D-14 Power Steering Seals and Secrets

Hi Guys - just started a total rebuild of a 1959 D-14. I look at this in my outbuilding and think,,,,there is hope. Taken everything off the front end to start
replacing leaking seals. First up is a decision or two to make on the power steering unit. I have it out on the bench, and have reviewed the service manual a
little on it's internals. Main question for those that have been down this path - seals and leaks. Two seals for sure that have to be replaced - one around the
bottom steering shaft, and another in the steering control valve where the steering shaft exits the control valve. I have those on order. With that, can anyone
chime in on common problems i should try to solve while this thing is out of the tractor. I see paper gaskets between steel shims on the bottom of the steering
shaft retainer, and o rings in the steering control valve and steering ram. If i could order those, hey great, but my internet searches don't make this an easy to
find gasket rebuild kit. So, any info from the experienced would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Toolman.

There are no "kits" to rebuild anything. One piece at a time. Turn the whole support upside down and remove the bottom cover to replace a large O-ring on that cover and the shaft oil seal. I always pull a couple of shims to place the bearings under a SLIGHT pre-load. Figure this out before final assembly with the large O-ring. Use a thin layer of RTV on the O-ring area to help it slide back together and have no leaks. The rack guide on the right side has thin paper shims layered with steel shims. If it is dry, just make sure the allen head bolts are TIGHT as they sometimes loosen up. The control valve has some O-rings inside and paper gasket to mount and if it ain't leaking and WORKING, I wouldn't coach anyone as to how to disassemble and ADJUST it to again work correctly. They can be kind of picky on how they work when reassembled.

(quoted from post at 04:38:21 04/11/23) There are no "kits" to rebuild anything. One piece at a time. Turn the whole support upside down and remove the bottom cover to replace a large O-ring on that cover and the shaft oil seal. I always pull a couple of shims to place the bearings under a SLIGHT pre-load. Figure this out before final assembly with the large O-ring. Use a thin layer of RTV on the O-ring area to help it slide back together and have no leaks. The rack guide on the right side has thin paper shims layered with steel shims. If it is dry, just make sure the allen head bolts are TIGHT as they sometimes loosen up. The control valve has some O-rings inside and paper gasket to mount and if it ain't leaking and WORKING, I wouldn't coach anyone as to how to disassemble and ADJUST it to again work correctly. They can be kind of picky on how they work when reassembled.

Thanks for the tips. Reading/looking at other posts on this thing, Starting disassembly on the unit this weekend. I'm hoping none of the gears has an abundance of play. O-ring hunting tomorrow.

I wouldn't spend one minute looking for parts other than thru an AGCO dealership. If they can no longer get what you need, look elsewhere.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back