Crops in central midwest

keh

We made trip to St Louis and then to SW MO, Mansfield, MO, which was the last home of the author Laura Ingalls Wilder. The first day which was Thursday, Aug 8, we drove through the worst downpour of rain I have ever had to drive in, between Crossville and Nashville, TN. There was some rain around all during the trip.

Crops looked fine. Corn looks to be made and the issue now is for it to ripen and dry out enough to harvest. Then the issue is getting enough dry weather to be able to get in the fields to harvest it. Soybeans tall tall and lush. If soybeans are the same in the lower Midwest as the are here in SC September is the month when they are made. My neighbors fields of soybeans that were no tilled in old pasture are now looking pretty good. They have been sprayed, presumeably with Roundup, since one pasture had Johnson grass in it and it is now dying.

The drive from St Louis to Mansfield was long. Countryside there for much of the way is rolling , rocky hills with somewhat scrubby looking oak trees covering them. Looks like much of the area was timbered off and regrowth is slow. Mixed among the hills are some nice gently rolling farm land, occasionally growing corn and beans but mostly in hay and pasture. Lots of hay cut and baled earlier. We had to go around Ft. Leonard Wood, or Ft. Lost in the Woods as OLD calls it, because heavy rain had washed out or damaged some bridges. Laura and her husband came to Mansfield in 1886 and bought 40 acres, later building up to 200 acres. They produced fruit, livestock, and eggs for sale. Laura started writing the "Little House on the Prairie" books in her later years with the editing assistance of her daughter Rose who had become a successful author.

Went to the Cahokia Indian Mounds just east of St Louis which was well worth seeing. People who have excavated the site say there were 20,000 people in the town at its height. It was deserted by 1450 for reasons unknown. Trade goods, such as shells, are found in the site from the Gulf coast, indicating trade over a wide area. Archaeologists say that since Cahokia was so large, they must have collected tribute from a wide area. That's speculation since the Mound builders had left by the time Europeans arrived, they did not leave any writings, and other Indians in the area did not have any oral tradition of them. The mounds were burial and ceremonial grounds. The highest mound is 100 feet high and from the top there is a good view of the St Louis Arch and buildings, also a good view of a landfill mound just east of St Louis which probably will confuse future archaeologists.

Agriculture was the main food source of the Cahokians, corn, beans, and squash being the main crops.

My opinion as to why they disappeared and abandoned the site is that they used up their resources. They must have had to cut trees for building purposes in an ever increasing area around the town. Animals would have been hunted out. They used a lot of energy building a wood stockade about a mile around the place, and indications are it had to be rebuilt 6 times in a little over a hundred years.

BTW, Johnson Grass grows that far North. The big mound had J. G. growing on the sides. Kudzu was growing in northern KY. Sorry about that, that's 2 Southern imports you don't need.

KEH

Did you go to the Little House Restaurant in Mansfield? I was in there one time and an old guy was claiming he had a cow down for six months and she got up and was fine. East of there around Mountain Grove is some nice cattle country. It's nice just north of there around Hartville too.

We were across southern Kentucky two weeks ago. The soybeans were the best I've ever seen anywhere in my life. They were as tall as the woven wire fence around the fields. Got in to northern Tennessee and saw corn and soybeans growing where I'll bet nothing but pasture has grown for at least 50 years.

We made a trip through SW Missouri last weekend taking my daughter to OU in Norman, Ok. I have taken I-44 a few times and the area from about Rolla to Joplin is pretty sparse, especially at two or three a.m.

Larry

Didn't see the Little House Restaurant. We ate in the car on the road.

South of Jolla was where the bridges were out.

KEH

Rolla. Our kids live near Ft. Lost in the Woods. It was a mess there with all the rain.

That is not corn, or any row crop country for that matter.

Most of the row crop ground in Missouri is along, and North of I-70. Now there is a strip right down the East and West border. But as a rule the center part of Mo., south of Interstate 70 is CRP (Cedars, Rocks and Persimmoms) Pasture, grazing and timber.

There are some little creek and river bottoms that is real good ground, but when you look at a map and most of that area is in the Mark Twain Forest, well, that is sort of a tip off.

Gene

If you read the Little House books, then you will enjoy a visit there. The place is about the Ignalls and Wilder families, it is not a farm museum type place. The house is interesting as an example of people making do with their resources, since it is an "added on to" house.

KEH

I read all the books years ago and still watch the reruns occasionally. We have a daughter in springfield and have thought about hitting that place when were down that way. Probably mean more to me than the grandkids.

Trade within the native community was more wide-spread than anyone really thinks- or thought- it was. During their first winter, in the Mandan villages in what is now North Dakota, the blacksmith with the Corps of Expedition- the Lewis and Clark expedition- melted down several cook-pots to make knives and axes and such for trade with the Indians. The axes ended up being rather popular and some of those reached the Pacific ocean before the expedition did.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back