Farmall M transmission stuck, will not move

My M is stuck in reverse. I cannot get it out of gear and the tractor won't move when I let out the clutch, the motor just pulls down. I've removed the shifter and tried to align the rails, but cannot get them to move. I've raised the rear wheels and cannot get either one to turn by hand. Searched the forum, but can't find an answer. Can someone provide some advice?

if your temps are below freezing, check the differential for ice. not uncommon to get a couple gallons of water in there and it freezes up. if its froze, you break something if you force it.

As Glenster says your tranny mite be froze thats why the rails wont move and probably why the shift lever slipped in the first place. Remove the drain then space heater to thaw the tranny out.

You might have to pull the top cover, detent ball could be stuck between cover and rail. the bolt comes loose under the top cover.

If no joy with the responses below, removal of the Belt Pulley, (or cover if no pulley) will give pretty good access to the gears. If they are way jammed, leaving one rear wheel in the air while moving the sliding gear with a crow bar will relieve most of the pressure. Jim

When I had the shifter out, I could see the 2-3 & 4-5 slides were lined up ok, but the R-1 was moved toward the rear and I couldn't budge it with a long screwdriver or the shifter when I re-inserted it, even with one wheel off the ground and the clutch depressed. If I take the bolts out of the belt pulley gear box, does it just lift off or is there anything tricky about removing it? If I take it out, and the R-1 fork is moved to the rear, is there a way to get a pry bar on it and move it forward?

It's 26 degrees today, but it's been colder and I could still shift and drive the tractor, so I don't think ice would be the issue.

Just a thought but if your stuck in 2 gears (I'm assumming since you don't think ice is the problem), wouldn't the 2 sliders that are "lined up" need to be moved to match the other 1? How else could you be in 2 gears? In other words, don't you need to move 2-3 and 4-5 to match 1-R? If only one slider is out of alignment you couldn't be in 2 gears could you?

That's what I'm thinking, but 2-3 & 4-5 appear to be in the center (neutral) position. Plus, I've tried moving them with a pry bar, but couldn't.

You will be able to see very well into the situation. First and reverse slider is the rearmose gear on the top shaft. moving it to clear the jamed situation should be easy with a flatbar or other small pry bar. However if the gera is actually loose, the shift rails may be the issue. there are detent balls and springs that can and do get out of their containment. If the 1/R sliding gear is loose on the shaft and will wiggle easily withing the confines of the shifter fork, the shifter fork is being held by the rails. Pulling the cover off then might be the only way to get at the problem. The 6 bolts that hold the pulley drive are easy to get loose. (the two highest bolts probably need to stay in the casting as they will hit the fuel tank, slide the housing up and out with those two in their holes but loose. Jim

(quoted from post at 21:51:47 02/03/14) 26 and colder and ice can't be an issue? Are we talking F?

He has been using it.

If it was going to freeze, it would have frozen long before now.

With things bound up that tight, I doubt it's stuck in two gears.

I suspect something let loose in there.

Best course of action now is to get it into the shop, pull the transmission cover, and figure out what happened.

Took the belt pulley assembly off this morning and found the grease/water ratio in the transmission had exceeded the critical limit and frozen solid (well, at least semi-solid). I have 2 heat lamps on it now to thaw out. Still can't figure out why it would work on Saturday, but not on Monday. Guess enough creeped in from the last snowfall. Thanks for all the help

i had one of my m's do that. ran it one day, the next day it wouldnt move. pulled the shifter as you did, couldnt budge anything. it was full of water, prolly 3-4 gallons finally drained out. you can start a charcoal fire in a metal pan and put it under the differential. pull the rear drain plug first while its still froze and clean out any goo in the hole that may plug it up, then put the drain plug in loose. then put the heat on it. have 5 or 6 5 gallon pails handy, cause when she finally goes, its a mess!! i was short one bucket. there is about 13 gallons of oil in there, plus however much water.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back