Decent rock shaft lift arm puller?

Does it exist already or do I have to make it? I’m finding nothing. Anybody have a decent one of these almost like a pitman arm puller but beefier? There has to be something better than my jaw puller. Just spent the better half of an afternoon fighting one with hammers air hammers and slide hammers and penetrating oil and heat with the torch combo of all three nothing...this is the first one that I gave up on and it made me cut it off.

Rockshaft arm on what? All sorts of different tractors have a variety of rockshaft arms.
Why do you still need a puller if you cut it off?

4020 3020 John Deere for sure. Most aren’t that different in size and the smaller ones aren’t really my concern. There has to be something nice there’s a big taper on the shaft in the center for a puller. I don’t figure it’s the last by a long shot there’s been 4 20 series through in the last 6 months. It seems like something that would go well if I had the right tooling but the book just says remove arms. 60 years ago when it was built great plan. Id just love not to wreck a perfectly good arm when my only option is the scrapyard. If it fits the odd red thing maybe bigger green stuff great.

Last edited:
4020 3020 John Deere for sure. Most aren’t that different in size and the smaller ones aren’t really my concern. There has to be something nice there’s a big taper on the shaft in the center for a puller. I don’t figure it’s the last by a long shot there’s been 4 20 series through in the last 6 months. It seems like something that would go well if I had the right tooling but the book just says remove arms. 60 years ago when it was built great plan. Id just love not to wreck a perfectly good arm when my only option is the scrapyard. If it fits the odd red thing maybe bigger green stuff great.
Why does the lift arm need to be removed from the rockshaft? Just curious?

The outer dust seal was sitting sideways in the housing. It had paint on it in that position that wasn’t anywhere near fresh so it’s been that way awhile. At least 30 years is my guess. But owner had seen it and wanted it done. Bushings inside seemed tight not much play in the shaft.

I replaced them on my Oliver. One side was oily and slid right off but the other side was rusted tight. I drove the shaft through to get it out. My 12 ton press and torch didn't help. I took it to a local truck garage and their 40 with torch got it out. I don't now about yours but the Oliver rockshaft had the center splines larger than the outers so it pushed the bushing out with the shaft.

I think that shaft would fit all the way through in this case if the connecting rod was disconnected I wasn’t going after the whole thing just the outside and didn’t want to pull apart the whole thing. Even if the housing was off it would be nice to have something that would work in most but the worst cases. Seems like I might have to build something...I don’t have a portable press but it might be time

Does it exist already or do I have to make it? I’m finding nothing. Anybody have a decent one of these almost like a pitman arm puller but beefier? There has to be something better than my jaw puller. Just spent the better half of an afternoon fighting one with hammers air hammers and slide hammers and penetrating oil and heat with the torch combo of all three nothing...this is the first one that I gave up on and it made me cut it off.
SLwnLUJ.jpeg

Would a large version of this "bearing splitter" work?

Would need to flip the clamp part over.

That’s kinda what I have already I didn’t grab it because it needs to be an order of magnitude bigger as far as the pusher screw part and if I got a bigger one it would still have to fit behind the arm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back