wonder what you did without it. I myself have no level area to use it so I use a compact tractor and loader. Paul

Thank you all for the great input! After reading everyone's thoughts I think my best bet is to go with a 553 quick attach loader and a 73 inch bucket and a set of pallet forks. It's going to push 7500 but I think will be worth it because I can take it on and off as I need. It will be brand new so no issues and will have a warranty. Only downfall is I have to wait almost a month and a half to get it in and I'm not sure if I want to try to install it myself or pay the dealer 800$ to install it!

I would tend to differ with you about using a skid steer on a hill. The NewHolland derived Deere he's looking at would generally be a lot more stable on most slopes than any compact utility tractor in the same power class.
Mud... that I totally agree with you. Skids and mud do not combine well together unless one is talking about the unity they gain when the skid is stuck to it's belly pan... and that happens a LOT. But slopes... I find are very manageable. You just learn what minimum balance weight is required on the front to drive up a steep hill. Usually an empty bucket is sufficient.... but no attachment or just a light attachment like a bale spike may not be enough. They're not the machine for every situation but in some cases are very much a more versatile machine than a tractor. I would be lost without my NH LS170.

Rod

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back