Ford 4600 loader rebuild problem

John Laz

New User
I recently decided to replace everything in the hydraulic system on my loader due to leaking cylinders, frayed hoses on the verge of blowing and a control valve assy that was falling apart.
I went ahead and sprung for all brand new components to hopefully make life easier.
So far, not the case.
Its all installed according to specs and diagrams Ive been able to find. The problem is that when I engage the lift, it only booms up about 3 inches. If I back off the lever and release some pressure, I can engage it again and boom up another 3 inches. I can raise the boom up all the way but only 3 at a time.
The other problem is that the bucket cylinder wont go in or out but the system loads up like its over pressure.
Im pretty confident that all components are in good shape and seals are good.
Ive never replaced a complete system before and was hoping for a plug-and-play program. Im at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. It seems so close to working. Any ideas are appreciated.

(quoted from post at 22:21:30 06/25/21) I recently decided to replace everything in the hydraulic system on my loader due to leaking cylinders, frayed hoses on the verge of blowing and a control valve assy that was falling apart.
I went ahead and sprung for all brand new components to hopefully make life easier.
So far, not the case.
Its all installed according to specs and diagrams Ive been able to find. The problem is that when I engage the lift, it only booms up about 3 inches. If I back off the lever and release some pressure, I can engage it again and boom up another 3 inches. I can raise the boom up all the way but only 3 at a time.
The other problem is that the bucket cylinder wont go in or out but the system loads up like its over pressure.
Im pretty confident that all components are in good shape and seals are good.
Ive never replaced a complete system before and was hoping for a plug-and-play program. Im at a bit of a loss as to what to try next. It seems so close to working. Any ideas are appreciated.

You've mixed up the hoses.

I have no idea how you are connecting to the tractor
hydraulics. But sometimes the pioneer style quick couplers
can act like that. Especially if you have a miss match of the
male and female styles such as a pointed tip type vs a ball
type. The link shows a pointed tip style, the ball style just
has an exposed round ball when disconnected.
Pointed tip coupler example

Does the frame twist and the engine load when you try to make a move?

Is it possible the cylinders are plumbed opposite each other, one going in while the other going out?

Also could be the couplers not properly connected. They are difficult or impossible to connect if under pressure.

Is the control valve a direct replacement? Is it plumbed properly?

If the system is open center, and you have a closed center valve, it coul act as though it has no way to return oil to th reservoir until put in
neutral. jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back