Farmall 504 and the D-188

charles todd

Hello Pullers, I am from the Farmall/IH message board and I have some questions about my 504.

From my research, the D-188 was not used on very many pieces of equipment other than the 504 and 2504. I do not know the exact figures, but the compression ratio of about 16.5 seems right. If I rebuild the engine (sleeves, pistons, head job, bearings, ect) and have a fresh build, could I shave the head. If I bumped the CR up to lets say, 17.1 - 18.1, would it give much more power? Would it run? Would it fly apart? I read a post on the IH/Farmall board a few days back about naturaly aspirated diesel engines having a low EGT, so I take this as there is room for improvement of what I currently have.

I am not interested in professional tractor pulling, but I would not mind trying it out this fall at the Louisiana State Fair :) Whatcha think?

I know, I am asking to blow the engine up... Could I retro-fit on a turbo? M&W did not make one for the 4 cyls but I know they have them for the 6's. Could I use my skills to graft one onto the manifolds with a light boost, turn up the fuel a little and shave the head without catastrophic failures or explosion?

Thanks again, it has been raining like crazy here and I am couped up inside with my mind racing.

Charles

The cyl head is flat, no comb. chamber. Shaving would not make any differance. Look in I H industrial engines, you might find one with a turbo. That would take care of all your compresson needs.

Is that block the same as the C-200 used in a 544 IH??? the block looks like a C series 6 cyl block, but with 2 cyls cut off it,,,,,,, ??????
If it is,,,,, its the same piston and rods the C series 6 cyls used,,,,, so surely possible to get a ci increase,,,,,

but if its not,,,, then disreguard this then. LOL! ChadS [email protected]

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back