Cold day breakdowns

jon f mn

Sure was a cold one today, started about -10 and dropped all day. But the wind was the worst, man it was cold. Of course I had to test fate and break a trailer today. Picked up a full load of bulk soybeans in this container, they load me on a scale to 79,800 or so. When I went to slide the wheels they were frozen and wouldn't slide in the lot because it was ice covered. So I pulled onto the road and when traffic was clear went to move them. They stuck, but then let go and it slid all the way to the stop and slammed and broke the stop off. That is also what holds the wheels on, so the front of the wheels dropped, tearing off air lines and wires too. So there I sat blocking traffic and can't move. Not a good way to be, and not a way to make friends with the highway patrol. Lol. Luckily it didn't pull all the way out like they usually so, so I was able to push it back up onto the wheels.

cvphoto11295.jpg

cvphoto11296.jpg

You can see the lower frame hanging down in those pics. Had to have a service truck come out and release the brakes so I could get it off the road. We just chained the frame up and I was able to move it back to the lot I loaded at. They were kind enough to let me use their shop to fix the chassis. You can see in these pics that the bolts that hold it together have been broken for years.

cvphoto11297.jpg

cvphoto11298.jpg

cvphoto11299.jpg

They must have seen an issue, but didn't know what was wrong because they didn't replace the bolts, they welded some plates on to hold it. They did a real poor job of it tho.

cvphoto11300.jpg

cvphoto11301.jpg

cvphoto11302.jpg

I was able to get it back in place and get new bolts in.

cvphoto11303.jpg

cvphoto11304.jpg

Took a few hours to get it in place and bolted and fix the air lines and wiring so I could get it to the rail and get the can off and the chassis back to the owners. They were a little panicked and wanted all the info on what happened as they have a bunch of those chassis. The broken bolts were hidden because they were stuck to the frame with rust so you couldn't tell they we're broken just by looking at them. I had to twist each one loose with a socket to get them loose. So a simple walk around wouldn't find this issue. They said they will be checking all of them for similar problems.

Where were your cage bolts? I have had to use them more this last year then all the rest of my driving career.

Hope your company knows how lucky they are to have someone who could fix the problem. I think in my area the driver would remove himself to the nearest coffee shop until a service truck arrived.

Someone is very lucky to have employed someone who can fix things, instead of the guy who throws his hands in the air and declares that "it's not my Job"

You were lucky that it didn't take out the ICC bar and go completely out the back and drop trailer on the ground. We had a driver have that happen and it took all day by the time it took to get crane to lift trailer and slide axles back under it.

Way to go Jon. That looks like a tough issue to deal with on a good day much less a day with -30 wind chills. I am not familiar with big trucks but I can see that was bad.

Paul

Glad it wasn't me. I couldn't have done any of that. I was in northern suburbs finishing load out at one of our auctions. There weren't many semis on the road. Mine ran terrible but I think it is an ongoing injector problem. I had to load my flatbed from a uphill loading dock with a hard rubber tired forklift. Snow was blowing off the building roof and kept the wood and metal deck and metal ramp very slippery. I had taken a small container of softener salt in case I got stuck going up a freeway on-ramp. Salt on the decks is the only way I got the forklift to move. Put all the pallets on first, backed the forklift on with a large pallet, and then rolled on anything on wheels. Ended up getting the forklift and cargo all on without loosing anything over the side. Vary scary. Then spent 2 1/2 hours outside in the -20 degree weather strapping and chaining down. Had to get in the truck once in awhile to thaw out my hands. I was very glad to get back to the complex, back the truck in and go home. Unloading can be another day.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back